Sign in to follow this  
Glenn

Which kind of silicone?

My aquarium has sprung a leak. I know I need to cut the old silicone sealant off with a razorblade and remove the residue with some VERY fine wet sand paper. Now I just need to pick out the silicone replacement. The store had a tiny tube that said 100% silicone aquarium safe. Is that how I know what I'm buying is safe? If it says 100% silicone? How do I test for a leak afterward? Thanks in advance for any help your can provide.

TTFN

Glenn Dalton

What's the brand? If it specifically says "aquarium safe" on the tube, I'd think it would be.

Well the only one that says "Aquarium safe" are these really tiny tubes I would need like 10 of them. I'm picking up HOB's at a specialty store tomorrow. They will have all the silicone I need. I'm also going to buy a Rena400 for my bedroom tank. The Hagen 802's that power the UGF use a Ventura valve to add air and even MORE surface agitation when I get bubbles. I think they are the quietest and they can really push there way fully to 2 feet below surface. I've seen a youtube vid where a guy hot glues his rena400 into absolute silence. The Hagen 802's and my Ecipse hoods are no longer being manufactured any more Either. I guess I'm just a little stubborn. BUT my Fluval FX6's are all brand new. I'm filling them with SeaChem's matrix. You would be surprised how much this canister filter can accommodate in the way of bio media. Oh and the brand is DAP 2.8OZ.

Glenn

Well the only one that says "Aquarium safe" are these really tiny tubes I would need like 10 of them. I'm picking up HOB's at a specialty store tomorrow. They will have all the silicone I need. I'm also going to buy a Rena400 for my bedroom tank. The Hagen 802's that power the UGF use a Ventura valve to add air and even MORE surface agitation when I get bubbles. I think they are the quietest and they can really push there way fully to 2 feet below surface. I've seen a youtube vid where a guy hot glues his rena400 into absolute silence. The Hagen 802's and my Ecipse hoods are no longer being manufactured any more Either. I guess I'm just a little stubborn. BUT my Fluval FX6's are all brand new. I'm filling them with SeaChem's matrix. You would be surprised how much this canister filter can accommodate in the way of bio media. Oh and the brand is DAP 2.8OZ.

Glenn

Yeah the old Rena filters are being manufactured by API now (although the tubing it uses is still made by Rena). I have the API Filstar XP-L, and I love it. It is powerful, has a TON of room for biomedia, self primes and is super quiet. I also like that the tubing is clear so that I can see when I need to clean it! I bought mine on sale at Petsmart.com for $117, which is a good deal and you can also return it to a local store if there are any issues. If this was the filter you were thinking of when you mentioned the Rena, they should have some good deals on it for Cyber Monday tomorrow. :) Edited by *Amanda*

I was speaking of Rena400 the air pump. But NOW I have to go check out yours LOL!! I already bought 8 Fluval FX6's using my sellers permit to get a wholesale price of 1600.00 dollars. Helen said I needed to prepare for the worst case scenario of having numerous fish fall ill with several different ailments and treatments. She thinks I'm being overly ambitious. So I set up 20 20 gallon tanks in the basement and am going to buy 20 HOB filters with bio-wheels and thermostats for quarantine/medical treatment. Do you think that's enough? My cousin works in Canada at carpfarmersmarket.com. He told me stories about illness and mismanagement that lead to the loss of entire crops. All I want is a black velvety ruykin. Is that too much to ask?

Any 100% silicon is fine, you can buy the ones from home reno stores and they will work great, just make sure not to buy the kind for bathrooms because it has a mildew protector in it which is bad for the fish

:clapping:Thank you Haley. That will save me some money.

Glenn

Any 100% silicon is fine, you can buy the ones from home reno stores and they will work great, just make sure not to buy the kind for bathrooms because it has a mildew protector in it which is bad for the fish

There are 100% silicones with mildewcide that will kill fish.

look for GE silicone 1 for windows and doors, and make sure it doesn't mention mildew.

It will say not safe for aquarium use, it's a liability thing so use at your own risk.

I wouldn't use it for large structural applications without doing a lot of research but should be fine for caulking.

I was speaking of Rena400 the air pump. But NOW I have to go check out yours LOL!! I already bought 8 Fluval FX6's using my sellers permit to get a wholesale price of 1600.00 dollars. Helen said I needed to prepare for the worst case scenario of having numerous fish fall ill with several different ailments and treatments. She thinks I'm being overly ambitious. So I set up 20 20 gallon tanks in the basement and am going to buy 20 HOB filters with bio-wheels and thermostats for quarantine/medical treatment. Do you think that's enough? My cousin works in Canada at carpfarmersmarket.com. He told me stories about illness and mismanagement that lead to the loss of entire crops. All I want is a black velvety ruykin. Is that too much to ask?

Are you getting a bulk discount for buying the 20 aquariums and 20 HOBs? If not, you may want to start with fewer (or if so, you could buy everything all at once but not set them all up at once). This is just my opinion, just in case you get started and realize the 20 tanks are too much work/not enjoyable. I had 4 tanks at one time, and that was exhausting! Then again, I also have a job at which I work 60+ hours a week. Now I just have the one tank at my house and one I care for at my boyfriend's house, but I'm not doing a breeding operation. (Well, I try, but the eggs won't hatch! Pretty sure my male is infertile, and I don't have room for another.)

My favorite HOB is the Aqueon QuietFlow. It's a cheap filter, and has room for a bag of Biomax. I did have a tank with a Marineland BioWheel (I got it as part of a 20 gal package set from Petsmart), but the main thing I didn't like about it was that the BioWheel regularly stopped spinning. The intake also had very narrow slits that weren't great at picking up larger debris, but that could probably be modified.

Anyway, good luck - you seem committed to this, and I hope you are successful! I absolutely adore velvety black goldfish, and never had one myself. Have you picked out your breeding stock yet? What do the parents look like? I don't know too much about goldfish genetics, but it's fascinating to me!

Edited by *Amanda*

Glenn - how do you balance a goldfish rescue with a breeding operation? One you save others unwanted fish the other you produce many more unwanted fish.

In a breeding operation, conservatively you discard 10 to 100 fish for everyone you keep. Most euthanize their culls, what will you do with yours?

Are you getting a bulk discount for buying the 20 aquariums and 20 HOBs? 

Not the aquariums. I get those donated from the North Bay Herpetological Society. Peoples lizards become aggressive during breeding season and become too much to handle so they turn them in with what ever they happened to be being kept in. That's how I got all those huge aquariums in the first place. The HOB's I got wholesale through my business. They hadn't  come in yet so I have to make another trip down there while they unload their delivery pallets. I DID get all of my Fluval FX6's. Watched a bunch of youtube vids of how to put them together. Still confused why all three sponges should be kept in the first tray.

If not, you may want to start with fewer (or if so, you could buy everything all at once but not set them all up at once). This is just my opinion, just in case you get started and realize the 20 tanks are too much work/not enjoyable.

No I already consider it work. Something for my OCD to focus on.

I am used to working the grave yard shift giving cats and dogs there medications on the hour every hour. Maintenancing the tanks is something I'm already acclimated to doing. Besides I'm developing ways to maintenancing them faster and better. I bought an electric sump pump that moves 120GPM. So less than a minute to empty a tank of it's water and a VERY large strainer to keep fish from getting sucked up.. I got an electronic water heater that will heat the water to a preset specific temp to get the water changes right. I think if I keep tweaking the system I could make it pretty streamlined. (or blow something up trying). I was thinking about asking Icthicus (David) about starting a breeding project but he is usually so busy. I've been reading a lot on goldfish biology in Mandarin and most of it is sinking in (through this pain medication haze).

Oh no they will have one mosquito fish in each one to keep it cycled but are for emergencey quarrentine and medical treatment only. One of those compromises I had to make with logic from doing such a large operation. People here on the list were concerned I was taking on too much too fast.

I had 4 tanks at one time, and that was exhausting! Then again, I also have a job at which I work 60+ hours a week. Now I just have the one tank at my house and one I care for at my boyfriend's house, but I'm not doing a breeding operation. (Well, I try, but the eggs won't hatch! Pretty sure my male is infertile, and I don't have room for another.)

My favorite HOB is the Aqueon QuietFlow. It's a cheap filter, and has room for a bag of Biomax. I did have a tank with a Marineland BioWheel (I got it as part of a 20 gal package set from Petsmart), but the main thing I didn't like about it was that the BioWheel regularly stopped spinning. The intake also had very narrow slits that weren't great at picking up larger debris, but that could probably be modified.

I chose from a variety of Eheim models and got them all at wholesale prices. I made sure they all have a bio-wheel and room for some purgin or SeaChem's matrx. I was working on the decorations on top of my 65 gallon (bedroom) tank which is tall by itself but then add on the Eclipse hoods and I needed a stand. I slipped off the moist stand and dislocated my arm. A shot of (I think they called it Darvocet) at the hospital and I was feeling absolutely NO PAIN. They popped it back in and gave me a brace. I have to go see my doctor tomorrow :P. The Frankenstein 40 are making great improvements. I didn't go into work today but one of the new excitable interns got to do a goldfish necropsy, debris a wound, stich up a goldfish and apply our latest idea Bio-Bandage and removed them from the erythromycin they were in. David is totally fascinated by what the creep and crud was that they had. Morphology says it's the rough variation of Mycobacter Vacce (SP???) but the PCR said it was something totally different. Maybe even a new undiscovered variant of mycobacter. I suggested my boss name it Icthirus LOL.

Ask DNALEX about your problems breeding. He will probably tell you it's something so simple you never considered it like the PH being off or something. I got my new water hardness tester in the mail today. It measures total dissolved solids and cost 1/10th the price. My GH is around 140 so not too bad.

Anyway, good luck - you seem committed to this, and I hope you are successful! I absolutely adore velvety black goldfish, and never had one myself. Have you picked out your breeding stock yet? What do the parents look like? I don't know too much about goldfish genetics, but it's fascinating to me! Well first I have to pick a ruykin with good confirmation, then I need to choose a different type of goldfish who has a ton of melanocytes but no googley eyes like a black Oranda or Ranchu. Then line breed them until I get the most pleasing body shape with the deepest darkest velvety color. I'm also going to try and breed Prussian Carp back into a line of goldfish. It has been theorized that by cross breeding one of the original ancestors, that you could have your fry express previously unseen shapes and colors. Sounds exciting doesn't it?

Good question. I've thought a lot about culling. My rescue operations enhance quality and quantity of goldfish life while teaching others how to reach there full compassion and empathy. Everything in life has to eat, and I thought it would be a good way to go becoming the substance of another life form. What about you? Do you have culling guilt?

Oh I bought some silicone today. General Electric 100% silicone, clear #1. I'll call the company tomorrow just to be on the safe side. But I checked it has no mold resistance or anything special about it other than being 100% silicone.

Glenn

No, I have no problems culling fish, everyone who buys fancy fish has to face the fact this is how these fish are produced.

The reason I asked is because the two operations are so counter to each other. Kind of like running a dog shelter and a puppy mill at the same time.

Did you get window and door or kitchen and bathroom GE silicone 1?

No, I have no problems culling fish, everyone who buys fancy fish has to face the fact this is how these fish are produced.

The reason I asked is because the two operations are so counter to each other. Kind of like running a dog shelter and a puppy mill at the same time.

Did you get window and door or kitchen and bathroom GE silicone 1?

Windows/door/attic/basement GE silicone 1.

Well I consider myself an animal rights advocate and yet at the same time I advocate the euthanasia of wild cat colonies. Nothing in life is ever black or white. Goldfish have reaped the reward of a symbiotic relationship with man for over 2000 years. They have abrogated the write to take over their right of when to live and when they die as long as they go on entertaining us with there never ending varieties of shape and color. I know that sounds cruel but as a pragmatist I often see it this way. Is that weird?

Glenn