Dropsy help needed

Kayleigh_Lou55

• Supporter

welcome to kokos :)

i am sorry your fish is unwell. looks quite swollen from the photos too. do you have any epsom salt? and what antibiotics do you have or can you get?

could you also answer all the following questions, relating to the main tank and then let us know how many gallons and what equipment you have running for the hospital tank.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately we actually bought him like this :/ The place should have noticed where we bought him from. Tested the waters and levels are normal. A couple of places recommended fin rot and ulcer treatment which is in his water atm, but ive also been told it makes it worse :/ Hes currently in a bucket as that was all we had to hand but i will buy a hospital tank for him today!!! I hate seeing him suffer :(

• Supporter

ok, see to get the Epsom salt and any medicine (antibiotic) with the name Metronidazole.. check online if they will ship to the UK if stores do not have it. a good size hospital tank is 15-20 gallons, but even 10 gallons will do. you will also need a heater to handle the volume of water of the tank/tub you will buy. if tub, make sure it's food safe. as well as that, you will need an air pump and an air stone or wand.

your profile says you have 26 fish, are they all in one tank or do you have several tanks or a pond? we'd love to see them :wub: you can introduce yourself and your fish to us in this forum here http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/28-welcome-new-members/

Helen, I spoke to Kayleigh about this fish on Instagram. It'll take around a week, maybe longer for the metro to get to her if she buys it today. I could send her MM's if that is of any use at all :) let me know :)

• Supporter

Helen, I spoke to Kayleigh about this fish on Instagram. It'll take around a week, maybe longer for the metro to get to her if she buys it today. I could send her MM's if that is of any use at all :) let me know :)

if you are able to arrange this, given the time frame for her to receive other medicines and how advanced the dropsy seems, that would be best. thank you Alicia :)

if you are able to arrange this, given the time frame for her to receive other medicines and how advanced the dropsy seems, that would be best. thank you Alicia :)

i have UK Becs set up with Metronidazole.. but she's most likely busy with baby.

If you can weigh him we can tell you how many pellets you will need to feed daily. :) any .1 gram scale would work. Just zero out how much water you have in the weighing container and put him in it.

And oh my! What a beautiful Red cap telescope!! I'm very jealous :heart:teehee I hope he feels better soon!