Large Common has tumor in mouth and bulging on one side

austinado16

Yes, he's a little over 8" long now, maybe almost 9", and pretty tall and thick. The big Comet, which is the fish that started this all, as a 25 cent feeder, something like 10yrs ago, has a 6" body, and another 3-4" of tail trailing behind.

I feed them a lot of fruit, or maybe I should say, "Produce."

-Persimmon

-Lime slices

-Lemon slices

-Orange slices

-Avocado

-Garlic

-Black Olives

-Grape centers

-Cucumbers

Right now it's Persimmon season, so while I'm standing there eating on (in front of them, of course) I plop a couple spoon fulls into the water and enjoy the antics.

I have three comets. Inherited the first two from a collegeues. Pretty sure they must have be n feeder fish. Was just looking through old photos. Damb they've grown. It's interesting to see yours. I think I'll try out some more exotic things as well. They are a but picky with new things but variety is the spice of life

i'm a huge fan of the Comets. Love their shape, their speed, and their agility. Cracks me when the this big Common is chasing the big Comet around (they're very bonded), or trying to shove her a certain way at feeding time. She just snaps a U-turn and leaves him behind.

If you haven't seen them, I have a few videos of them on youtube under my user name.

Edited by austinado16

One option recommended by the moderators is to mix the Focus in some food so that it enters throughout the internal system of your fish. Also, the Metronidazole (Seachem Metroplex) in the water column would be an additional recommendation for an external treatment. So metro in water column and Focus in the food. And pristine water conditions of course.

Let's us know what you decide to do.

Another option, which is better, is to mix Focus and Metronidazole in food per the ratios on the Focus tube: 5 parts Focus to 1 part Metronidazole.

Again, let us know what you decide to do.

Edit: I see that you had problems in mixing the Focus with food. I'll check on that....

Maybe mix a little avocado, lots of bloodworms and the focus/metro together. It may look a bit messy in the water but the Focus will bind the metro to the food giving it a chance to get into the internal system of your fish.

Edited by LisaCGold

Another option, which is better, is to mix Focus and Metronidazole in food per the ratios on the Focus tube: 5 parts Focus to 1 part Metronidazole.

Again, let us know what you decide to do.

Edit: I see that you had problems in mixing the Focus with food. I'll check on that....

Maybe mix a little avocado, lots of bloodworms and the focus/metro together. It may look a bit messy in the water but the Focus will bind the metro to the food giving it a chance to get into the internal system of your fish.

I have not used Focus before. But, if you have trouble binding the Focus with food, contact Seachem for more detailed suggestions. They are very helpful and quick with correspondence.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Focus.html

Click the "Contact" tab :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd give another update.  All fish are doing just fine and this week I added pink grapefruit to list of foods they'll eat.  Almost as funny as watching them eat limes.   The big Comet gets herself all flared up when she's eating it, like her whole body is going "BOING."

Silly fish.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.  It would have been a real drag to loose one and break up the trio...both for them, and for us!