No more Metro-Meds?......I am Panicking!

Guldklumpen

Hi all.

Like the headline reads, im panicking.

Since there is no way to get any Metro-Meds now...

I have used it, successfully for several Things over the last years.

Dropsy, Growth on head, Internal Growth.....It cured dropsy several times.

Before MM i used Jungle AntiParasite Food, but that was also discontinued.

What do i do now?

I have 100+ grams Metro-meds left from a bag bought 2 years ago, thats it :(

Please tell me, there is an alternative to MM?

The possibility of not being able to treat my fish in the future, actually keeps me from buying

any more Fancy Goldfish.

Does anyone know how i prepare for possible fish sickness/dropsy in the future?

Best regards

Jesper / Guldklumpen

• Supporter

yes, there is an alternative to MetroMeds.. we have other medicines that will treat symptoms that you mention. goldfish connection will not be around forever and usually will only supply Americans.

aquarists in other countries have successfully treated with different medicines for the same issues. the common medicines are Metronidazole, Kanaplex and several others that i personally cannot recall without going through the DnD forums. but it is safe to say that without MetroMeds, the world of goldfish will still exist :)

i am sure that others will be along to mention more alternatives.

• Supporter

yes it was, MMs were more than Metronidazole. Jesper, i have successfully treated the symptoms of dropsy and other infections with only Metronidazole and Epsom salts, several times. it works :)

as an antibiotic or as an addition to the Metronidazole/Epsom routine, i have used TriSulfa (aka Triple Sulfa) depending on what the scenario is. but this is the thing, it all depends on what the symptoms are and that will determine what will be used and more importantly, how early you notice these symptoms.. so it's always best to just keep the basics which is the Metronidazole since it has a very long shelf life, and kanaplex if you can, but do post before treatments so that we can help guide you through the process of dosage and treatment.

i would just like to share my concern with you regarding your current stock of MM's. as you mentioned, they are approx 2 years old. i personally would throw them out. as well as the medicine, they are also made from food. i would be concerned that the food has gone rancid and may be more harmful than good to an already sick fish. i have read on the forum that they keep well for 12 months and since your stock is well over that, i would consider throwing it out.

Allright then.

What typically happens are i notice scales are pineconing, in case of dropsy, and i fetch my 60 liter tub.

And arrange with filter and heater, slowly raising temp to about 27 celcius and add epsom.

Then i would feed 1% of bodyweight Metromeds exclusively for 14 days.

After 1 week the wc's will get rid of epsom and after 14 days i will lower temp, slowly to match main tank.

The the patient will then be released back, if healthy.

But how to administer pure metronidazole, i dont know?

And i hate not being prepared for it, like if it happenes during a time where i cant contact you?

Edited by Guldklumpen

• Supporter

we moderate the forum 24/7... if anything, you will be waiting perhaps a half hour, perhaps up to 2 hours. that is not a great amount of time to be waiting.. worst case scenario, you are welcome to hit the report button to alert the entire moderating team :)

Metronidazole can be fed via gelfood if a fish is still eating. or it can be added to the water if a fish is not eating. either way, the medicine will be received into it's system. we prefer to feed it.

your system will still be the same, Jesper.. just the medicine is somewhat different.

Awesome, thx :)

I have ordered seachem kanaplex + Metronidazole, and found this tri sulfa:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-Fish-Aquatic-Cotrimoxazole-Sulfa-Tri-480-mg-50-tablets-FREE-SHIP-/351147930982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c20c3566

Does that Tri sulfa look right?

• Supporter

don't order the tri sulfa yet. i have sent a message to Alex to confirm if that product is ok. we're limited here in AU, we can't even order in. so because i do not have much experience with meds available from the US, i would prefer to run it by others who may know. i wouldn't be expecting an immediate answer on the tri sulfa.

Thank you very much, but i bought the more known (to me) brand API instead :)

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=639#.VGRkcGx0ywk

Maybe if the time comes, i can make medicated gelfood with above mentioned medicines and Repashy Gelfood powder?

My goldies love Repashy gelfood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repashy-Soilent-Green-Superfood-6-oz-Jar-/251716278501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9b7598e5

• Supporter

that's the plan :) i make the medicines with Repashy, also :)

when we medicate and especially with medicated gelfood, it's important to know the weight of the sick fish. so when you do make a thread for help, be sure to list the medicines you have on hand and the weight of the sick fish.

i hope you will never need to use it :)

• Supporter

Thank you very much, but i bought the more known (to me) brand API instead :)

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=639#.VGRkcGx0ywk

Maybe if the time comes, i can make medicated gelfood with above mentioned medicines and Repashy Gelfood powder?

My goldies love Repashy gelfood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repashy-Soilent-Green-Superfood-6-oz-Jar-/251716278501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9b7598e5

just want to make a quick mention for you to note. although packaging for the tri sulfa states that it will not harm the biological filtration, we caution members using it as some experiences in the past have proven otherwise. we would prefer that when treating with the tri sulfa, that the fish be transferred to a QT tank and treated there.

Helen, on 13 Nov 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

that's the plan :) i make the medicines with Repashy, also :)

when we medicate and especially with medicated gelfood, it's important to know the weight of the sick fish. so when you do make a thread for help, be sure to list the medicines you have on hand and the weight of the sick fish.

i hope you will never need to use it :)

I hope so too, but so far most of my fish have been sick at one time or another.

That is why i try to prepare, no matter the cost.

I allways treat sick fish in my 60 liter QT tub, but appreciate the warning very much :)

Hi Jesper,

As Helen said, those meds are fine.

I actually decided a while back that while Metro-Meds/Medi-Gold are certainly convenient, there are equally, if not more, effective methods of treatment. In addition, I actually think that for meds that are readily absorbed from the water, this is the better way to go.

Years ago, forum members had this concern that they must do everything they can to have a cycled tank during treatment of sick fish, and this somewhat irrational fear led to the insistence that medicated foods are better, in part because many meds will destroy the biological filter when administered in the water. Medicated foods sometimes are better, or even necessary. But, there is no absolute requirement for medicated foods.

However, starting with when Sharon and a few others joined the forum, they made very persuasive arguments that you don't actually need a cycled tank during treatment of sick fish. What you DO need to do is make sure that the treatment tank is free of ammonia, nitrites, and to some extent, nitrates. This may be accomplished by doing daily water changes, or, even better, by doing the bucket-to-bucket method daily. If you don't have to worry about keeping a cycled QT tank, and if you are keeping a strict watch on your water parameters, there is now no particular reason why adding meds to the water is unacceptable.

So, it was fantastic that Rick provided us with some amazing choices for fish treatments for so many years. However, while we may miss these convenient choices, we are not left at all defenseless. Don't panic. :)

Thx Alex.

This helps me calm Down :)

For years now i have had a plan for sick fish, and now i have none, that bugs me.

I am actually worried about getting new fish because of this (and worried that they would bully my 11+ year old Tvilsen)

Knowing Koko's, Helen and You helps a lot,....Thank you Guys.

One question....What is the bucket to bucket method?

• Supporter

bucket to bucket method is something i use from time to time. and that depends on how unwell my fish is.

i have 2 x 20 gallon tubs, if a fish is unwell, i use my usual 10g hospital tank and use a small bucket to remove the fish so that i can 100% wc and then bring the fish back. but, if that fish becomes really unwell and i still need to do large water changes, i use the two 20 gallon tubs. instead of removing my sick fish into a small bucket until the 100% wc is done or even too sick to handle a partial water change, i prepare the second 20g with meds/salt and everything required and simply transfer the fish over from the dirty QT to the clean QT. it's just a gentle way to handle a very unwell fish during it's stay in hospital.

that is what i use bucket to bucket method. i am unsure if anyone uses it for any other purpose.

I think that for non-large goldfish, using 2 10-gallon tanks ("buckets") should be good, since it halve the amount of meds you need to use. It is true that when you have very large fish, larger containers may be called for.

The huge advantage to the bucket-to-bucket (tank-to-tank) method is that you can age the water of the transfer well in advance of transferring the fish. I usually do this the day before, and let the water sit for 24 hours (with airstone + filter with uncycled media or no media).

Bucket to bucket is a favorite of mine as well. :) I use 10 gallon tanks, though for my largest fish, I had to use sterilite bins that were even bigger. :o Putting him in a 10 gallon was like putting an elephant into a thimble.