Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Possible pop eye?

Hello! I was told to come and ask this in the forums here. My black moor that I have had about 4 months had had what I believed to be pop eye since I had gotten her.

At first it seemed to just be one eye larger than the other and when a friend told me it looked like pop eye I did the water changes and salt baths and that seemed to be working. The swelling went down

I just moved her to a larger tank and she was doing fine (it's been up about two months now)

Until just recently I noticed her eye was swelling again, and upon closer inspection the pupil is super dilated and there seems to be a bubble inside the pupil. The eye has gotten HUGE and I am not sure what to do...

She is still very energetic and feisty. Her appetite is still excellent so she is all good there. She's he boss of the tank so my oranda doesn't pick on her at all.

I did a water change last night and gave her another salt soak.

I won't be able to afford any medications until the 17th when I get paid again and I fear it may fall out if i gets any bigger.

Any advice would be awesome, thank you!

In the first image here you can see in her reflection how huge and swollen her left eye is compared to the other.

AL5OasU.jpg

Here is a frontal view, hopefully you can see it.

ItSasl5.jpg

:hi and welcome

Please fill out the following form as completely as you can. :)

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

When you say you did a salt bath, what kind of salt did you use? How much? For how long?

Can you get a pic of the bubble inside the pupil?

Test Results for the Following:

I don't have any testers right now!

* Ammonia Level(Tank) na
* Nitrite Level(Tank) na
* Nitrate level(Tank) na
* Ammonia Level(Tap) na
* Nitrite Level(Tap) na
* Nitrate level(Tap) na
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) na
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) na

Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? na
* Water temperature? 74F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 and about 2 months
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 20gall aqua filter
* How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2 weeks
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday and about 40%
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 and I want to say a little less than 2 in
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquasafe
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Once a day
* Any new fish added to the tank? Nope
* Any medications added to the tank? Nope
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

API Aquarium Salt

Mariland Ich Remedy (used in previous tank)
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

I used API aquarium salt about two table spoons in 2 gallons of water for about 20 minutes.

I'll try to get a picture right now

It doesn't look like popeye to me but a pic from above might help.

Do you see a fluid ring around the eye or does it just look bigger than the other eye? :idont

There doesn't seem to be a ring around the eye. The area behind the eye does look puffed out (if that makes any sense) and the pupil in the one eye is more dilated like stated above. And the bubble in front of the pupil just appeared. I hope she's not blind in the eye, though I am relieved that you don't think it could be pop-eye.

Just not sure what else it could be to cause it to swell to large. There are no sharp objects in the tank or anything

I would like a good close up pic from above with both eyes in the pic for comparison . . .

Aquarium salt is not the treatment for popeye. That would not bring the swelling down. We would use Epsom salt for that . . .

The pet store had told me to use the aquarium salts to care for the ich and the popeye when I got her. But they weren't very helpful to begin with.

But I shall pick up some Epson salts for sure if it ends up being popeye or something that would need it.

Here you go!

http://i.imgur.com/DDgm6dx.jpg

It is not unusual for Telescopes to have uneven eyes at times or even permanently. From, the pictures, I can't see a real problem. But, Fantailfan1 is correct that if there is in fact Popeye happening, Epsom salt (not aquarium salt) would be the proper treatment. However, the aquarium salt would be the treatment of choice for Ich rather than the Marineland Ich Remedy. Another thing that can help prevent eye infections as well as a number of other illnesses is very clean water. I would recommend that you up your water changes to at least 50% once a week and use Seachem Prime as your water conditioner. In addition, having a drop test kit (not the strips) is necessary to make sure your water parameters are safe for your fish. What is the GPH (gallons per hour) of your filter?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=seachem+prime&sprefix=seachem+prime%2Caps%2C198

http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1415246211&sr=1-1&keywords=api+master+test+kit+freshwater

BTW, canning and pickling salt from the grocery store is safe, effective and much cheaper than aquarium salt :)