Tank Top Problems

yubonne

55 Gallon tank

1 fish (sadly)

110 Aquaclear HOB filter

Problem: Does anyone have an issue of crud accumulating on the topside of glass cover and side of filter? By "crud" I mean white salt-like deposit. It's driving me crazy!!! It looks horrible and is a beast to keep clean. I've tried changing the filter flow and it doesn't seem to make any difference. 

I bought a Fluval cannister and I'm thinking of adding that and switching back to the 70 filter for the HOB. Do you think that would help?

Thanks in advance!

Mine used to do that! I didn't get rid of it until I started using a canister filter on my tank. I have no idea where it came from, but I thought it might be the prime coming out of the water. Anyone else experienced this? I have a 2 gallon bottle of prime, and sometimes it drips...underneath it is this same salty deposit. I'm wondering if components of the water conditioner might separate after making contact with air. 

Good luck!

Is the hard water  hazardous for the fish? My water testing? Is that why the pH goes all wonky sometimes? What should I do about it?

No, hard water is actually good and generally helps to buffer pH.  No need to worry.

Is the filter splashing and getting water on the outside of the tank?  If so, maybe raise the water line so it doesn't splash so much.  You don't need it to drop down into the water.  It just needs to move the surface of the water for oxygenation.  None of my AC filters splash down.  I aim them right across the water's surface.

Yes, it does splash down but it has more of a misty aerosol as it flows out which is what I think is getting on the glass lid. It's hard to describe.  I have to constantly watch my water levels. I have one of those tall/deep tanks not the long low ones.

I had the same issue, and just removed my top. I have very hard water too, and get deposits on all my silverware and glasses. We also have to buy a new coffeemaker every 2-3 months, which is a pain!