Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnfriend

sand?

So...right now I have a bare-bottom tank, and I know it is a natural behavior for goldies to want to sift through some sort of substrate for food...however, I know it isn't necessary. ...so now I am debating whether or not to put a thin layer ot sand in my tank....what are your thoughts on it?

It depends on what you want for your tank. I personally really enjoy a bare bottom tank with a scattering of rocks for the fish to push around, just for the ease of maintenance.

It's all up to you, though.

Edited by ChelseaM

Yes, it is all preference. :)

Unfortunately the only way to find out if sand is for you, is to try it out! But most people who try it wind up loving it. :D

I think I prefer the ease of barebottom, but my tank looks a billion times better with the sand. I also like that my one er, sight-disabled :teehee fish is kept busy with it, when she otherwise did not seem very active (there is another word I am trying to find here, that means kept busy/entertained/working/whatever and I cannot think of it! :doh11:). So for me it's worth it. :)

Going bare-bottom is the best thing I ever did! Makes maintenance so easy! I put rocks, driftwood, and Anubias in so that they can forage through it looking for food :)

In nature, goldfish live in lakes, ponds, and slow-flowing streams. These all have a soil bottom. Gravel is no more natural for goldfish than glass. Ingesting sand as they forage through it probably has they same effects of the digestive system as consuming fiber. Sand also provides a soft cushion for a bottom sitter. Unless you are creating a substrate for plants, just use about 1/4 inch of sand.

You use a different technique for vacuuming sand than gravel or bare bottom, but you'll pick it up quickly. You also need to keep your intake of your HOB filter up a bit from the bottom and clean your impeller regularly to keep it from getting worn by sand picked up by the filter. Also, when you add fresh water to the tank, you need to find a way to do so without stirring up the sand.

A completely bare bottomed tank is the easiest to care for, and should be THE choice for hospital or quarantine tanks. However, once you add stones for decoration and fish toys and put in plants in pots, they probably take as much care as a sand-bottomed tank.

I have 1 bare bottom tank and 1 with sand. The sand looks more natural and gives them something to sift through. I do very little with it and haven't found it to be labor intensive. In the bare bottom tank, I have a large amount of Pothos roots dangling into the water. This gives the fish something to root through (pun intended) and seems to satisfy their need to forage. I have Plecos in both tanks, so I do very little in the way of cleaning other than filter maintenance.

I have no advice to give but commenting so I can read the debate! I'm upgrading soon and was considering going to sand from bare bottom because it looks much more nicer and natural.

Jared you changed your name to Jared! :o I was like "wow this Jared guys avatar is very similar to mod Jared's avatar....waaaiiiittttt......" :rofl

Edited by Mernany

Jared you changed your name to Jared! :o

And I'd like to nominate this for Quote of the Year. :tomuch:

I prefer sand. Was barebottom for years then decided to give it a try. Won't go back. :D

:teehee

A bare bottom can get sandy.

Edited by shakaho

Okay, so for those of you that switched from bare-bottom to sand and would never go back, what are your reasons other than looks?

The fish are constantly foraging. I don't find it much more difficult to clean than a bare bottom. It's really simple. :)

Jared you changed your name to Jared! :o

And I'd like to nominate this for Quote of the Year. :tomuch:

:P:rofl :rofl

I love the sand for looks and as substrate for the plants and for the goldies to sift thru.

I don't like sand because it ruins the propellers on my filters :tantrum but I still keep in because the good outways the bad :)

I love the sand for looks and as substrate for the plants and for the goldies to sift thru.

I don't like sand because it ruins the propellers on my filters :tantrum but I still keep in because the good outways the bad :)

How high do you keep your intakes?

How high do you keep your intakes?

I have it in the 55 and the intakes are half way down the walls. 8-9 inches maybe. Pretty high IMO. :idont

I use a large grain golden colored sand. Grain size is about .25mm to .50mm. No problem with the filter impeller because the sand doesn't easily float around in the tank. Grain size is small enough such that very little detritus sinks down into the substrate, although I do vacuum it at each water change. I love watching my fish forage through the sand,

:teehee

A bare bottom can get sandy.

:tomuch: Yes, yes it can!

:o

--

I'm a big fan of both bare bottom and sand tanks. It's really a personal preference, but after having many manifestations of a heavily planted (bare bottom) aquarium, I have to say that the tank looks more "finished" now that I've added sand. I definitely prefer it, even though I swore that I'd never have a substrate in a goldfish tank again.

#TeamSandybottom

I went from sand to bare bottom and then back to sand again. My personal experience was that the fish seemed a bit more active over sand, and I liked the sand much better for aesthetic reasons. Cleaning did not seem any more intensive with sand over bare bottom since I have small grain and not much can sink into it.

I used to really dislike the idea of a barebottom tank, but I had one for awhile, and it wasn't so bad. But I still prefer sand, and once I had the chance to add it back, I did. For one thing, I have a planted tank, and I needed substrate. But I also think sand is MUCH MUCH better than gravel.

The fish are constantly foraging. I don't find it much more difficult to clean than a bare bottom. It's really simple. :)

What method is used to clean sand? I'm thinking of going that way too

I just hover the Python over top of the sand. On occasion I will "dig" into the sand (like you'd do with gravel) to move the sand around as my fish have a habit of moving the sand from the back of the tank to the middle, making the sand unevenly spread around. So I will pick up/push the sand back to where I want it . . . only to be moved again by the fish. :rofl3

I use a spoon to mix the sand and a little cloud of "dust" puffs up and i put my tubing over to suck the dust out. I move from spot to next spot til I cover the entire tank. This is poop that's settled. Those snails and bn pleco make more poop than you think :teehee

I just hover the Python over top of the sand. On occasion I will "dig" into the sand (like you'd do with gravel) to move the sand around as my fish have a habit of moving the sand from the back of the tank to the middle, making the sand unevenly spread around. So I will pick up/push the sand back to where I want it . . . only to be moved again by the fish. :rofl3

I use a spoon to mix the sand and a little cloud of "dust" puffs up and i put my tubing over to suck the dust out. I move from spot to next spot til I cover the entire tank. This is poop that's settled. Those snails and bn pleco make more poop than you think :teehee

Ohh, I see! Sounds easier than I thought! Thanks to you both