Sign in to follow this  
ichthius

Ramshorn Color Mutants? What are people keeping?

I just received Pink transparent and blue transparent rams horns:

Anyone else have interesting colors?

I like those! I have had the solid pink ones that verge on red. My snail source is sending me some more in a few weeks.

Nope! We have the regular garden variety ones! Those are really cool though. :)

I really like the pink ones but had mysterious die-off during a flooding period (I think they did something to my water). Heidi will be sending more. Hers have a dark pink shell but I like the looks of these transparent ones.

I started with 1 normal and one blue (hichhiked on plants) and ended up with all kinda from gold to blue to pink to red. I dont have any now though.

I've ha the blue ones before and I had one that was Hunter Orange. That one was amazing, but neither of them seemed to produce very many offspring and don't live too long. :( I have to wonder if the flashy colors didn't make them bigger targets, kinda like crustacean candy bits. :idont

I had kind of wondered about the longevity of the bright ones. Snail lady keeps a steady supply in a snail-only tank, but they didn't live too long for me.

Very nice! I only have basic "blue" ramshorns, the ones with the red-ish body, and I love them :)

Wow, that is awesome! I had no idea they came in other colors besides red and brown. I have a dark brown ramshorn named Waldo. I noticed him in the tank about two months after I added my plants. He must have been either in an egg, or really tiny when he hitchhiked in. I let him be because I love snails, but was really freaked out after hearing so many horror stories about ramshorn snails taking over aquariums. But he's the only one I have, and it's been amazing to watch him grow. (He used to be so small that my goldfish would regularly attempt to eat him but always spat him out ... I'm shocked he survived!)

Very pretty :)

None in my tanks. Just two Nerites in my betta tank. I like your blue ones. Very pretty.

b89571638f4c43e9ed2bebdde7d93c10.jpg5e2b48a772835679ef8cd3be3dea13f1.jpg

This is a pink one I had.

That's a really beautiful snail, Daniel.

I am liking the ramshorn snails a lot. I know a lot of people consider them a nuisance, but I sure am grateful for my little hitchhiker! It really is amazing how he managed to survive.

0d613f8e0d10c51b85b863ee48a8e5d9.jpg

I've been isolating pure chocolate brown snails to keep a Wildtype strain going and they produced a tan/yellow leopard.

I'm also getting reddish leopards.

Edited by Ichthius

0d613f8e0d10c51b85b863ee48a8e5d9.jpg

I've been isolating pure chocolate brown snails to keep a Wildtype strain going and they produced a tan/yellow leopard.

I'm also getting reddish leopards.

Gorgeous! That's an exciting project!