Don't trust your API kit when using Kent's R/O

Glenn

I had a chat with KENT. I want to keep my water as hard as possible to preserve my moors melanphores (black coloring) I heard very hard water could do that. But no matter how much of Kent's R/O I put in I could never get my water hard (My house has a water softener). I was told by Kent not to exceed the recommended dosage since API tests mainly for magnesium API strips and liquid are inaccurate. FYI

I personally have never used in. What I have used was this: http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/gh-booster.html

It works wonders!

Would you be able to post your gH and kH from your tank and tap? Are you using strips, you said? I personally don't like strips. I prefer the drop kH and gH. Has always been extremely accurate for me. http://www.amazon.com/API-GH-KH-Test-Kit/dp/B003SNCHMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416089520&sr=8-1&keywords=api+gh+kh

I have never heard of hard water keeping the black coloration before. Would you be able to link the article where you read that? I am very interested :). What I have heard, though, is that green water and natural sunlight the fish get from being in a pond help to keep/maintain it. It is unfortunate, but it is mostly genetics that decide if a moor will keep it's black coloring, or not.

I had a chat with KENT. I want to keep my water as hard as possible to preserve my moors melanphores (black coloring) I heard very hard water could do that. But no matter how much of Kent's R/O I put in I could never get my water hard (My house has a water softener). I was told by Kent not to exceed the recommended dosage since API tests mainly for magnesium API strips and liquid are inaccurate. FYI

Why are you using RO water?

I think he means the liquid product RO?

I think he means the liquid product RO?

http://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-liquid-ro-right.htm

Thanks, Mikey, for trying to clarify for me, but my question is about the RO water itself and wanting to know if that's what the OP is doing.

So let me ask my question again, with more words.

I would like to know if you are using R/O water for your goldfish tank(s), and if so, why? If you are simply trying to make your water as hard as possible, then I believe there are better ways to do so.

When you are saying hard water, are you talking about General hardness, or carbonate hardness, or both?

Thanks.

Out of the tap is 7.2 PH and is now slightly higher. The GH now is 60PPM and my KH is 60PPM I'm using R/O because my family installed a water softener. I thought while I was using it I could try and get it as hard as it gets to preserve the color of my moors Oh and my KH usually follows in suit with the GH. Oh and I read the book that has the quote in it. It translates to Goldfish Biology. (It's in Mandarin) I can try and scan it in at the library. There just pet shop fish and so deep color isn't all that important to me, it's not like there going to compete. I'm going to buy a gadget that electronically tests for GH.

Out of the tap is 7.2 PH and is now slightly higher. The GH now is 60PPM and my KH is 60PPM I'm using R/O because my family installed a water softener. I thought while I was using it I could try and get it as hard as it gets to preserve the color of my moors Oh and my KH usually follows in suit with the GH. Oh and I read the book that has the quote in it. It translates to Goldfish Biology. (It's in Mandarin) I can try and scan it in at the library. There just pet shop fish and so deep color isn't all that important to me, it's not like there going to compete. I'm going to buy a gadget that electronically tests for GH.

I think there are much cheaper means to improve gH, such as buying the gH booster kit from Green Leaf Aquarium. You might also want to bring the kH up as well.

60 ppm for either is still on the low to medium end of things. I would boost both up to about 150 ppm, if you want to boost at all.

I agree, the dosing is probably quite a lot if you are dosing your whole tank with it. R/O is probably meant for the water out of the R/O system which many use R/O with saltwater. They change water, but a lot of times, marine tanks get topped off, so the R/O is meant for a bucket that is going to top off the tank or a small water change. The green leaf will give you more bang for your buck; It works amazingly! You can also try Seachem Equilibrium for the gH if you don't want to use the green leaf ultimate gH booster.

Thank all of you for your helpful advice. I just ordered an electronic meter to measure GH as I believe its already hard and MY API strips just arnt reading it right. Unfortunately there is no hard water available anywhere in or out of my house. I found the passage in that book and could give you a scientific citation but I bought the book from Thailand. You couldn't verify it.

Glenn, what electronic meter are you getting? How accurate is it? May we see the link to it?

It may be that the strip and drop test readings are inaccurate, but the same may be true of the electronic meter. As I said up above, there certainly are hardness detectors, but they are not cheap by any means.