Sign in to follow this  
FishyMandy

I have EGGS!

Congrats on all your fry. You have a ton. I've never had any eggs/fry. I have three males. Love their little dorsals. How big is that measuring spoon above that one of them is in? Very cute photo.

It's 1/2 a teaspoon, Just about too big for it now ;P

I've got them in two tanks now, Will add another tank next week once the silicone is set (My friend gave me a tank but it cracked so had to seal it up)

How cute. They are growing rapidly. Sounds like a lot of work but I bet it's also rewarding to you.

It is a ton of work but I'm loving it :D It's such a great experience

I think that's why I consciously ended up with three boys.  I didn't/don't think I would have had to patience to do what all you fish mom's and dad's do with the care, feeding, w/c's, cullings, etc.  The culling would have been the hardest for me, I think.  I love to see the thread of others fry growing up. :)

Congrats on all your fry. You have a ton. I've never had any eggs/fry. I have three males. Love their little dorsals. How big is that measuring spoon above that one of them is in? Very cute photo.

It's 1/2 a teaspoon, Just about too big for it now ;P

I've got them in two tanks now, Will add another tank next week once the silicone is set (My friend gave me a tank but it cracked so had to seal it up)

How cute. They are growing rapidly. Sounds like a lot of work but I bet it's also rewarding to you.

It is a ton of work but I'm loving it :D It's such a great experience

I think that's why I consciously ended up with three boys.  I didn't/don't think I would have had to patience to do what all you fish mom's and dad's do with the care, feeding, w/c's, cullings, etc.  The culling would have been the hardest for me, I think.  I love to see the thread of others fry growing up. :)

The culling is hard...I still haven't worked out who should go apart from the ones that were obviously deformed/unwell. :(

They are 3 weeks old now :) 

Do you think they could manage bloodworms yet?

Also should I be doing prazi on them?

Yes, prazi them.  :D  No salt, just prazi.  Then do it again in about 2-3 weeks.

I think they are a bit small for bloodworms but then again I'm no expert.  :rofl  Could you chop them up a little?  :yikes  The bloodworms not the fry.  :thud

They are 3 weeks old now :) 

Do you think they could manage bloodworms yet?

Also should I be doing prazi on them?

Yes, prazi them.  :D  No salt, just prazi.  Then do it again in about 2-3 weeks.

I think they are a bit small for bloodworms but then again I'm no expert.  :rofl  Could you chop them up a little?  :yikes  The bloodworms not the fry.  :thud

LOL I could chop the BLOODWORMS up xP Will Prazi, I think i need to do my main tank anyway :P

Cali spawned again today. Wont be rescuing this lot though. Got my hands full enough!

Pictures from last night...32(?) days old now. I've fallen in love with little "Button" Those big black eyes :heart:

00oFo3Y.jpg

yWsUiR1.jpg

They look great!!!!!

Some of them are getting quite big, others not so much :/ I'll try to upload some more pictures later but I'm feeling a bit down about them at the moment...

When I do water changes I scoop them into a tub, empty their tank, refill it, float them in the tub until the temps match up (because the water coming from my tap is a bit warmer than what they are in) and by the time the temps have evened out there is a bunch of dead fry...it started with just one or two each time and I thought maybe they died before and I didn't notice them amongst the others swimming, but now it's been like 15-30...it's really depressing. They don't look like they are in trouble before the water change, just during it..they go so quickly...I'll find them floating either upside down or on their sides, sometimes they are still alive when I find them but barely. If I had more room I'd do tub to tub water changes so I don't have to float them for the water temps to get right, but I have no extra tubs and nowhere to put them :(

Sorry to hear you are losing some fry :(

When I did water changes, I would just use those tiny air hoses and siphon out the water at the bottom (to get all the poop).  If I needed to take out a lot of water at a water change, after siphoning I would just use a drink pitcher and remove the water that way so I could see any fry in the pitcher before I dumped it out.  Then I would get the temperature coming out of the tap to be within 2 degrees of their tank water (I would place the thermometer under the running water in the sink).  Then I would use large pots to move the water into the tank.  I only had a 20 gallon tank...so it wasn't too difficult. I'm not sure how large your tank is or what the water parameters are prior to water change.  I never had to do larger than 50% water changes since I only had 8 small fry in the tank...and I did w/c's every second day...along with using Prime water conditioner.

Is your tank kH low?  I'm wondering if in such a small amount of water (when you are floating the fry), the pH drops too much?

I think maybe when I had them in the tub there was just too many in there and not enough oxygen, some came around when put into another tub of water. So I've been putting them in a few different containers so there isn't as many in there and have only lost one since then. Big learning curve for sure.

Here are some pictures from the last few days

TiqXpMf.jpg

AgRjzXk.jpg

E9MhW4T.jpg

4FoLhoJ.jpg

2h1uKNh.jpg

RcZw0aT.jpg

Just spent a good twenty minutes reading this entire thread, swooning over your adorable little fry! Cali is quite the beautiful little mama too! :P Raising fry seems like it's one tough job, but it sounds like your doing an amazing job for this being your first batch! :) Looking forward to seeing more photos of the little cuties!! Can't wait to see how they look all grown up. :)

Just spent a good twenty minutes reading this entire thread, swooning over your adorable little fry! Cali is quite the beautiful little mama too! Raising fry seems like it's one tough job, but it sounds like your doing an amazing job for this being your first batch! :) Looking forward to seeing more photos of the little cuties!! Can't wait to see how they look all grown up. :)

Aw thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it

Forgive the poopy tanks, cleaning time lol

Edited by FishyMandy

Been a while since I posted photos..

oupT0jv.jpg

0ZbTUEN.jpg

LkVb2b0.jpg

ReD5B1P.jpg

wWyniUV.jpg

4JVPEd0.jpg

WDBgTnZ.jpg

bM9bqc5.jpg

Some of them are developing the big round bellies like the fantail :)

They're so cute! I love how some of them look like they're pouting at the camera.

What a beauties! :) 

Wow they are growing fast! Congrats! :)

I can't stop staring at the 4th picture down, it is a beautiful picture of how healthy they are and they are so shiny, it is mesmerizing ;)

Wow they are growing fast! Congrats! :)

I can't stop staring at the 4th picture down, it is a beautiful picture of how healthy they are and they are so shiny, it is mesmerizing ;)

Thanks so much! I was worried they aren't at a normal size for their age, I have to admit I've been really lax on the culling...only doing ones that are really obviously sick or deformed. Though I've lost quite a few that have died off, either naturally or through mistakes I made so I like to think my mistakes have been weeding out the 'weaker' ones :rofl:

13 Weeks Old and they are starting to colour up more =3 I have 119 left. I did a cull yesterday, picked out some they didn't look right or weren't growing properly

bX4jMzy.jpg

Kw6NDX5.jpg

MbcZlVF.jpg

8h8LNjO.jpg

They are looking cuter every time I see them! I can see the pretty color patterns appearing :D Glad to see they are doing well :)

More eggs today :P I hope they all get eaten before they start getting eyes, I feel guilty leaving them there when they get to that stage :lol:

More eggs today :P I hope they all get eaten before they start getting eyes, I feel guilty leaving them there when they get to that stage :lol:

Oh my goodness! More eggs? :yikes  LOL! So your not going to try to raise this batch of eggs?

Oh my goodness! More eggs? :yikes  LOL! So your not going to try to raise this batch of eggs?

Nah not this one, got no room left :rofl: This is their third batch now!