Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

New snooty betta on hunger strike

Hi all, I feel like I've risen from the dead here. I've been too nomadic to be involved in the aquarium community lately, and I probably don't know most of you here at this point. I haven't kept aquariums for a few years, and haven't kept any personal aquariums for much longer. Anyways, I have a home now, so now I have two bettas.

The first betta I've had for two weeks and will not eat. He appears perfectly healthy, alert, and active, but just ignores the pellets I give him. I went back to the LFS to ask them what they were feeding because my first thought was that he just didn't recognize it. Turns out they feed Omega One Betta Pellets, the same thing I've been trying. However, they give the snooty ones freeze-dried bloodworms if they don't eat the pellets. I sighed, and asked for a pinch of their bloodworms to take home to see if he'd go for it. He did right away, little snooty-butt.

I really do not want to cave in and feed him freeze-dried bloodworms for the rest of his life. How long is it safe to push a hunger strike? I assume they will eat the pellets before their health degrades??

The other betta is a poor soul that was most likely mislabled as an expensive King Betta. His body might be a little bigger than average, but he's mud brown with fins shorter than most females', so even his big puppydog eyes probably wouldn't have landed him a home. He's probably been at the store for a long time, so I want to condition him up a little. He ate right away, but I've got a small colony of mosquito larvae that I'd like to save for him and preferably not give to snooty-butt.

Have you ever tried Hikari Betta bio-gold? Every Betta I have had would only eat that pellet... Until now. I have two that will eat anything. I feed them both the Betta buffet pellet by omega one, occasional frozen bloodworms, and the Betta bio-gold.