Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Round Number Three

A bit less than 48 hours ago I noticed eggs in one of my tanks again. Well, rather what was left of them.

I salvaged about two dozen uneaten eggs and transferred them to a small container with tank water, to see if they are even fertile.

Most of them are.

So here we go again.

I count about 17 or 18 embryos, two of them are literally stuck to a bad egg so I'm not sure how well that will work.

A small one gallon tub was set up for them to hatch in and to get them through the first few days, then I'll transfer them to a larger container until they grow big enough for rehoming.

The parents are Banana as mother (lionhead), which makes this her second successful offspring (as in "I noticed it and saved eggs" ) .
The father, I'm not sure. There are three males with her, a ranchu and two shubunkins. I take it that chances are good for some lionhead x shubunkin offspring, which will probably result in nothing special. I do hope that there will be at least one oddball fish though, such as a single tailed fancy or a comet with a double tail. Or something that resembles Cthulhu.

For this photo, the eggs are inside a 4oz jar of Omega One pellets. :)

100_0845_zpsba143f27.jpg

Good luck.

ooooo exciting! Fingers crossed for plenty of healthy oddball babies! :D

Yay! Looking forward to the progress pics :)

ooooo exciting! Fingers crossed for plenty of healthy oddball babies! :D

I just really hope it is not Banana x Bullet (ranchu) again, since I already had / still have offspring from these two. :rofl

I rather really want to see what happens in a cross with a shubie. Most likely a bunch of basic fantails and singletails, but hey - a girl can dream, right?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

:nana that pics is really good! You can see the eye spots so distinctly!!!

:goodluck

Very exciting, good luck :)

I had to sharpen it and use Auto-Levels in Photoshop, because the original pic is a bit fuzzy and washed out. But this really brought out the details!

It is so cute to see their eyes and spines. Wouldn't surprise me to find some having hatched by tomorrow morning!

Wow, good luck! I can't wait to see how they turn out.

:nana that pics is really good! You can see the eye spots so distinctly!!! :goodluck

I had to sharpen it and use Auto-Levels in Photoshop, because the original pic is a bit fuzzy and washed out. But this really brought out the details!

It is so cute to see their eyes and spines. Wouldn't surprise me to find some having hatched by tomorrow morning!

You've still got the skills to pay the bills because I don't know how to sharpen anything on photoshop :hmm

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations, grandma! Bust out that olympic tablespoon!

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations, grandma! Bust out that olympic tablespoon!

Well, I already used the olympic 1/2 tsp yesterday to carefully get a closer look at some of the eggs :D

Exciting, Fang! :D

The first one is in the middle of hatching. Crappy video quality, but I'm uploading it anyway :lol

I was thinking the same thing as Aubrey. Great photography, Fang.

From a fish owner that only have male fish.......Is each time having Fry the same excitement as your first?

I was thinking the same thing as Aubrey. Great photography, Fang.

From a fish owner that only have male fish.......Is each time having Fry the same excitement as your first?

Noooo! It really isn't! LOL Anyone who has Photoshop can sharpen an image. Open image in Photoshop. Click "Filter" at the top, select "Sharpen", and then select "Unsharp Mask". Play with the percentage to figure out where it looks best. I usually use anywhere between 50% and 150%, depending on how clear the original photo is.

And then I just clicked Image - Adjustments - Auto Levels. Made my pic quite purple and off-colored, but it really brought out the details.

THE END

:rofl

Anyway, here's the video. It's about 2 minutes long and not much happens. If you wanna see the little guy twitch (he is about halfway out of the egg with his BACK END), watch for the egg attached BELOW the little piece of anubias root, as seen in this screenshot.

Untitled-1copy_zps5f954716.jpg

He wiggles very obviously shortly after about 40seconds, and 56seconds.

At about 1:09 he moves his entire egg (still his front half is inside) to the left a couple millimeters.

And that's pretty much it. Still, SO CUTE.