Sign in to follow this  
Neyko

Canister Filter Recommendations/Suggestions.

Hi everybody :)

I'm in the process of cycling a 40 gallon, but I've only got one filter so far. It's an AquaClear 70 with the a big sponge, some ceramic media, and some filter floss I cut out. I know I need another filter if I want goldies, and from what I've gathered a canister filter would probably be a good choice.

I've been looking at these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunsun-External-Canister-Sterilizer-Aquarium/dp/B00896IILA/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1417625280&sr=1-2&keywords=sunsun+canister+filter

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A212-306-External-Filter/dp/B005QRDDWY/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1417629182&sr=1-1&keywords=fluval+306

I'm leaning toward the SunSun, because it has decent reviews and seems to be more cost effective, but I'm not sure since I've never heard of the brand. What do you guys think?

I have 3 sun sun canisters in 3 different sizes!!....albeit in a different name!!...great canisters and run silent!!!!

One thing I noticed about the sunsun is that it uses over four times the amount of watts that the fluval does. The cheap sunsun also comes with no media. Yes the sunsun package with media is still considerably cheaper but you have to ask yourself, why? As I look back in my life, it seems every time I went the cheap route on something I regretted it, and eventually had to end up buyinv the more expensive product at some point anyway. When I go ahead and buy the better quality item first, I rarely have problems.

I love my sunsuns. I haven't had any problems with them. The only thing I would say is that they are probably a bit overrated in the actual vs. claimed GPH. Out of the 2 you linked though it is 370GPH for the sunsun vs. 105GPH for 3x the money with the Fluval. I would assume the Fluval is made better just because of the name, but I have never owned a Fluval so I cannot comment on their quality. I have had many issues with my AC110 and none with my Sunsuns, so name and price doesn't always equal quality.

I have a 306 and really like it. It is SUPER easy to set up and clean. Came with everything, except I added a spray bar and removed the carbon. I packed the carbon tray with more media. I thought the output nozzle was a little to much in my 40b, but I think others use it with no problem on their 40b.

I have had both--a used fluval which came with the used 125 tank--and a new aquatop cf-400--same as Sunsun.  I called Fluval for help--a clip broke--and they were unhelpful is the kindest thing I could say.  Even after ordering some new parts, I could not get it to work properly...

I have had no issues with the aquatop.  When it arrived the quartz sleeve was broken...new one arrived priority mail...and they were eager to help.  It is very quiet--quieter than my Cascade 1000.  It has plenty of space to customize the media.  Just one bit of advice: fill the filter up 1/2 with tank water and wait until the aquarium is full to prime it.  It will not prime when tank is 1/2 full!

Whichever one you choose have fun with it!

I have had both--a used fluval which came with the used 125 tank--and a new aquatop cf-400--same as Sunsun.  I called Fluval for help--a clip broke--and they were unhelpful is the kindest thing I could say.  Even after ordering some new parts, I could not get it to work properly...

I have had no issues with the aquatop.  When it arrived the quartz sleeve was broken...new one arrived priority mail...and they were eager to help.  It is very quiet--quieter than my Cascade 1000.  It has plenty of space to customize the media.  Just one bit of advice: fill the filter up 1/2 with tank water and wait until the aquarium is full to prime it.  It will not prime when tank is 1/2 full!

Whichever one you choose have fun with it!

I had the same problem with shipping. I had a broken UV lamp and broken impeller shaft, but the seller had them to me in 2 days. I'm not sure whether the blame lies with the packer or shipper.

I love my sunsuns. I haven't had any problems with them. The only thing I would say is that they are probably a bit overrated in the actual vs. claimed GPH. Out of the 2 you linked though it is 370GPH for the sunsun vs. 105GPH for 3x the money with the Fluval. I would assume the Fluval is made better just because of the name, but I have never owned a Fluval so I cannot comment on their quality. I have had many issues with my AC110 and none with my Sunsuns, so name and price doesn't always equal quality.

The output for the Fluval has got to be wrong. Many other sites say 303 gph.

Edited by DieselPlower

The output for the Fluval has got to be wrong. Many other sites say 303 gph.

Yeah, that is strange. Fluval's site says 303GPH. Well, if that is the case, I would assume that the Fluval is closer to the truth. I know my Sunsun doesn't pump 370 through all that media even if it was pumping it downhill. They have been bulletproof up to this point though, so I am happy with them so far.

Every All pond solutions (sun sun) canister I have ever got came with all media supplied!!...I guess its where you get them from!!!...all mine came from eBay!!

Every All pond solutions (sun sun) canister I have ever got came with all media supplied!!...I guess its where you get them from!!!...all mine came from eBay!!

Mine did as well Steve, and they were from Ebay also. I always add my own media anyway to replace the carbon, but I did use the ceramic rings and bio-balls they came with.

I have an API Filstar XP-L (used to be made by Rena), and highly recommend it.

Things I like about it:

- Inexpensive ($117 on sale at Petsmart.com)

- Powerful (strong enough by itself for my 50 gal)

- Clear, easy-to-follow instruction manual helped me to set it up without issue (a huge plus for me - I was afraid of canisters!)

- The filter is a square shape and fits easily in my stand

- Came with plenty of most media (different types of sponges, some biomedia and BioChem Zorb, a zeolite/carbon blend in a sturdy bag)

- Self-priming

- Clear tubing (easy to see when it needs cleaning)

- Easy-to-reach baskets; makes cleaning a breeze

What I didn't like:

- Came with about half the BioChem Stars recommended in the filter manual (I believe 5 instead of 10-12). But this wasn't a problem for me because I had also ordered a bag of Biomax, and just dumped all biomedia into the same basket. Still, they shouldn't say it contains "all the media you need" when it clearly does not.

- The plastic levers at the top are a bit flimsy. I have never broken them on mine, but 3/4 of them were broken on the only one at my local Petsmart (which is why I bought it online, after the employee said I could return it to the store if it had any issues - thankfully, it did not).

I would definitely recommend getting a new canister over a used one, unless it's one you're already familiar with. The instruction manual and ease of mind from the return policy made all the difference for me. :)

Gonna throw another cheap alternative up there.

I've got multiple canisters. Eheim and fluval mainly. But decided to buy and try a different brand.

An aqueal midikani 800.

There are a few different sizes avail but this is the one I got as it was cheap (under $100 aust delivered)

It allows the user to choose where they want the canister or pump.

You can mount the pump outside the tank for looks. Or mount the pump inside the tank so it's a self priming unit.

It also allows you to have the cannister alongside the tank; below or even above. Depending on your situation and space.

The canister came with media (but I bought more and packed it heaps of room inside it)

The pipes and tubes are probably not as good a quality as others ( I'm comparing them to eheim so understandable lol)

The pump I have is only rated at 800L per hour but only uses a measly 6 watts of power. (I've even tested it with a watt meter)

The flow may be small but my pond is spotless with 5 large waiken goldies in it

I set it up as an experiment and I've been impressed.

There is no huge current in the pond. Which is great for some goldies as alot of my fancies stress when too much current.

Edited by blackmoors