Sign in to follow this  
Rhian

Considering goldfish

My mother recently decided to upgrade her tank from her 60 to a 90 gallon, and offered to let me have the 60 if I wanted it. I'm not super happy with the dimensions of it (12 inches wide? yuck!) but I figured I could get a couple of small goldfish and at least start them off in there. Plus, it's free! The best price for a tank!

I'm planning to move at some point in the future (I'll be out of here as soon as the house sells! If only I didn't live in the middle of nowhere) so I won't be buying a bigger tank for possibly a year or more depending on how long I'm stuck here. Would possibly 2-3 fancy goldfish be comfortable in such a skinny tank for a few years?

Also, before I get myself stuck, how big of a tank would I reasonably be looking to buy for their endgame? Would something around the 70-90 gallon (or 48 inches long and 18 inches wide) mark be acceptable for the average fancy goldfish (more specifically, oranda and ranchu) at their adult size? Or would I be looking at something around the 100+ gallon range?

I'm honestly not sure I would want to take care of a tank over 100 gallons, which is why I'm kind of hesitating on getting any large fish. I have seen some fancy goldfish in a 75-ish gallon that just looked really cramped, while others look like they have tons of room. It makes me nervous, if I were to get some monster sized fish and end up stuck with a too small tank I would feel absolutely terrible. How likely is it that they would outgrow something around the 75 gallon size?

:) doesn't get better than free :nana does the filter come with it?

I'd get 2 fish. If down the road you find one that "you MUSThave" then 3 will be ok. Just be committed to water changes. :idont

I have a 55gal and it's 12" wide. It's not so bad :)

:goodluck

3 fancy goldfish would not likely ever outgrow at 75. A 90 is as long and wide, just a bit taller.

I agree. Two to three in a 75 would be great. And :hi5 to you for researching first! :nana

The stocking guideline recommended here is 15-20 gallons per fish, so you would be giving them plenty of room in either a 60 or a 75.

And I second what Lisa said - kudos for researching space requirements before moving ahead! I remember finding this forum and being shocked to learn that the 5 fancies in my boyfriend's 10-gallon tank were, in fact, very cramped. It seemed like luxury accommodations to me at the time! :yikes It's much more expensive and frustrating to have to fix it later on.

And should you want to plant your tank, we can help with that, too! That is one area where I did research and ask a lot of questions, and after starting off on the right foot I've had no plants die on me yet (knock on wood)! :D It's very fun, and I never had much of a green thumb or enjoyed gardening before.

Edited by *Amanda*

Thank you for all of the replies!

I'm glad the 60 will be large enough for them until I can upgrade them to a slightly bigger tank. I really like 18 inch wide tanks, they just seem so much larger for just a modest upgrade in size. I'm not getting a filter with the tank, so it'll still be a little while until I can cycle it. I haven't had a lot of luck finding nice looking fish out where I live, so it gives me plenty of time to look!

The stocking guideline recommended here is 15-20 gallons per fish, so you would be giving them plenty of room in either a 60 or a 75.

And I second what Lisa said - kudos for researching space requirements before moving ahead! I remember finding this forum and being shocked to learn that the 5 fancies in my boyfriend's 10-gallon tank were, in fact, very cramped. It seemed like luxury accommodations to me at the time! :yikes It's much more expensive and frustrating to have to fix it later on.

And should you want to plant your tank, we can help with that, too! That is one area where I did research and ask a lot of questions, and after starting off on the right foot I've had no plants die on me yet (knock on wood)! :D It's very fun, and I never had much of a green thumb or enjoyed gardening before.

I actually have had goldfish when I was younger and did indeed do terribly stupid things while caring for them (like so many others, the 5 fish in a ten gallon is also in my past! They were so teeny when I bought them!).

I actually have a teeny planted tank right now, I'm not sure if I'll make the 60 one too. I'm super new to planted tanks, I've had this one going for about three months and haven't managed to kill anything yet. I'm kind of having some mild (but gross!) blue-green algae/bacteria issues though. It's going away slowly but surely, but I'm still afraid of managing to introduce it to a new tank! I do love the looks of a planted tank, hopefully I can manage to figure out a way to salvage some of my baby java fern and crypt plants, there's too many of them in my 20 gallon.

If you love planted tanks well you may or may not love goldfish...... Cos they probably will LOVE the planted tank. NomNomNom. Lol.

As stated go for 2 fish maybe 3.

Some goldies will grow big some won't. Some grow fast others slower. It depends on genes conditions etc etc.

Best of luck

I do love the 18 inch depth of a 75 gallon. It gives you lots of options for decor/decorating while leaving plenty of room to swim. :)

If you love planted tanks well you may or may not love goldfish...... Cos they probably will LOVE the planted tank. NomNomNom. Lol.

Haha I know they'll likely eat them. If I did decide to plant it, it would likely just be excess plants from my 20 gallon (if I can get that darn algae under control!) so even if they did eat them it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Is there any problem with them eating plants in an aquarium? It's not going to hurt them any, is it? Honestly, destruction of a few plants now and then isn't really a huge issue to me so long as it's not harmful to them. I buy my dogs toys knowing full well they're going to be ripped to shreds and my gerbils wooden furniture knowing it'll be likely gone by the end of the week. I don't really see it as any different than that.

None that I know of.

Good source of vegetable matter for them.

If they don't like a certain plant they will leave it alone.

If the algae is becoming a real serious issue you can perhaps try a uv stabilizer light. No chemicals needed then.

Happy fish keeping.

Haha I know they'll likely eat them. If I did decide to plant it, it would likely just be excess plants from my 20 gallon (if I can get that darn algae under control!) so even if they did eat them it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Is there any problem with them eating plants in an aquarium? It's not going to hurt them any, is it? Honestly, destruction of a few plants now and then isn't really a huge issue to me so long as it's not harmful to them. I buy my dogs toys knowing full well they're going to be ripped to shreds and my gerbils wooden furniture knowing it'll be likely gone by the end of the week. I don't really see it as any different than that.

No, it won't hurt them, and is probably good for them. But I wouldn't assume that your goldfish would eat your plants, because not all do. It can be a trial and error thing to find out which plants work and which don't. I have dwarf sagittaria, Cyperus helferi, lace java fern, 2 Anubias species, and 2 sword types. Oddly enough, the only plant any of my fish ever touched was the banana plant, which they annihilated within days! And that's supposed to be a "goldfish-safe" plant! :idont

My boyfriend's fish don't eat plants AT ALL, no matter what we put in the tank. Even the anacharis gets left alone! Fish are just as individual as people, I guess!

Welcome to Koko's!  :hi

I just wanted to echo what everyone else has said, and applaud you for researching first. You're going to be a great goldie keeper and I'm sure your fish will thrive with you :)

I have a 60 US gallon (50 UK gallon) with three goldies in it and I think it's just the right amount, I also have super filtration which helps. So I think you'll do just fine with 2-3 in your 60 gallon.