Citrus and her Eggs

Cdionne77

Congrats! All summer my RG females were releasing a lot of eggs. I can't wait to see if you have babies.

I hope so too and thank you, if they do make it, it gives me an excuse to get another tank lol

Omg!!! It never ends with these guys!! :rofl

Congrats and goooood luck! :panana

I know it, they are really keeping me on my toes and it's never boring lol

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Thank you, will update if anything new and exciting happens! :)

Poor Skipper is going to be extremely exhausted after this one. Poor little guy, between trying to eat all the eggs and fertilizing, eating and fertilizing he didn't know what to do first lol

Very cool! Hopefully they are fertilized; raising goldfish is so much fun! :)

Thank you, I hope so too! I'll be happy even if one makes it. I'm sure I will have my work cut out for me, but sounds fun too and I think my kids will enjoy the process

I'm sure they will!

It's not even really THAT much work, especially when you only have a small number of fry. :)

That's why I just took a reasonable amount, in hopes that at least one might turn out. And I tried not to take any that were completely solid white. I have several that are pretty transparent looking

Poor Skipper is going to be extremely exhausted after this one. Poor little guy, between trying to eat all the eggs and fertilizing, eating and fertilizing he didn't know what to do first lol

:rofl3

Have they hatched yet? :idont

:tomuch:

Nothing yet. Im actually out and im going to pick up a magnifying glass to see if I can see them better.

Congratulations on the eggs. I hope you get some fry out the few eggs you saved. They will be beautiful babies for the parents are gorgeous. :)

Thank you! Im pretty excited:)

Congratulations. Hope you get some itty bitty fish

Thank you :)

Congrats!

Thank you :)

Transparent / yellowish clear is what you want. The white ones are bad and will develop fungus quickly.

Make sure you have them in a container with rather shallow water level. When these guys hatch, they are quite fragile, looking like eyelashes with a set of eyes attached to them. Water that is deeper than 4" can give them trouble.

For the first 48 hours they will be nourished by the yolk sack attached to them. During this time they often are very immobile, even motionlessly rolling over the bottom of the container as if they are dead. But once the yolk is consumed, they will become active and forage for food.

Great food sources are freshly hatched baby brine shrimp, although my first fry happily took thawed frozen baby brine shrimp.

If your main tank contains anything with algae on it, they will eat the algae as well.

Hikari First Bites is a decent fry food, and in a pinch crumbled up yolk of a thoroughly boiled egg will do well too. The latter will make the water dirty fast though, so make sure that you provide a lot of water volume, while at the same time doing proper water changes, thoroughly vacuuming the bottom of the container.

Having two similarly sized containers filled with dechlorinated water, and gently moving the fry back and forth (inside a tablespoon or similar) daily and emptying the unused container, wiping it down etc, is probably the easiest way to grow out fry :)

The "empty" container can then be filled with tap water and conditioner, and sit and age for a day before the fry will be moved back into it.

Another thing I noticed with a small number of fry is to keep a Mystery Snail (or 1-3 "pest" snails such as Malaysian Trumpet, Ramshorn or even Pond Snails) in the tub with the fry, since the snail/s will eat the uneaten food, preventing it from spoiling.

However, the snail/s will produce additional waste, so you have to figure out for yourself - based on the number of fry, size of tub, and leftover food - if daily transfers to a new tub and/or snails will be more effective for you.

Again, with such a small number you will do well if you manage to initially set up two 1g "shoebox" containers (you get them for about $ 1 each at Walmart or most Dollar Stores) and moving the small fry back and forth for the first two - three weeks, and then transfer them into a larger container (5-10 gallons or more *** ) with a sponge filter and a snail and do lots of water changes.

*** Initially fill this container to only about 4" depth, and then steadily increase the water level. Supposedly small fry can get overwhelmed with the water pressure by 4+ inches water depth, which can result in early death. I don't have any personal experience with this since I kept all my fry in low water level containers until they were 2-3 weeks of age.

Otherwise keep the fry container under similar conditions as you do with the adults. Stable water parameters with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as close to zero as possible, stable pH, moderate temperature, plenty of food.

My first fry grow pretty good because their half filled 10g tub (initially 20+ fry, but a faulty filter sucked up most of them) was lit 14 hours a day by a CFL bulb that was "equal to a 100 watt incandescent bulb". This caused this new tub (with some river rocks from the main tank, no plants) to develop a lot of blue-green algae, aka cyanobacteria, which was a steady and favorite food source for my fry.

If you manage to get some live plants from an existing outdoor pond, that might help too. My second fry (which was literally one single fish), grew up on the goodies that lived among a bunch of duckweed from an outdoor pond, in addition to freshly hatched baby brine shrimp, in a 50 - 75% filled 20 gallon tub.
The live plants contained planaria, copepods, seed shrimp, freshwater limpets and springtails. This natural food source really worked well for him. :)

Transparent / yellowish clear is what you want. The white ones are bad and will develop fungus quickly.

Make sure you have them in a container with rather shallow water level. When these guys hatch, they are quite fragile, looking like eyelashes with a set of eyes attached to them. Water that is deeper than 4" can give them trouble.

For the first 48 hours they will be nourished by the yolk sack attached to them. During this time they often are very immobile, even motionlessly rolling over the bottom of the container as if they are dead. But once the yolk is consumed, they will become active and forage for food.

Great food sources are freshly hatched baby brine shrimp, although my first fry happily took thawed frozen baby brine shrimp.

If your main tank contains anything with algae on it, they will eat the algae as well.

Hikari First Bites is a decent fry food, and in a pinch crumbled up yolk of a thoroughly boiled egg will do well too. The latter will make the water dirty fast though, so make sure that you provide a lot of water volume, while at the same time doing proper water changes, thoroughly vacuuming the bottom of the container.

Having two similarly sized containers filled with dechlorinated water, and gently moving the fry back and forth (inside a tablespoon or similar) daily and emptying the unused container, wiping it down etc, is probably the easiest way to grow out fry :)

The "empty" container can then be filled with tap water and conditioner, and sit and age for a day before the fry will be moved back into it.

Another thing I noticed with a small number of fry is to keep a Mystery Snail (or 1-3 "pest" snails such as Malaysian Trumpet, Ramshorn or even Pond Snails) in the tub with the fry, since the snail/s will eat the uneaten food, preventing it from spoiling.

However, the snail/s will produce additional waste, so you have to figure out for yourself - based on the number of fry, size of tub, and leftover food - if daily transfers to a new tub and/or snails will be more effective for you.

Again, with such a small number you will do well if you manage to initially set up two 1g "shoebox" containers (you get them for about $ 1 each at Walmart or most Dollar Stores) and moving the small fry back and forth for the first two - three weeks, and then transfer them into a larger container (5-10 gallons or more *** ) with a sponge filter and a snail and do lots of water changes.

*** Initially fill this container to only about 4" depth, and then steadily increase the water level. Supposedly small fry can get overwhelmed with the water pressure by 4+ inches water depth, which can result in early death. I don't have any personal experience with this since I kept all my fry in low water level containers until they were 2-3 weeks of age.

Otherwise keep the fry container under similar conditions as you do with the adults. Stable water parameters with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as close to zero as possible, stable pH, moderate temperature, plenty of food.

My first fry grow pretty good because their half filled 10g tub (initially 20+ fry, but a faulty filter sucked up most of them) was lit 14 hours a day by a CFL bulb that was "equal to a 100 watt incandescent bulb". This caused this new tub (with some river rocks from the main tank, no plants) to develop a lot of blue-green algae, aka cyanobacteria, which was a steady and favorite food source for my fry.

If you manage to get some live plants from an existing outdoor pond, that might help too. My second fry (which was literally one single fish), grew up on the goodies that lived among a bunch of duckweed from an outdoor pond, in addition to freshly hatched baby brine shrimp, in a 50 - 75% filled 20 gallon tub.

The live plants contained planaria, copepods, seed shrimp, freshwater limpets and springtails. This natural food source really worked well for him. :)

Thank you so much, this is great information. I appreciate it... Now they have at least a fighting chance :)

Well there is definitely something in all the eggs. They are a transparent egg that u can actually see little itty bitty somethings. They are in a bowl inside anither bowl of 74* water that im monitoring because no way will a heater fit in there. Water level in their bowl is about 3" high. Hopefully some action happens in the next day or so