Sign in to follow this  
Dalya-and-her-Goldies

Definition of symptoms

Hey everyone!!! Sorry if there is a thread like that and I missed it. My idea was to make a thread where new members will be able to find an explanation for each symptom. For example you can explain us what crashing, clamping and so on mean.

This is a really good idea, Dalya.  I never really understood what 'flashing' means.  I will start with clamping.

Clamping:  Clamping refers to a fish who holds his fins close to the body. This can be best observed by looking at the anal and pectoral fins as many fish have a floppy dorsal.  A clamping fish will hold the lower fins close to the body for extended periods of time, moving them only occasionally. 

Flashing: Quick movement such as flicking and rubbing on objects on the tank caused by irritation.

Darting: Very quick and often sudden movement through the water. Sort of looking like the fish has panicked.

Great thread idea. :)

This is a really good idea, Dalya. I never really understood what 'flashing' means. I will start with clamping.

Clamping: Clamping refers to a fish who holds his fins close to the body. This can be best observed by looking at the anal and pectoral fins as many fish have a floppy dorsal. A clamping fish will hold the lower fins close to the body for extended periods of time, moving them only occasionally.

Thanks for including the part about not looking at the dorsal. I did not learn this until relatively recently, and thought my veiltail was clamping when in reality she just has really long fins and drops her dorsal when she gets tired from time to time!

Yawning: Similar to a human yawn; may be indicative of gill flukes if done excessively. Fish opens its mouth wide and leaves it open for a second or two.

Fraying: Fish's fins are ragged at the edges.

Streaking: Fish has visible red veins in its fins.

Mushy belly: Fish's abdomen is soft and mushy; may be indicative of an internal bacterial infection. Periodic physical examinations of all fish are recommended; doing so will allow the keeper to familiarize himself with the baseline and recognize anomalies.

When I get home I will have a look at my copy of Fancy Goldfish by Johnson & Hess. It includes a list of symptoms and what they may indicate. It's a very useful book to have.

And I agree; this is a great thread!

Piping = gasping and gulping air at the water's surface.

Piping = gasping and gulping air at the water's surface.

That's a new one to me!

Pineconing = Scales standing out from the body often accompanied by abdominal bloating.  The fish resembles a pine cone, particularly when viewed from above.

Gaping = holding the mouth open.

Great thread!

Bottom sitting = fish is "sitting" at the bottom of the tank, not moving around much if at all.

Floating, Floaty Issues - when a gold fish floats belly up at the top of the tank. Often a sign of constipation brought about by over feeding or feeding the wrong food

:D I agree this thread is a great idea