Sign in to follow this  
FishyMandy

I have EGGS!

Hi Mandy,

I just reported this to the other Mods as I have no experience with fry. I do know that the brine shrimp eggs and the sponge filter are good choices. As for removing eggs, I think I've read about people siphoning them out with a piece of air tubing?

Thanks so much! I will try that as well, i got as many as I could by hand but there are a few left. This is my first time with eggs or fry and I'm determined to give it a good go

Thanks! I will check it out

I would keep the water at around 4 inches. The water should be anywhere from 68-76ish *F. It can be cooler than that but will take longer to hatch.

I didn't have an airstone til my fry was 1 week.

Good luck. :)

Thanks so much :D Should I lower the water level now or leave until after they hatch? I have just enough water at the moment to cover the plants they are on.

Also so for now should I just have the water completely still? Without any airstone or filter? Or add the sponge filter just for some movement? And do I need to do water changes before they hatch? What about after they hatch, what's the best way to gently remove/add water? I know you can use the airline tubing to remove water

Edited by FishyMandy

They're hatching! :dance:

Pics, video :wa

Pics, video :wa

Pics are coming, they're coming!!

fueIe4V.jpg

pzTxrbc.jpg

Ip1S35w.jpg

Edited by FishyMandy

Thanks so much :D Should I lower the water level now or leave until after they hatch? I have just enough water at the moment to cover the plants they are on.

Also so for now should I just have the water completely still? Without any airstone or filter? Or add the sponge filter just for some movement? And do I need to do water changes before they hatch? What about after they hatch, what's the best way to gently remove/add water? I know you can use the airline tubing to remove water

Sorry, didn't see this til now.

Obviously your water level was fine. How deep is it?

I never used a sponge filter, just did frequent WCs. I added an airstone at 1 week. Using airline tubing works well for WCs. I used 2 tanks and moved my fry from one tank to the next every day rather than using air line tubing. But I only had one fry to catch so it was easy to scoop him out in a little cup. I didn't change any water the first few days, until I started feeding. :)

Congrats!

It's probably about 7 inches deep :o

Got my brine shrimp hatchery running :D Hope it works :rofl:

Wow it's hard to photograph them!

(also starting to wonder my chances on convincing my parents we need a pond "We need a pond or I'll move out" :rofl:)

aXrBD3X.jpg

j1rJeWy.jpg

bbjJr9n.jpg

Think I'm up to about 25 now! Maybe more if they are hiding in the plants

Congrats.

If your worried about siphoning up your fry throw an air stone onto the end of some air tubing and siphon through that. It's slow going but the fry are safe.

Once they're a bit bigger and free swimming etc you can remove the air stone and just use the air tube.

I have a few McDonald's straws on the outside of my tube to give it some rigidity on the hose.

Congrats.

If your worried about siphoning up your fry throw an air stone onto the end of some air tubing and siphon through that. It's slow going but the fry are safe.

Once they're a bit bigger and free swimming etc you can remove the air stone and just use the air tube.

I have a few McDonald's straws on the outside of my tube to give it some rigidity on the hose.

Thanks for the tips!

I keep taking photos...I can't help it, I never thought I'd have my very own fry to take photos of!

Up to about 60 now! (Does this mean I get that little green egg in my sig?)

3XLDFyI.jpg

JSRCnBX.jpg

58R3oTH.jpg

TA5Bd4R.jpg

Thanks! ^_^

I'm a bit worried now because mum doesn't look too good :( But thats for my D+D thread

Yes, I have requested your green egg :rofl

Yes, I have requested your green egg :rofl

:rofl: yay xD I got a green egg :D Thanks (Thanks Koko!)

Some of the fry are swimming around now :)

Once they are all swimming and aren't holding onto the plants would it be ok to remove the plants? I thought it would make it easier come feeding and cleaning time.

They are eating bbs now :D its so cute seeing them swim around with their bright orange bellies

Also after another count Im pretty sure I have around the 90 mark

Edited by FishyMandy

3 Days old now :) They had a water change today. I accidentally got one with the air line, but it seemed fine swimming around in the tub. Once I had cleaned up the mess I attached an airstone to siphon through and then used the airline to siphon water back in. I love watching them chase the BBS around

fYwc0AG.jpg

0wyjK86.jpg

They look great, Mandy! Cannot wait to see them grow up. :D

Lookin good! And do I see tiny pectoral fins? :teehee

The first time I had fry, yeeearrrsss ago, I actually had more than one :rofl and I remember syphoning them up with the airline tubing when I cleaned the tank. They seemed to do just fine afterwards. :D