Filters, do they expire?

Hey guys,

I have a couple marineland HOB filters and I was wondering if you guys knew if the filter cartridges ever "expire" when not in use. I'm asking b/c I'm thinking about stocking up on a bunch when they're on sale so I don't have to worry about running out for a while. I would imagine that they don't, but does the carbon "go bad/get used up" or anything? Thanks!

Hey guys,

I have a couple marineland HOB filters and I was wondering if you guys knew if the filter cartridges ever "expire" when not in use. I'm asking b/c I'm thinking about stocking up on a bunch when they're on sale so I don't have to worry about running out for a while. I would imagine that they don't, but does the carbon "go bad/get used up" or anything? Thanks!

From what I've read, carbon can become a breeding ground for bacteria and it also has an adsorption limit, which is why it needs to be replaced regularly. Personally, I don't use the cartridges. I have a Marineland HOB and I just cut a Drs. Foster and Smith blue bonded filter pad to the same size as the cartridge, and place a bag of Biomax ceramic media in the space behind it for extra biological filtration. It works well for me, and is much, much cheaper than stocking up on cartridges!

Another issue with the cartridge is that when you replace it, your beneficial bacteria get tossed out along with it. This won't happen if you leave a bag of Biomax in the filter at all times and only replace the filter pad when it starts falling apart (but you can squeeze it into a bucket of tank water during each water change).

I believe the question is if unused filter cartridges expire, and the answer to that question is no.  

I'm not disagreeing with any statements about carbon since I know nothing about it.

I believe the question is if unused filter cartridges expire, and the answer to that question is no.

I thought this as well.

Yup, that's what I was asking. I appreciate all the other answers though. I will probably look into changing up my filter technique in the future, but for now the cartridges kinda make it easy for me. 

Can you guys point me to some threads that talk about using alternative media inside your filters? I have a marineland Penguin 150 right now, going to switch to a Penguin 350 soon. As long as I keep those wheels there, I should keep my good bacteria right? 

I believe the question is if unused filter cartridges expire, and the answer to that question is no.  

I'm not disagreeing with any statements about carbon since I know nothing about it.

Oh yes, I just re-read the question and you are right! I didn't see that initially.

They should not expire. We buy activated carbon at work, and it has no expiration date.

I believe the question is if unused filter cartridges expire, and the answer to that question is no.

I thought this as well.

Yup, that's what I was asking. I appreciate all the other answers though. I will probably look into changing up my filter technique in the future, but for now the cartridges kinda make it easy for me. 

Can you guys point me to some threads that talk about using alternative media inside your filters? I have a marineland Penguin 150 right now, going to switch to a Penguin 350 soon. As long as I keep those wheels there, I should keep my good bacteria right? 

I can point some videos out to you.

Even though the wheels do hold a good amount of bacteria, I would still add some ceramic media. Sometimes the wheels can stop, and you'll want a backup source of beneficial bacteria.