Sign in to follow this  
Rhian

Tiger Pleco

I am considering getting a pleco for my tank. It's not set in stone because, well, plecos tend to be a bit more hide-y than I like and a lot of them can be iffy when it comes to plants and being compatible with other fish. I also wanted something a little different than the usual bristlenose (which are adorable, don't get me wrong!).

My usual store for fish has a few tiger pleco (the L002 variety, which is confusing since putting 'tiger pleco' into google got me a much larger, much different looking pleco!) and they look really nice. They're more wood-eater-y than anything, which sounds okay (better than carnivorous, I would assume?) and seem to do okay in community tanks. They also seem to do okay in a pretty wide range of temperature (22-30C is what I saw, which is in the fancy goldfish range, isn't it?).

I am worried because of the size though, they are supposed to get about 4-5 inches. Is that too small?

Does anyone have any experience with this pleco at all?

Can you post a picture of the pleco you want?? may help identify it!! :-)

I know nothing about this fish, but when I google 'Tiger Pleco' and then google 'L002 pleco' I'm getting the same fish coming up :idont

I would suggest sticking with Bristlenose or Rubberlip plecos. Those are the only two that we recommend usually on Koko's for keeping with goldfish, because they are the most docile.

I know nothing about this fish, but when I google 'Tiger Pleco' and then google 'L002 pleco' I'm getting the same fish coming up :idont

That's so weird! I just did it again and it is coming up as the same one, maybe I was more tired than I thought last night?

Can you post a picture of the pleco you want?? may help identify it!! :-)

I don't actually have a picture of the exact one I want to buy. The fish supplier I go to just has a PDF he keeps up to date with the common name as well as the scientific name on his website. The actual store he has is pretty tiny, just several rows of tanks and tubs all stacked on top of each other (probably something like eight feet high?) in a very dark room. So getting pictures isn't easy.

He has the scientific name listed as L002- panaqolus sp.

I would suggest sticking with Bristlenose or Rubberlip plecos. Those are the only two that we recommend usually on Koko's for keeping with goldfish, because they are the most docile.

My understanding was that these two were often recommended because they're common, relatively inexpensive and well known already for getting along with goldfish, rather than being the only two that would work. If the tiger pleco doesn't work for goldfish, that's fine. I would probably just not get a pleco rather than get a bristlenose or rubberlip. I'm just kind of bored of them, haha.

I think it's more about the personality of the breed than anything. It's similar to how no two distinct cichlid breeds behave the same, though they may look very similar. Most plecos are on the aggressive side, even if they're labeled as docile. It's just in their nature to want to protect their territories. :) I enjoy them outside of goldfish tanks, though. Such amazing colors and a range of sizes.

Personally, I don't like keeping anything but goldfish with my goldfish. I feel like there are plenty of ways to make things less boring, because of all the types there are and the different ways you can do the tank. Plus, there's no need to juggle medication, temperature, etc. if you have to treat the main tank for anything because you know everything in there can handle it. :) But that's just my opinion. 

Rubberlips and bristlenose are kept with goldfish because of their temperament, smaller size (compared to other plecos), the ability to live in conditions that goldfish find acceptable and a wonderful talent at eating algae.

I know a bit about bristlenose and I suggest you give them a 2nd look.  If you want "something a little different than the usual bristlenose", check out some of the unusual varieties (and expect to pay a bit more).  They are:

Common 'Wild Type' (brown)

Albino (there are at least 2 types, yellow albino and white albino, but I've never seen a seller make the distinction)

Long Fin (available on many color varieties)

Marbled/Piebald/Calico

Super Red

Green Dragon

Starlight

Blue Eyed 'Albino'

And there are probably a few others I can't think of or don't know about.

I suggest checking Aquabid and Ebay.

Good Luck!

:D

Edited by Acro

The tiger pleco is also a rather peaceful fish, but grows to be about 5" long and should not be kept in anything under 30 gallons.

Other than that they are perfectly fine to keep with goldfish.

Bristlenoses and Rubberlips are not the only ones that can be kept with goldfish, however, these are the two most commonly available ones at most LFS. :)

The tiger pleco is also a rather peaceful fish, but grows to be about 5" long and should not be kept in anything under 30 gallons.

Bristlenoses and Rubberlips are not the only ones that can be kept with goldfish, however, these are the two most commonly available ones at most LFS. :)

That is interesting, I didn't realise there were actually other suitable plecos :)

For those of you who are concerned about size and/or aggression, try to get female BN plecos as they are smaller and less territorial of their caves, etc. The down side is that they don't have those cute bristles.

For those of you who are concerned about size and/or aggression, try to get female BN plecos as they are smaller and less territorial of their caves, etc. The down side is that they don't have those cute bristles.

I don't find them cute :o:rofl

That is interesting, I didn't realise there were actually other suitable plecos :)

I mentioned some of them in my pleco post in my signature, although I forgot to add some more.

Of course, the main issue is ALWAYS the tank setup and stocking level. A stressed pleco is more likely to be aggressive than one kept in - to him - comfortable conditions. I kept a (somewhat stunted, by now 10" ) 6 year old common pleco with my goldfish in a 55g and never had a problem.

Now I would not suggest a common pleco to anyone unless they have a huge tank etc, but plecos are not quite as evil as they are often made out to be (again, see my pleco article in my signature).

Another rather commonly available pleco is the clown pleco. 

These are SUPER mellow. Unlike the common, bristlenose and rubberlips I have (had), the clown pleco is very shy and he will hang out under the drift wood the entire time that there is light on in the tank. He only comes out at night, and the clown pleco grows to only about the size of a bristlenose (roughly 4 inches) versus the rubberlip who is more active during daytime and can grow to be 7 inches long.

Other good choices - although they can be expensive and rare, because I (personally) can find them only at independent LFS where these fish cost between $ 35 and $ 100 even for a juvenile - are for example the beautiful 6" snowball pleco, the 5" flash pleco, 6" goldnugget pleco, 5" medusa pleco and many others.

The main issue with plecos is the size that some species can grow to, combined with them being nocturnal, the waste they produce, and they food they actually manage to get when kept with those piggy goldfish. 

Starvation is the number one reason for plecos to "attack" your goldfish, followed by overcrowding and/or stress due to a lack of hiding places for these mostly nocturnal fish. :)

I have a clown pleco in my tropical tank!!!....I saw him last week!!.....first time in 6 months!!!!!!......looked good though!! Lol

I have 2 female Bristlenose in with my goldfish!!... they know the feeding times and are in the drop zone waiting!!!!!... Great fish!!! :-)

Edited by fingers

Does a pleco need a cave ?

mine hide in the bogwood!!... The clown pleco especially needs bogwood to rasp on and eat!!

Most plecos are nocturnal, and so they prefer having (a) proper hiding place(s) in the tank. That can be a cave, a large enough piece of driftwood, a rock formation, dense vegetation etc.

Just enough to provide more than full coverage and enough space to retreat to, in order to keep the pleco comfortable during his sleeping time, which mostly is during daytime.

Otherwise they tend to become skittish, nervous and aggressive.

Thank you for the information! I'm glad that they can work with goldfish.

I'll probably pick one up for my 60 gallon, I just need to find a nice piece of driftwood. They're so hard to find! I can find any number of tiny pieces for my 20 gallon, but anything bigger than that is like trying to find a unicorn around here.

And one thing to remember when keeping different species.  Your tank will no longer be a "goldfish tank".  It must become a "goldfish tank" AND a "pleco tank". 

Good Luck!

:D

My pleco also runs to his special "food place", when it's time for me to feed everyone! :rofl3

Thank you for the information! I'm glad that they can work with goldfish.

I'll probably pick one up for my 60 gallon, I just need to find a nice piece of driftwood. They're so hard to find! I can find any number of tiny pieces for my 20 gallon, but anything bigger than that is like trying to find a unicorn around here.

Check out Bob's Tropical Plants for driftwood; that's where I got mine and I'm really pleased with it. Another company that sells some really unique pieces is substratesource.com, but they are much more expensive.