Sign in to follow this  
FishyMandy

I have EGGS!

Hehe I'm so excited they are so tiny and cute and everyone is hearing all about them whether they want to or not ;D

(And I thought I saw tiny pectoral fins too!)

5 days old! Bellies full of Brine Shrimp :D

GUnLg74.jpg

7VM5wlZ.jpg

E0AGyBu.jpg

bBVaNkl.jpg

1WAVhgp.jpg

wpIgLbk.jpg

A short video

Any tips for getting up all the mess? I try to suck it up with the airline tube but mostly seem to move it around

So they are a week old today, (I have a few people interested in taking some when they are old enough too :D), I've been looking out for deformaties like crooked spines, is there any other things I should be looking for? Some aren't growing as much as others. I hate thinking about the culling part, but know it needs to be done, is it ok to do a few at once with clove oil once I determine which ones need to be done?

If you can, try and scoop them out into another container so that you can do a 100% WC (make sure to exactly match temp and pH, set water out the day before if needed). It will probably be a pain in the :booty scooping them all up but you don't want the water quality to affect them.

I think you can certainly do a few at a time once you've figured out which ones to cull. I'm not quite sure what to look for other than obvious deformities as I only had one fry. :peeka

Scooping them out was what I was planning actually :D will give me a chance to better count them as well

Okay, so I've done (or in the process of doing) a 100% water change (I only got to do close to 100 yesterday :() but when I was scooping the fry into tubs, a lot of the dirt from the tank got into the tubs as well, so what's the best way to get the fry back into the tank without the dirt going in too?

They are still floating in the tubs for now, because the water coming out of my tap was about 6 degrees warmer than what was in their tank before .-. So waiting for them to match up.

I also did the first round of culling :( A couple had no tails, one was really bent and a couple were so listless I could pick them up in my hand without any problems

Edited by FishyMandy

I ended up just tilting the tubs the fry were in so all the dirt ended up in a corner and trying to coax the fry out, I sucked some of the dirt out the tubs using airline tubing but sucked up some fry in the process. Eventually all the fry and a little bit of dirt ended up back in the tank, but the dirt that ended up back in there easy enough to remove with airline tubing :)

8 Days old

5ga4INi.jpg

mIVhGKd.jpg

8ttwdkx.jpg

9 Days Old

erFPTbw.jpg

5j8m8Z0.jpg

pPIXgwh.jpg

Is it too early to tell if they will have single or double tails? At the moment they all look single I think. I was hoping for one to turn out long and skinny like Tiger with a double tail or one to turn out fat and round like Cali but with a single tail.

But either way I will love whoever I decide to keep, and I'll make sure the people who are interested in taking some take good care of them too :) (I want a pond so badly to be able to keep more though!)

Ix4I5JV.jpg

bics3ct.jpg

ed8eBkW.jpg

OJu4I2z.jpg

D2w6Q81.jpg

jW1ZXye.jpg

Bucm25q.jpg

VbuEvvh.jpg

qRHoX61.jpg

10 Days Old :dance: This is my first time ever raising fry and I'm pleased with their progress :) It's been a steep learning curve for sure, but a great experience too, I kind of feel bad since they aren't any special breed or anything, but I'm going to make sure they are all looked after anyway :) I'm loving watching them grow and trying to find subtle changes in them. 

I have a few friends interested in taking some, one definitely wont be getting any though since she has 4 goldies already, in a 40 litre tank and wont listen to advice. One might take some if she can get her pond running again and one wants me to help her choose the right equipment for one.

I think there is over 100, but I think quite a few might go in the next cull...I hate doing that part :( But some are like half the size of others, I'll be seperating them soon and see how the smaller ones go without fighting the bigger ones for food, but if they don't get anywhere then I think they'll need to go.  :( I need to be firmer on who goes and who stays I think, that's the hard part for me.

I'd love to keep more than just a couple of the fry myself, but that wont be able to happen unless I can get my parents on board with a pond :P And that doesn't look likely :P

I did an official count today, there were WAY more than I thought there were @_@ 264! (Plus another 8 or so I found dead or deformed to be culled)

I wish I didn't keep all the eggs now, I didn't even realize there was that many O_O

But all the fry are in a tub at the moment, I'm observing them to pick out the ones that seem healthiest, and strongest, the ones that seem weak, or aren't growing will be going :(

Can anyone tell me what else I should look out for when culling? The ones I culled today either looked sick/lethargic or were deformed. I know I'll need to start being more brutal in my culling process since I know I couldn't find good homes for this many pet standard fish.  I know I shouldn't have kept so many eggs, I didn't even realize how many were on those plants @_@ I was honestly not expecting my fry raising experience to be working as it is, I was really thinking they would be dying left right and center *always the optimist* 

Wow!! That is a lot of fry. :teehee

I'm not really sure what to look for. Hopefully someone with experience in breeding will see this. I'll see if anyone comes to mind. :)

The problem with goldfish fry is that the fastest growing aren't always the best.

Try to separate the larger faster growing fry. (Normally these end up being the ones you cull due to single tails etc if looking for double tails etc. They're usually a faster swimmer so get to the food quicker than the others)

But it's also hard to tell what's good and what's bad when they're so small (unless you're an expert that's been doing it for years, I definitely am not)

I split mine up and keep doing so until they're of a size I can start seeing what I want in a goldfish. Weather it's a good thing no not??? What I like may or may not be correct?.

Still a learning curve for me.

Even after about 15 or so spawns lol

Thanks! I will start separating them this weekend I think. I hope I can make the right choices on which to cull.

As I was going through all the photos I've taken I've noticed subtle difference I didn't notice when looking at the fry themselves, some were rounder and some were longer and skinnier. I hope as they grow it will be easier for me know which ones need to go.  Here are some pictures from the last few days

11 Days Old

Z82aQsq.jpg

TopTPEb.jpg

12 Days Old

XomNnmS.jpg

rlhwFC8.jpg

jGbmDr9.jpg

(The specky bits are a fry food I bought incase my brine shrimp didn't work out, and since I didn't plan the timing very well there was a lapse of time when I didn't have any ready)

13 Days Old

oWjCwBr.jpg

l9rvjlP.jpg

The last photo is one of the smaller ones in a 1/2 teaspoon measure

Haven't updated in a while...

VNk8rS4.jpg

I2Vw8jy.jpg

yzujLyK.jpg

pv28X39.jpg

They have little dorsals now :)

They are 3 weeks old now :) 

Do you think they could manage bloodworms yet?

Also should I be doing prazi on them?

Congrats on all your fry. You have a ton. I've never had any eggs/fry. I have three males. Love their little dorsals. How big is that measuring spoon above that one of them is in? Very cute photo.

Congrats on all your fry. You have a ton. I've never had any eggs/fry. I have three males. Love their little dorsals. How big is that measuring spoon above that one of them is in? Very cute photo.

It's 1/2 a teaspoon, Just about too big for it now ;P

I've got them in two tanks now, Will add another tank next week once the silicone is set (My friend gave me a tank but it cracked so had to seal it up)

I've got them in two tanks now, Will add another tank next week once the silicone is set (My friend gave me a tank but it cracked so had to seal it up)

How cute. They are growing rapidly. Sounds like a lot of work but I bet it's also rewarding to you.

How cute. They are growing rapidly. Sounds like a lot of work but I bet it's also rewarding to you.

It is a ton of work but I'm loving it :D It's such a great experience

Photos from Yesterday - 3 Weeks Old.

BRsZmFM.jpg

Vq2ZOoe.jpg

0s6fco1.jpg

nDwY4h2.jpg

S1P6FCg.jpg

Gkj8D9G.jpg

KxEHwIj.jpg

It's getting a lot harder to get photos of them, they are so fast! Definitely taking after their daddy :hehe: