MG of fish get how many MG of food chart?

Glenn

Hi everyone,

I saw a post where DNALEX was able to tell a woman how many grams of food she should give to however many MG of goldfish. I've heard no more than they can eat in three minutes and feed them the volume of one of their eyes but never something so specific and useful. I think a  more comprehensive chart of how much to feed your goldfish based on their weight would solve a lot of problems for people. I tend to overfeed. Two of the fish I bought about 10 years ago were completely emaciated. I was told by a friend who worked at this particular pet shop that they were instructed not to ever feed the goldfish since they create so much waste. The keel of the fish I bought were very sharp and had no muscle. A digital scale costs 20.00 at Walmart. I think a chart would be a great idea. Especially for those of us who have automatic feeders. Does anyone (besides DNALEX) have the smarts to make a chart for the rest of us? Maybe later after people have recorded their weight for awhile we could find the optimal amount to feed goldfish for maximum growth. Even test growth rate compared to the brand of food they are eating.

Just a thought :)

Thank you to you all. Your fish tanks and fish are so beautiful, THATS the kind of stuff I aspire to. I think I will start off with 1.5 % and weigh the fish weekly. I have to clean there tank once a week anyway. I had an early childhood trauma involving siphoning up a goldfish so I'm always nervous when I put my python into the tank even though it has a screen. Do you guys think the temperature will effect the way a goldfish metabolizes it's calories? I used to use excel to keep track of my peak flow lung volume (I used to have really bad asthma) in order to determine what pollen I was most allergic too. I guess I can do the same with goldfish weight. Excel is still the leading database program out there right? It has been quite a while since I made a chart. I'm using New Life Spectrum Goldfish Formula with mixed blanched veggies. Having them forage on a blanched piece of chard all day seems more natural than a huge hit of food 3 times a day.

Edited by Glenn

Thank you to you all. Your fish tanks and fish are so beautiful, THATS the kind of stuff I aspire to. I think I will start off with 1.5 % and weigh the fish weekly. I have to clean there tank once a week anyway. I had an early childhood trauma involving siphoning up a goldfish so I'm always nervous when I put my python into the tank even though it has a screen. Do you guys think the temperature will effect the way a goldfish metabolizes it's calories? I used to use excel to keep track of my peak flow lung volume (I used to have really bad asthma) in order to determine what pollen I was most allergic too. I guess I can do the same with goldfish weight. Excel is still the leading database program out there right? It has been quite a while since I made a chart. I'm using New Life Spectrum Goldfish Formula with mixed blanched veggies. Having them forage on a blanched piece of chard all day seems more natural than a huge hit of food 3 times a day.

I just want to be sure that you understand that the dosage for Medi-Gold (MG) is 1% of the fish's body weight.  

Other non-medicated food can be fed with a little less precision, but if you're dealing with meds, then we must be careful.

Edited by yafashelli

Do you guys think the temperature will effect the way a goldfish metabolizes it's calories? 

This is without a doubt a major factor and needs to be taken into account.

I don't know that I would go with 1.5%. It's too much, especially for this time of year. I would go with 0.5% and then see if there is growth, if the growth is at a reasonable pace, and then go from there.

The rule for 1% for certain medicated foods is because that's the amount that's necessary to deliver the proper amount of meds to the fish. It's actually a lot of food, and not something that you should just jump into. Your water quality also may be affected.

Then .5% it is. My boss did have me purchase two different kinds of medicated food yesterday. He's just worried about all the meds having a negative synergistic effect on their kidneys. On Monday I'm going to try that Bio-bandage and take them out of the erythromycin. In reality I think I should have euthanized some of them But all 40 are showing extreme improvement. It's amazing what good water and TLC will do for you.

Glenn

Perhaps you might even hold off on medications at all for now, and try just clean water and judicious quantities of quality food. I get the impression that they have received a lot of treatments, and I would give them a break for now.

Failing that, just salt to 0.2-0.3%

Thanks DNALEX. Sounds good to me.  The potassium permanganate dip was the hardest on them, But most of the general redness is long gone so there has been improvement. OH while I have your attention, do you have a suggestion on what brand of auto feeder is best? I also need a new scale. One more sensitive. I need one that goes down to the fractions of a gram. As it is now I can only get it to the nearest gram. Most of my fish weigh 10 grams .05% will be less than one pellet. Maybe I should crush the NLS pellets and add them to agar agar. to get the correct amount of calories. OH! I was reading about cycling (an article by Mr. Arthur) and it said the nitrifying bacteria was most effective between 77 degrees and 82 degrees. Do you think it's advisable to raise my temp to 77 degrees? 77 is just like a warm summer day. I also put the lights on a timer to get them to sleep regularly.12 on and 12 off. I will increase the light and temp when I want them to breed. Oh Speakng of which I posted an old picture of the daddy to all my fry. He is quite unique looking in that he looks like a type of koi. all nacreous white with a really red spot on his forehead. After 6 weeks I can already tell he has passed this trait onto his offspring. Some just like him, others with a bifurcated tail, and still some turning red and white with the big red spot. I'm wondering if this trait will become valued. Back on topic, While I'm doing my Friday tank cleaning I'll weigh my fish and post the results. Just as soon as I can remember how to use Excel. My cognitive dysfunction is horrible today. I think I overdid it yesterday But everyone wanted their roses trimmed while they were out shopping. I NETTED 580 dollars at the Healdsburg consignment store. Now I can buy some HOB filters for all the tanks I put in the basement (wine cellar).I'll tell you more about it later. Thanks again for the assist. I think we just need to clone you.  LOL!!

Glenn

A lot of us like the Fish Mate auto feeders.  I have the F14 models, but you may want the Pond Fish Feeder model for larger quantities of fish.

What is the current temperature of their water?  I don't think you need to raise your water temperature to 77 for the Nitrifying bacteria.  In fact, if you want to breed the fish, it is a good ideal to let their water be a little cooler in the winter.  This encourages them to spawn when the water warms back up in the spring/summer.  The other thing is that oxygen is less soluble in warmer water.  So, if your tanks are housing a lot of fish, it would be better to keep the temperature a little lower to make sure there is plenty of dissolved O2.

I have the ability to measure down to the .05% I should be feeding them now, I just need to find out how many times a day should feed them since I'm getting an automatic feeder.  Thank you for the information. There were so many too choose from in all sorts of price ranges. I wasn't sure if it was one of those cases of you get what you pay for or if they were having really good price breaks I have been hanging blanched chard or mustard greens in the tank so they can browse like wild carp  do. A part of my whole "environmental enrichment" I try to use with the goldfish. I mean life in the tank can't be that interesting. Maybe I can just make a whole tray of gel food to ensure there fair share of calories.