Sign in to follow this  
GoFishyGo

Ruby and Lyle Not Eating

Please don't do any large water changes. We don't know what is wrong with your water. It may be just a pH issue. If so, the baking soda should correct the problem. However, reviewing some old threads, I see that you had some similar issues when you first put fish in your lovely patio pond. This suggests to me that there is something in your water supply, that is bothering your fish, but dissipates with time.

I have had a similar problem with municipal water this summer. It took me months to realize that mildly sick fish dying in hospital tanks, and fry that failed to grow and developed horrible deformities had one thing in common. They were receiving 100% water changes. That had never been a problem before the tap water turned cloudy in June. The fish that got sick had all been in newly set up or freshly cleaned ponds. The fish in ponds receiving only continuous water change, and the fry that were dumped in the duckweed tub were fine. Now the city has told us that total trihalomethanes in our water went over the FL maximum-allowed in June.

I recommend you set up a continuous-drip water change system in your tank, dripping in 10 gallons of fresh water daily. If you don't want to do that, just change 10 gallons of water daily using aged water. If nitrate is your concern, use plants to absorb the nitrate. I can tell you how to do this. While a few goldfish are very sensitive to nitrate, most can handle several times what you had in the tank. We recommend keeping nitrate at 20 ppm for the safety of those sensitive fish and to encourage water changes.

I don't know how I forgot about Lyle trying to jump out of the deck tank. Okay no large water changes. The setup for this tank is a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank in my basement with a 5 gal bucket filter that I copied from you. I'm really not sure how I could set up a continuous drip water system for this tank. If you have any ideas that would be great. In the mean time how long do you think I should age the water before using it for water changes?

The large water change I was planning to do tomorrow is actually in my 38 gallon tank from this thread.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/119296-daffodil-sick-again-not-eating/

Usually aging the water for 24 hours is sufficient.

Set up an airstone in a bucket of tap water for 24 hours. Test the pH and KH when you first set up the bucket and then 24 hours later. We will go from there. :D

I'm sure Sharon would be happy to help you set up a continuous water change system.

I added the 5 tsp of baking soda to the stock tank. The pH stayed at 7.5 the KH is now 125.

Usually aging the water for 24 hours is sufficient.

Set up an airstone in a bucket of tap water for 24 hours. Test the pH and KH when you first set up the bucket and then 24 hours later. We will go from there. :D

I'm sure Sharon would be happy to help you set up a continuous water change system.

Still freaking about my water but don't know what else to do.

Initial water sample in the 20 gallon tub was pH 7.2 and KH was between 53.7 and 71.6

After aging for 24 hours the pH is 7.5 and KH is 71.6.

Are you testing the ph with both the normal and high range ph test?

I would consider moving them to a temporary smaller container and using spring water for WCs as Sharon suggested in your other thread. Any family members in the area where you could set up a 20 gallon tank, feed lightly and stop over every 2-3 days to do WCs? :o. Yes, I realize I'm grasping at straws here. I'd like them out of your water . . . . :idont

I am using both high and low pH. It is below 7.6 on the low and above 7.4 on the high.

I would like the same thing unfortunately our only relative lives about an hour away.

I might be able to get water from work and bring it home that won't be able to happen until Monday.

One thing you might try is one of those under the sink water purification systems. The cartridges remove or reduce a lot of toxins. They might help.

A little good news. Lyle and Ruby are finally eating. I actually caught Lyle trying wedge himself between the pump and wall looking for food.

My plan right now is to leave them in the stock tank, get some water from work and do daily 10% water changes with that water.

The company who services our neutralizing tank are coming on Tuesday and we are sending out our water to be tested. Hopefully in the next week or so we will know what is causing our problems.

Thank you guys for asking. These two are starting to get back to normal. They are begging for food and going crazy chasing down the pellets that I put in the tank. This makes me very happy.

I got some water from work yesterday to do the daily 10% water changes. Unfortunately, pH of it was around 6.0 and the KH was 0. It literally didn't change to blue when I added the drops. I added 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to 10 gallons of it which brought the pH up to 7.5. The only problem was the KH was still low. It was getting late so I did the water change with this adjusted water. I guess I should add some more baking soda to tonights water to bring up the KH some more.

My friend came by last night to take water samples for testing. Like I said earlier her company is one of the state certified water testing facilities. We got in touch with the county health department yesterday unfortunately, the person in charge was out of the office. They are supposed to get back to us about them doing a test of our well water. Finally, there was a mix up and the company that is supposed to recharge the neutralizing tank is not coming until Thursday.

I'm hoping this will get sorted out in the next couple of weeks in the mean time I will be doing daily 10% water changes with water from work.

Glad to hear they are perking up. :D

I would add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. The pH will max out around 8ish with baking soda and as long as the KH gets up there (hopefully close to 100), it should stay up there.

Okay some more good news on the water front. My friend e-mailed me today to tell me that my water sample had no bacteria or detectable volitiles in it. So it looks like my problems are coming from the pH of my water.

When the guy came on Friday to recharge my neutralizing tank he got a pH reading of below 5.6 before the neutralizer. I tested it on Saturday and got an initial pH of 7.5 out of the tap. After I filled up a 30 gallon tub with water I remeasured the pH and got 6.8 out of the tap.

Currently I am doing daily 10% water changes with water from work that I am adjusting with baking soda. The fish seem to be doing really well right now and go crazy whenever I feed them. Keeping in mind this is a 100 gallon stock tank I need suggestions on how I should proceed with water changes so I don't hurt my fish.

Edited by GoFishyGo

Just do continuous water change. If you don't want to put in an overflow pipe, take out 10 gallons of water a day and drip in 10 gallons a day. Even if you don't get the pH right in the fresh water reservoir, your fish will never experience pH shock from a drop of water at a time. If you don't want to put a dripper through the wall of the reservoir, just use the "redneck" dripper to siphon the water into the tank.

I like this tote as a reservoir.

You might like to throw a mesh bag of this in your filter.

Edited by shakaho

Just do continuous water change. If you don't want to put in an overflow pipe, take out 10 gallons of water a day and drip in 10 gallons a day. Even if you don't get the pH right in the fresh water reservoir, your fish will never experience pH shock from a drop of water at a time. If you don't want to put a dripper through the wall of the reservoir, just use the "redneck" dripper to siphon the water into the tank.

I like this tote as a reservoir.

You might like to throw a mesh bag of this in your filter.

For the overflow pipe do you think a uniseal would work on the Rubbermaid stock tank.

They work fine in mine. I use a 1/2" uniseal and pipe for overflow. Since you are just trickling the water in, it will just trickle out. Even outdoors in heavy rain, the 1/2" pipe seems to be big enough.