Sign in to follow this  
We4wieners

Charachteristics of genders

In south and central American cichlids dorsal's tend to be longer and they are easily vented. Are goldfish on the same track? Are there any obvious visible features distinguishing genders? Are they vented the same way?

On male goldfish, they have thicker pectoral fins and they will get tubercles, also known as breeding stars on their gill plates and the rays of their fins as well as even on the body sometimes. Their vents are concave. On females, they have thin pectorals and their vents convex.

EDIT: Corrections

Edited by Mikey

Mikey, it's actually the opposite with the vents. Females have theirs protruding outwards (convex), while the males have theirs going inwards (concave).

Mikey, it's actually the opposite with the vents. Females have theirs protruding outwards (convex), while the males have theirs going inwards (concave).

Thats what I thought but was not 100% sure on that.

Crap! My bad :doh11::donthit:

Excellent, thank you. Seems relatively similar. Thanks for the quick reply as well

Edited by We4wieners

Also keep your eye out for breeding behaviour as well. That's usually a teller. Males tend to chase females and sort of put their face between the females caudal fins (I know, very gentlemanly :lol)