To pleco or not to pleco

On temp, the normal range for the fish in question goes from about: 70 - 80°F for Bristlenose and 60 - 80°F for Goldfish.  Clearly there is an overlap. 

Other plecos need different temps, but I don't know about other plecos.   :D

Two other points I'd like to make . . .

Well cared for Bristlenose should not attack a goldfish, even if the goldfish is sick. 

Be sure to have wood for the Bristlenose to rasp on, it is very important for them. 

Good Luck!   

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On temp, the normal range for the fish in question goes from about: 70 - 80°F for Bristlenose and 60 - 80°F for Goldfish.  Clearly there is an overlap. 

Other plecos need different temps, but I don't know about other plecos.   :D

Well cared for Bristlenose should not attack a goldfish, even if the goldfish is sick. 

Be sure to have wood for the Bristlenose to rasp on, it is very important for them. 

Good Luck!   

I was hoping that you'd see this thread! :nana

On temp, the normal range for the fish in question goes from about: 70 - 80°F for Bristlenose and 60 - 80°F for Goldfish. Clearly there is an overlap.

Other plecos need different temps, but I don't know about other plecos. :D

Good Luck!

I was hoping that you'd see this thread! :nana
I was thinking the same thing :teehee

• Supporter

Hey hope you dont mind me bumping this thread but I just ordered a pleco and would like to talk about it some more.

If I need to make I thread I will though so just let me know.

My main question is wood. I dont have any in my tank and did not think it was a necessity for them. But I may be wrong?

Arco said to me when i was asking about my new addition that it is necessary for their digestion. The fibers keep things moving. He said even a small piece is good so they can rasp on it. :)

Ok so ill need a small piece of driftwood. What's the best kinds?

I don't know that the "kind" really matters, so long as it's of a variety typically used in an aquarium.  I have some mopani pieces that I really like. :)

Ok so ill need a small piece of driftwood. What's the best kinds?

Dan, you will need to boil it!!!........or soak it for a good week to remove all the tannins!!... unless you like brown water that is!!!! :-)

I boilled mine on and off for a couple days, dumping the water after using it for a while as it will become saturated with the tannin.  I did not boil it til the water stayed clear.  I think that would have taken way too much time.  I had a 13 or 14" pleco in the tank with the wood and I never once saw him touch it.

Would this work?

d5d01498f088b28f82cf024be1b87da7.jpg

If so can I put anubias on it or would it need to be bare?

I think so. And Anubias would be fine as long as there are spaces for it to rasp :)

Would this work?

Yes, putting Anubias on it would be great! :D

I have a piece of Malaysian driftwood from Bob's Tropical Plants in my tank, and have 2 Anubias and a lace java fern. My BN pleco is either on it or under it most of the time. Here he is, in his favorite spot:

6dfcec141d146c61fe612426134f039a.jpg

Jason, are you sure the wood was just not wide enough for him to rasp properly? 

Another option, though I am not sure how good it is, is Repashy Morning Wood gel food.

No I'm not. I didn't know that was an issue.

Jason, are you sure the wood was just not wide enough for him to rasp properly? 

Another option, though I am not sure how good it is, is Repashy Morning Wood gel food.

No I'm not. I didn't know that was an issue.

If they can't eat it, what's the point in trying? That pleco you had was huge, I have to wonder if his mouth was too big to get a good grip on the driftwood.

Edited by ChelseaM

Would this work?

That is Cholla wood, it is basically the skeleton of a cactus. I had a small piece of Cholla in my tank at first when I bought my Bristle Nose Pleco but the cholla got black and mushy after a while. I now use Malaysian driftwood from the pet store. I think it took 2 or 3 weeks to soak the tannins out of it. My Pleco loves it! Mopani wood is good too I hear.

The driftwood in my tank is Manzanita. It is very beautiful and I've really been enjoying. It can leech a lot of tannins at first but I soaked mine for about a month (it's 4' long) and I haven't had problems since adding it.

760b365eaa967b362657c3c748d627a7.jpg

She's already been at work noming on the algae/ wood.

4f1be8c876bdfe3caf5e23760fbb7700.jpg

Tank is cloudy due to the pic being after a WC. :)

I should not that a white film tends to grow on the wood but I researched and there is no harm from the film and a pleco takes care of it easy :)

Edited by Mernany

• Supporter

Would this work?

That is Cholla wood, it is basically the skeleton of a cactus. I had a small piece of Cholla in my tank at first when I bought my Bristle Nose Pleco but the cholla got black and mushy after a while. I now use Malaysian driftwood from the pet store. I think it took 2 or 3 weeks to soak the tannins out of it. My Pleco loves it! Mopani wood is good too I hear.
Kinda wish I had known that before I ordered it. Ohh well. I guess it can be lizard decor.

Would this work?

That is Cholla wood, it is basically the skeleton of a cactus. I had a small piece of Cholla in my tank at first when I bought my Bristle Nose Pleco but the cholla got black and mushy after a while. I now use Malaysian driftwood from the pet store. I think it took 2 or 3 weeks to soak the tannins out of it. My Pleco loves it! Mopani wood is good too I hear.