Undergravel filter

Fastlane

They were okay filters back in the day, but they aren't too good at all now. Especially with goldfish, they harbor the poop and food under them. Even though you vacuum your gravel, you can get the debris that are actually under it. Are you saying the water is cloudy or is it clear right now?

Guys, should I take the UGF off my tank? I read in one thread that this doesn't promote a good effect on the quality of the water. Also with the clarity of the water? Insights?

How long have you had this set up? How are the fish? How long have they lived in the tank?

Although there is a general trend to say that UGF are not the preferred filter types, I am also a pragmatist. If you have had this set up for years (like fingers) and it's working for you, then I don't know that I would want to disturb the system, despite the general disapproval of UGFs.

On the other hand, if this set up is new and you have an opportunity to make changes, then I would make the change.

Good luck!

The reason we don't like them is because UGF accumulate poop (a lots of it) and plant matter (if you have live plants) and uneaten food that's decomposing all under it. Even when you gravel vac you can't remove all the above mentioned crap :yikes and that can lead to foul water parameters. This type of filtration is less bad with other types of fish, like tropicals, that produce less waste.

:goodluck making you desicion :D

Edited by Flipper

My set up with it is that one of the HOB filters is seeping inside the lift tube of the UGF. (Just trying). I have 2 HOB running. With water clarity per se, it's quite clean/clear though. How about if I'd take this that does that mean that water clarity would be more evident? Any insight? BTW, I had this set up for about 3-4 weeks if I remember it right. So maybe I would just lift it off when I do my next water change. I'll look if there's poop that accumulated down there. Thank you guys.

Guys, should I take the UGF off my tank? I read in one thread that this doesn't promote a good effect on the quality of the water. Also with the clarity of the water? Insights?

How long have you had this set up? How are the fish? How long have they lived in the tank?

Although there is a general trend to say that UGF are not the preferred filter types, I am also a pragmatist. If you have had this set up for years (like fingers) and it's working for you, then I don't know that I would want to disturb the system, despite the general disapproval of UGFs.

On the other hand, if this set up is new and you have an opportunity to make changes, then I would make the change.

Good luck!

I had this set up for about 3-4 weeks, if I remember it correctly. Fish are good so far, sometimes I have my water checked. It's ok though. I have 2 HOB. One is seeping through the lift tube of the UGF. I don't know if this is ok to do. :) before I had Goldies too, back then when I was younger. I also used UGF, so now I'm just adapting it again. But if it means harm to my fish. I would gladly lift the UGF off. :)

Hi!! I think I am the ONLY person on the forum who likes/uses undergravels!!... I have had them in this tank for over 25 years!!..mine cover the whole floor of the tank!!..and are run with a 300lph power head on each end!!...I also run a 2000 Ltr per hour canister!! I believe (for what its worth) the benefit of the good bacteria makes this a good system!!.... if I ever stripped my tank down!!.....I honestly believe I would still keep them! .....but I am in the minority!!!... LOL!

Powerheads at each end!!

Image0168_zpse4f0a4d5.jpg

Hi!! I think I am the ONLY person on the forum who likes/uses undergravels!!... I have had them in this tank for over 25 years!!..mine cover the whole floor of the tank!!..and are run with a 300lph power head on each end!!...I also run a 2000 Ltr per hour canister!! I believe (for what its worth) the benefit of the good bacteria makes this a good system!!.... if I ever stripped my tank down!!.....I honestly believe I would still keep them! .....but I am in the minority!!!... LOL!

Powerheads at each end!!Image0168_zpse4f0a4d5.jpg

Nice tank!!! Fishes too look healthy and good! :) ya I also run the whole floor of my tank with UGF. How constant do you do water changes?

• Admin

Good luck!

I had this set up for about 3-4 weeks, if I remember it correctly. Fish are good so far, sometimes I have my water checked. It's ok though. I have 2 HOB. One is seeping through the lift tube of the UGF. I don't know if this is ok to do. :) before I had Goldies too, back then when I was younger. I also used UGF, so now I'm just adapting it again. But if it means harm to my fish. I would gladly lift the UGF off. :)

I have seen ppl use them and do a great job with them. The problem with them is most ppl dont keep the plates clean and then the debris collects under there and then lies problems..... Bacterial waste ground... Me I had them once years and years ago. Once the HOB's got cheaper thats where I went.

HOB in general are easier to clean and deal with. You can see when there is gunk built up in there un like the UGF....

If you want to see if there is a lot of waste before removing (and you should do this if your going to take them out to get the gunk out anyway) place your water changing hose in the UGF tube and suck the water out from there... If its bad I would do that a couple of times before lifting them out.

I hoped I helped ya out :)

If not Well :welcome

I change half the water every 2 weeks and vacuum the gravel. I clean the canister every 4 months....I must add this is how I do things!!...many people on here will and do disagree with my methods!!... But hey I have kept fish for over 40 years!!...it works for me!!! please listen to all argument then make your own desisions....and best wishes for your tank!!..:-)

I change half the water every 2 weeks and vacuum the gravel. I clean the canister every 4 months....I must add this is how I do things!!...many people on here will and do disagree with my methods!!... But hey I have kept fish for over 40 years!!...it works for me!!! please listen to all argument then make your own desisions....and best wishes for your tank!!..:-)

Thank you!

I also like 1 canister filter on my set up.. :) :)