Sign in to follow this  
TonySydney

Cloudy water after a water change

6762B49E-8DE1-4BB2-A80B-065FFA318F4F_zps

I am hoping someone can tell me why my tank is cloudy after I do a 50% water change. I recently bought a 200 litre plastic drum with a screw on lid. Now I can prepare all the water before the water change then replace it using the pool pump I bought after the water change.

I have been leaving the fish in the tank while I siphon out the waste and when I put the new water back in. Leaving the fish in the tank was not a problem when I replaced the water with a jug from a bucket but I now have one fish that seems to float at the top of the tank (right way up) after the water change. Do you think that this behaviour is linked to the quick reintroduction of the aged water. I am checking the temperature is the same in the new water and the tank? This same fish always seems fine an hour later.

More recently I removed the fish from the tank before removing and replacing the water and it made the whole process so much easier and faster. The new pump returned the aged water to the tank in about a minute and a half. I have noticed the tank has a slight haze when I have finished making the water change. Does anyone know if this is extra dissolved oxygen or tiny bubbles and is it dangerous for the fish?

Are you also matching the pH before adding the new water?

Make sure not to submerge the end of the hose or whatever is returning the new water to the tank. Hold it above the water line and let it splash in from above. This will help to dissipate excess gases.

I had a fish that used to do this during water changes. It might be that this fish has a sensitivity and needs to be removed during water changes :idont

My guess is that you are stirring up sediment from the gravel with rapid water return.

Thank you both for your response. To answer your questions, yes I do check the pH but only every other time. It has always been the same in the tank as in the tap water. The pump I bought is rated 7000 litres per hour and does move the water into the tank incredibly quickly. I did not think of the sediment as causing the clouding. I do use a bowl in the tank to direct the return tube into so I don't disturb the gravel. The cloudiness looks white though rather than like fine particles. I do have the return tube under water so I can aim it into the bowl but can hold it out of the water if you think this is the problem.

The last water change I left the fish in the bucket a bit longer to give the cloudiness time to clear and the sensitive fish was ok when I returned him. I was more curious as to what was going on rather than worrying about the fish now. This fish (Buster) is the most sensitive fish I have he was very prone to constipation too. The new foods don't cause him any problems now.

Thank again

I just wanted to say that your fish are GORGEOUS! That tank setup is so beautiful, and I hope to see many more pictures. :)

Your tank setup is gorgeous. I love how you have everything laid out.

Probably around 15 months ago or so I was getting cloudy/milky looking water in the midst of doing water changes on two of my tanks. I hated it. I didn't know what was going on. As the water would fill up in my tanks the water just looked gross. We came to the conclusion it was due to myself cleaning my sponge filters too much. I think I had lost my beneficial bacteria. Are your param. in check? How often do you clean your media? Do you think you might be cleaning them too much or even too little? It took me a couple/few weeks to get my water looking crystal clear again.

Hi Again, thank you for your kind comments on my tank. To answer the new questions, the filter is only cleaned once a month with tank water and never the same day as a water change. The parameters are all good, zero for everything except nitrates which are somewhere between zero and 5ppm. I really think it is bubbles or gas in the water. It completely disappears after about 10 minutes.

I will post some more pictures of the tank later today - thanks again for your help everyone

BDE7E1F2-C769-4856-97FD-75174FEC0403_zps

It is very hard to get all my fish in one part of the tank and actually looking towards the camera! From left to right: Akiko, Sweet Pea, Buster above Bella.

544FD11F-5E81-4634-AF44-8633A5307E5F_zps

Try pumping the water into a different empty clean tank and see if it does it still.

Could be the water in the drum??

Do you clean the pump and hose between fills. Ie purge it etc. May be calcium deposit or such in the pump/hose.

Have you tried koi clay? It will bind to and settle out fine particles. It shouldn't have an effect on bubbles, so using it should answer your question.

Is the water in the drum clear? I have had a problem since June with my tap (municipal) water being cloudy. When I put it into my clean water reservoirs (I use continuous drip water changes), the water is cloudy, a few hours later it clears, and the pond water is always clear.

Returning the water more slowly may solve the problem. If you pump is too powerful to do this, fitting it with a smaller diameter hose will slow the return rate.

Hi Again,

I bought a large 200 litre drum that was used to store processed apples to hold the prepared water, it is spotless now and I rinse it before I use it every time. I watched more carefully the last time I did a water change and it might be fine sediment after all. The gravel seems to make fine particles even though I rinsed it thoroughly to remove fines before I used it in the tank; it still has fines in it when I vacuum. The pool pump I bought does return the water too fast I was thinking of putting an inline valve on it to throttle back the speed of the water entering the thank. Thank you both for your help.

Hi Again, thank you for your kind comments on my tank. To answer the new questions, the filter is only cleaned once a month with tank water and never the same day as a water change. The parameters are all good, zero for everything except nitrates which are somewhere between zero and 5ppm. I really think it is bubbles or gas in the water. It completely disappears after about 10 minutes.

I will post some more pictures of the tank later today - thanks again for your help everyone

Well, It was worth a shot thinking it could/might be the filters and losing your bb's.

Love your current photo's and your cabinet. Looks really pretty with all the drawers.