Potential longer term effects of Prazi treatment

motherredcap

Good morning!

Has anyone read the complete article about long-term effects of praziquantel abstracted on The Goldfish Garage?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23954698

I can get full-text at work tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone had read it and what they thought.

Good morning!

Has anyone read the complete article about long-term effects of praziquantel abstracted on The Goldfish Garage?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23954698

I can get full-text at work tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone had read it and what they thought.

The abstract is interesting, because it suggests that treatments themselves will alter the host immune response by changing the patterns of expressions of chemokines (factors recruiting immune cells to sites of infection and elsewhere), pro or anti-inflammatory proteins, and other secreted factors of the immune system.

The abstract also leaves open many questions, so much so that it's impossible to make any sensible conclusions unless you read the entire article.

If you can get the full article, Sharon, will you please send it to me as well? Thanks!

Would have posted it, but outside links are forbidden.

The sum up the article by saying prazi may increase susceptibility as compared to a natural fluke remedy. I'd take it with a grain of salt, and just keep in mind that the fish's immune function maybe slightly reduced after treatment.

Our tanks likely always have aeromonas, so clean healthy water is key when treating sick fish. It's another reason to uv our tanks. It keeps these free floating bacteria and fungi at reduced levels.

The sum up the article by saying prazi may increase susceptibility as compared to a natural fluke remedy. I'd take it with a grain of salt, and just keep in mind that the fish's immune function maybe slightly reduced after treatment.

Our tanks likely always have aeromonas, so clean healthy water is key when treating sick fish. It's another reason to uv our tanks. It keeps these free floating bacteria and fungi at reduced levels.

Hi David,

The abstract certainly makes it look interesting enough to warrant a full reading, but I will await that full reading before saying something.

I do agree that keeping clean water is key to effective treatment, and is something that needs to be underscored.

Outside links are allowed if they are relevant to the topic at hand. :)

Is that a recent change? I stopped posting content because I was told not to post urls?

Is that a recent change? I stopped posting content because I was told not to post urls?

I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere. I think that personal websites/social media pages/blogs are not permitted (but perhaps may be permitted after consulting admin).

I would also be interested in reading the entire research, allthough it is not a new document i cant find its full content online.

I must say the conclusion is rather evasive in the abstract and i would like to caution anyone reading only the abstract to jump to conclusions as it is allways possible a fish' ability to resist bacterial pathogens is compromised during medical treatments.

• Admin

In the threads yes we opened that up more, as long as it pertains to the topic at hand. If its a discussion like this we allow it. :)