My Pico reef tank journal.

Hidr

I do plan on emerald crab but was going to stay away from the hermits.  I hear they well kill snails for their shells and I really like my snails and want more of them.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I do plan on emerald crab but was going to stay away from the hermits.  I hear they well kill snails for their shells and I really like my snails and want more of them.

Aw thats true... what I did was get more shells from the SW store.... I would have about 5 shells for one crab :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok received a few snails.  And there were to tiny white legged hermit crabs.  I also added to more soft corals a blue mushroom and one Lightning Tip Clove Polyps .  

Tomorrow I well get my pom pom crab and two ORA Whitespotted Pygmy Filefish.

I have my RO filter but got to buy some hoses to make it work.  Why can't they just have that in the box too.....

Newest FTS

014_zps49bbf0ab.jpg

Fish are here. The little Pompom crab did not survive.  The rest look great.  Also a couple random shots. Been practicing with my macro lens.

nano009_zps1380a592.jpg

nano003_zps6de57672.jpg

nano004_zpsec4440ed.jpg

nano002_zpsc760c017.jpg

nano001_zps07f5c568.jpg

These are filefish.  So tiny and cute.  They well be shy at first so no more pictures till they get use to me and new home.  They are captive bred.

Edited by Hidr

sorry about the pompom crab :(

The tank looks good and the file fish are cute :)

Thank you

It's looking so good Angie, the corals and such are so cool. Good luck with the new fish. :)

Thank you so far new fish are happy.

Tank looks great Angie!!!!

Thank you

Tank looks wonderful :) I like the thing that looks feathery :nana

Those tiny fish are sweet :heart It's fantastic that they're captive bred :thumb:

Tank looks wonderful :) I like the thing that looks feathery :nana

Those tiny fish are sweet :heart It's fantastic that they're captive bred :thumb:

So are my corals and rock.  The crab was the only thing I bought from the ocean.  It cost more this way but don't want to help the reefs disappear.

It's looking great. So exciting. Cute little fish. So sorry about your crab.

I need to see about getting a new crab but the shipping is so much and I got the shipping for free on those.

Just found your thread tonight, Angie. I love watching/reading the progress of your reef tank. So beautiful!

Thank you

Ok so I kept doing research on the filefish and after much digging I finally found something.  They need more room then I have in my nano tank.  So I have sold them.

Ordered a neon blue goby and a yellow one.  I also ordered a clown fish.

Koko I need your help.  I got this red stuff growing on the sand. Is this good or bad?  If bad what do I need to do to get rid of it? I have stirred up the sand a couple times but the next day it comes back.

Edited by Hidr

Koko I need your help. I got this red stuff growing on the sand. Is this good or bad? If bad what do I need to do to get rid of it? I have stirred up the sand a couple times but the next day it comes back.

I think it's cyanobacteria. It usually happens to new tanks. They make a powder that helps get rid of it. There may be other ways, but I had to resort to using the powder.

Yep I think that is what it is.  For now I have added my power-filter to give more flow to the bottom of the tank. And hopefully as the tank ages it well go away.  I also have more plants coming to use up some of those extra nutrients.

• Admin

Koko I need your help.  I got this red stuff growing on the sand. Is this good or bad?  If bad what do I need to do to get rid of it? I have stirred up the sand a couple times but the next day it comes back.

Can you get me a photo hun...:)