Last Resort for Swimbladder

Oh bless you I feel for you so much it's making me tear up too! It really is such a hard decision to make but it's the unselfish thing to do to put him out of him misery and you are only doing it to help him. I think I will continue as I am at the moment because my little dazzle can still eat successfully by herself and she seems to have a little more fight in her yet so I don't think I can justify it yet... Although I may just not be willing to let go I'm not sure. I so feel for you because having one fish Ill is hard but two is horrible :( I hope the vet can give you some positive news about the tumour. Hopefully he can make a speedy recovery and you could always think about getting him a new friend. Best of luck with everything xx

Hi Glitzy,

Unfortunately I had to put them both to sleep last night :(

Norman wasnt going to get better, and Squeesh would have required surgery to remove the tumour with no guarantee she would survive the operation or survive afterwards. I felt it was too much to put her through, but leaving her with the tumour wasnt an option as it would have continued to grow and she would eventually get an infection. I hope I did the right thing, I really didnt think it was fair to put her through the stress of substantial and invasive surgery, she was a skittish fish at the best of times.

I'm beyond heartbroken right now but I'm taking a bit of comfort in knowing I tried my best and they are both at peace now and with eachother.

I really hope your little guy gets better, if she's eating by herself then thats definitely a reason to keep her going :)

Good luck,

Dawn,

Hi Dawn sorry I only just saw your comment. I'm so sorry to hear that, but I'm sure you have done the right thing by them. They were very lucky to have such a caring and loving owner. Do you think you will continue with fish keeping? I'm so sorry for your loss xxx

Thanks guys, yes it took me a good two months to come to the decision for Norman, and for Squeesh there wasnt really much of a choice.

Im still very sad about it, its only been a couple of days but feels much longer for some reason - the tank is empty and very sad to look at.

Im actually probably going to get more fish this weekend. Its not a decision I've made lightly, I'm really not trying to replace them but I spent so long cycling my tank that Im reluctant to let it die when I know I will be ready for some more fishy friends at some point in the future - therefore even though Im still raw over losing my two it makes the most sense to restock before the cycle dies. I have been keeping it going with ammonia this week and it seems good and stable right now so on Saturday Im going to take my friend's 2 year old to the pet store and let her choose a fish that she can have as her pet which she keeps at my house. She always runs into my house shouting "ish, ish, ish!" and goes straight to the tank, not sure what she will think when Norm and Squeesh arent there on Saturday!! I think it'll be nice for her to have her own one, especially as her mum doesnt have time for pets right now. So that makes it seem a little less like Im replacing my two and more like Im doing something nice for a wee one.

Ill post on here when I get them :)

Thanks for your kind words, Norm and Squeesh will always have a special place in my heart.

x

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Just remember that you did your best by them and they were loved. They're the most important things we can give and do for our babies :hug

I know that I'll have to remember that myself too when Googles' time comes..

RIP Norm and Squeesh x