Sign in to follow this  
Kylen

possible leak?

Ive had my 60 gallon tank for over year now. But yesterday as I was sitting around I noticed a drop of water fall where it shouldn't have. Upon closer inspection there seems to be a leak somewhere. I checked everywhere and I can guarantee that wherever the water is coming from it is not the filter or anywhere above the bottom of the tank. I wiped away all the water but more slowly took its place. I have since drained 95% of the water a moved all my goldfish into my 40 gallon for now. Since draining most of the water the leak seems to have stopped. But what should I do now? I cannot lift it myself so I would need to wait for my brother to have time to help me. But I don't want to fill it with water only to have it leak again because I live in California and we are told we are in a drought and to limit our water usage. Is it possible for a leak to start out of nowhere, Ive checked and there isnt a crack anywhere, where could this water have come from?

Could a seam have broken somewhere?

How old is the tank?

Did the drops appear in the exact same spot every time?

With the tank being pretty much drained right now, can you try to see if the silicone seal on the inside of the tank is damaged somewhere? It might look like it is all there, but it may actually have a small area where it has lifted off from the rest underneath, and water slowly seeps through.

That's the only thing I can think off if you are absolutely certain that this is what it is.

And you are 100% sure it could not be splashes caused by the fish (mine manage to somehow splash water so drops run down the outside of the tank), drops formed out of the collected spray from the bursting bubbles of a bubble disc, etc ?

It could be from one of the silicon seems. The other thing I noticed is that my fish gave taken up spitting out of the tank and splashing their fins at the surface. Which for me means water everywhere.

Try putting the tank on a dry towel. Make sure the outside of the tank is perfectly dry before putting it on the towel. Then, add some water (being careful not to splash any on the towel) and let it sit for a while. Frequently, inspect the towel for wet spots. You may need to add more water until you create enough pressure for the leak to reveal itself. The wet spot on the towel will show you where the area with the leak is. Then reseal the silicone in that area.

Maybe a picture of where you found the water would help.

Hi guys I've been at work all day so sorry for not responding sooner. The water was coming from underneath the tank, so splashes wouldn't have caused this. The only thing I could think of is a loose seal or something. Any suggestions on a way to fix such a problem. The tank isnt very old, Ive had it for a year and a half and bought it directly from the pet sore.

I take it you don't have the receipt and original packaging to see if there is some sort of warranty on it? Because it should not leak if the tank was brand new and is only 1.5 years old.

As far as fixing goes, since the tank is otherwise new and in good condition (I assume), you could try to locate the leak, dry the tank out fully, and generously seal the area over with aquarium sealant.

If that does not fix the problem, you may have to deal with the "fun project" of fully resealing the entire tank. It's rather cheap, but seems like a lot of work.