Common side effects when using Prazi Pro

Cdionne77

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct area, if not i am very sorry, please redirect to correct area of the board.... but I was wondering if there is anything to look out for as far as fish behavior or common side effects or bad ones when treating for flukes with Prazi Pro Thanks :)

Edited by Cdionne77

Well the ranchu bottom sits sometimes but they both kind of seem out of it, a little floaty and it's only started yesterday when prazi was introduced I know that they can have some side effects due to the parasites dying off but I want to know what's a normal reaction or something that I should address. I just didn't want to freak out and do a D&D thread every time they had a symptom related to the treatment lol Thanks for all your input so far :)

Edited by Cdionne77

When treating with prazi preventively you usually will see none. But bottom sitting is the most common side effect when a fish has had a lot of flukes release themselves from them. When a fluke releases itself from the fishes body they leave a tiny cut so when a lot of them release because of the prazi there are a lot of little cuts which leave the fish a little uncomfortable and can lead to the bottom sitting. Also, it's possible for the fish to get a secondary infection because of the cuts so if the bottom sitting lasts for a long time it could be that.

Another side effect is having problems eating or refusal to eat because most often the flukes are in the gills and the gills help them eat so with all the irritation from the small cut it can be very uncomfortable to eat too. If this happens it's usually advised to give them softer foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp. :)

When treating with prazi preventively you usually will see none. But bottom sitting is the most common side effect when a fish has had a lot of flukes release themselves from them. When a fluke releases itself from the fishes body they leave a tiny cut so when a lot of them release because of the prazi there are a lot of little cuts which leave the fish a little uncomfortable and can lead to the bottom sitting. Also, it's possible for the fish to get a secondary infection because of the cuts so if the bottom sitting lasts for a long time it could be that.

Another side effect is having problems eating or refusal to eat because most often the flukes are in the gills and the gills help them eat so with all the irritation from the small cut it can be very uncomfortable to eat too. If this happens it's usually advised to give them softer foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp. :)

Thank you, all these answers are very helpful, as I probably would have been freaking out and doing a lot of D&D threads for no reason lol

Since you've just started the Prazi treatment with your fish, I suggest starting a thread in D&D for just that. You can give periodic updates on what is happening and what questions you have. Moderators and others will help. It really helps to have support this way when going through a Prazi treatment especially if it is your first time.

I was freaking out the first time I did the Prazi treatment. My fish were unhappy. I probably posted almost everyday on the D&D thread. It kept me sane!

Edited by LisaCGold

I agree with Lisa. :) A D&D is great for these things.

Here's a list of behaviors and side-effects that I've seen fish experience. Note that if they continue past round 2, you may need to create a D&D anyway so that the mod team can assess for secondary infections.

• Bottom sitting
  • lethargy (stargazing, listlessness)
  • flashing
  • yawning
  • loss of appetite
  • fin flicking
  • mild darting
  • spitting out attempted food
  • glass-surfing (trying to scratch self on the walls of the tank)
  • personal isolation from the rest of the 'school' (usually a sign of a fish that is particularly ill)
  • sensitivity to lights and sounds if they are introduced too quickly

Here's a list of behaviors and side-effects that I've seen fish experience. Note that if they continue past round 2, you may need to create a D&D anyway so that the mod team can assess for secondary infections.

• Bottom sitting
  • flashing
  • yawning
  • loss of appetite
  • fin flicking
  • mild darting
  • personal isolation from the rest of the 'school' (usually a sign of a fish that is particularly ill)

Thank you Chelsea, these are great to know. I just didn't want to jump the gun and clutter the D&D threads with every symptom I noticed because it's my first time using Prazi. Only thing I have noticed so far is the occasional bottom sitting and the lethargy symptoms but it's not constant. Still pretty active and eating and doing what they normally do. They are still on round one, if I notice anything after round 2 I will be opening up a D&D. Thanks again!

If you decide to start a D&D thread, all of the symptoms pertaining to the current issue can be listed in one thread. ;) A mod will let you know if multiple threads need to be made from there.

No problem. Prazi can be pretty nerve-wracking at first, despite it being such a gentle treatment.

I think it is important to mention that many of the symptoms that Chelsea mentioned are also just signs of Flukes or other parasites, regardless of whether Prazi is in the water, and may indicate a Fluke infestation. These are things to watch out for throughout the year as they can often signal that it's time for treatment.

• Bottom sitting
  • flashing
  • yawning
  • loss of appetite
  • fin flicking
  • mild darting

This is a great list, Chelsea! :thumbs:

Please note that many of the symptoms shown are exactly the same as if the fish were having a flukes problem. The difference is that these problems should normally disappear within days after treatment. If they don't, the fish may have a secondary infection, or an altogether different problem that cannot be solved the prazi treatment.