To pleco or not to pleco

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a BN pleco in my tank. I don't see him constantly, but usually once a day, and it's always nice to see him :) I couldn't say much about him in terms of his algae eating capabilities, as so far I haven't really had any major algae issues. He used to be terrified of the goldies, but now he will quite happily deal with them barging past him. I can't imagine not having him in the tank now :)

Thanks Lis. I guess its like with many community tanks , as long as you provide good foliage and places to hide the more timid fish will feel more secure about being in the open. You have a single pleco right? Are they quite happy on there own? The one thing in worried about is snacking on the goldfish slimecoat

I have female Albino BN Plecos in both of my Goldfish tanks.  They get along well with my Goldfish and do a great job cleaning the algae.  I enjoy my tanks more now that I don't constantly have to clean algae of of my glass, wood and plants.  They are not at all aggressive.  If anything, they are afraid of the Goldfish :)

Just remember not to get anything other than a bristlenose or rubberlip.

Any pleco could turn on the goldfish, but those are the most docile ones.

Yes. I've read that before. I'll definitely stick to one of those. I'm also aware that some plecos can grown enormous

I have female Albino BN Plecos in both of my Goldfish tanks. They get along well with my Goldfish and do a great job cleaning the algae. I enjoy my tanks more now that I don't constantly have to clean algae of of my glass, wood and plants. They are not at all aggressive. If anything, they are afraid of the Goldfish :)

Do you have one or several in each tank. Do they interact? Do they like company of their own kind?

Thanks Lis. I guess its like with many community tanks , as long as you provide good foliage and places to hide the more timid fish will feel more secure about being in the open. You have a single pleco right? Are they quite happy on there own? The one thing in worried about is snacking on the goldfish slimecoat

Yes I only have one, though I may get another at some point, I've always wanted an albino :P they're perfectly happy alone :) I've heard that males are territorial, though I couldn't tell you how true that is, and if I get another it will be male. I think if you have plenty of hiding places, it isn't such an issue :) they definitely like having somewhere to hide. Mine disappeared as soon as he went into the tank, but I have noticed him becoming braver as time has gone by :)

I have female Albino BN Plecos in both of my Goldfish tanks. They get along well with my Goldfish and do a great job cleaning the algae. I enjoy my tanks more now that I don't constantly have to clean algae of of my glass, wood and plants. They are not at all aggressive. If anything, they are afraid of the Goldfish :)

Do you have one or several in each tank. Do they interact? Do they like company of their own kind?

I have 2 in my 55 gallon and they get along with each other.  They each have their own piece of Mopani wood under which they have excavated caves in the sand.  But, I see them hanging out together fairly often.  I only have one in the other tank.  As I understand it, the males can be somewhat territorial with one another and this is why I have only females.

When I had my bn plecos in with my tropicals the male would always suck the slime coat off my angels so just watch out for any "clingers"

See that's why I need to do some reasearch first. I hope that having a bristlenose or a ripper lipped would stop that from happening. I wouldn't want to have to regime the poor thing

I must say the fact that they eat algae is also a big bonus. I had also though of adding amano shrimps which I ha've in my small tropical. But I think they might just make an expensive snack. I have some corys in my tropical and those guys are extremely entertaining.

I have 2 in my 55 gallon and they get along with each other. They each have their own piece of Mopani wood under which they have excavated caves in the sand. But, I see them hanging out together fairly often. I only have one in the other tank. As I understand it, the males can be somewhat territorial with one another and this is why I have only females.
By the sound of it I'd be better off with one

Males and females are fine together too, it just may result in babies :teehee

I really wanted to add some shrimp, but they're expensive, and I wouldn't like them to get eaten by my piggies.

I just wish corydoras were a suitable tank mate, it would just be a tank full of cuteness :wub::rofl

I have an albino BN pleco named Pacman. Mine is not at all shy, and makes himself seen day and night! He also asserts himself with the Goldies, chasing them off if they get too close, but he never hurts anyone. (In fact, the Goldies sometimes bully him a bit, which is the only time he does this. They take turns trying to see how close they can get!)

I would highly recommend these fish. They are very entertaining and do a great job of keeping the tank clean. I have heard they can be territorial with other plecos though, so I would only keep one per tank (unless you want a pair that have been kept together without issue). I had a rubber nose pleco once, but he was very shy and pretty much stayed in one corner. From what I've read, the BN plecos are normally captive bred as opposed to the RN plecos that are usually wild caught, and as such, the BN plecos can be more domesticated. What's more, the BN plecos come in different colors now, like red!

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is VERY little information out there about rubber nose plecos compared to BN plecos, and I couldn't find help when he appeared ill, despite hours of searching. I did register for the Pleco Planet forum to ask, but by the time my registration was confirmed he was already gone. :(

Edited by *Amanda*

Thank you for that information. That's very useful. I was wondering which one of the two types would be better. Are albinos hard to get by?

Albinos are by far the most common in my area, but they are considered rare in some other areas. Funny how that is! Albinos are the smallest variety.

There are also red ones, which is a fairly new color that was bred in Europe. These fish are drop-dead gorgeous! Other colors are available, as well, but only albino and spotted brown may be available in the shops.

In addition to the different colors, you also have the option of long fins or short fins. Personally, I prefer the short fins.

What's a pleco lifespan? I'm so seeing whether it's better to adopt an older and thus bigger one that won't fit into hungry mouths. These guys are 4 cm

The stats I'm seeing are all over the map on this, but it seems to be somewhere around 10 years. Although, they're probably similar to goldfish in that a lucky few live for decades, but for the majority, 8 years can be expected.

These guys also grow fast. When I bought mine, he was around 2 inches, but is now 5 inches and much fatter. I saw TINY brown spotted ones at Petsmart that were only a couple of centimeters - I would be terrified to put one of THOSE in my tank!

Some are assertive; others are shy. If you don't want one that hides all the time, I would observe its behavior at the store or ask the seller if it's through eBay like the one you're looking at. I went to the store and picked the one that was swimming around the most and seemed most energetic - you could ask specifically for that one if there are multiple babies.

I have one albino bn pleco in my 55g and see him all the time. He gets along just fine with my gf. But he is a pooping machine! Only get one if you have the available bioload in your tank.

I have one albino bn pleco in my 55g and see him all the time. He gets along just fine with my gf. But he is a pooping machine! Only get one if you have the available bioload in your tank.

Boy, is that true! Their poop is much smaller than goldfish, but there's a lot of it! I also find that mine poops in the same spot ... under the driftwood. I move it each week to vacuum under it.

Dandelion Blue, having driftwood in the tank is very good for their health. Mine spends much of the day suckling on the driftwood - my mom says he looks like a baby breastfeeding. : rofl