AC 70 and AC 30 on 40B am I under filtered?

The filters I have running on my 40B is an AC 70 which puts out 300 GPH and a AC 30 which puts out 150 GPH.. I also have one of those 20 gal rated corner filters, which honestly not sure what it really does for filtration....Technically I have the 10x filtration amount with the AC's, but when I put in the tank dimensions in a gallon calculator and it's giving me a 50 gallon calculation for the 40 breeder. So now I am wondering if I am under filtered. I have another AC 70 that I used for the QT that I can replace the AC 30 with by getting new media and adding the old media from the 30, but the 40 is newly cycled and I am already watching for bumps, and I don't want to be switching things now until the BB's are pretty solidly established. Am I ok for now, or should I add the 70 along with the other two for a month or just wait until the BB's are strong enough to make the switch?

Edited by Cdionne77

For a 40B you need 10x the tank's volume in HOB filtration, or between 400 and 500gph.

Since a 40B is best for only two fish, you'll want that amount of filtration. I think the 70 plus the 30 is perfect, at 450gph. :)

For a 40B you need 10x the tank's volume in HOB filtration, or between 400 and 500gph.

Since a 40B is best for only two fish, you'll want that amount of filtration. I think the 70 plus the 30 is perfect, at 450gph. :)

Thank you :) I figured that.. I was just curious because of the gallon calculator saying the 40B was a 50 gallon tank.. Got me thinking I was under filtered

I would say with 2 fish that would be fine.

Thank you..I figured I was good with what I had. The gallon calculator through me off when it said 50 gallons lol

Thank you :) I figured that.. I was just curious because of the gallon calculator saying the 40B was a 50 gallon tank.. Got me thinking I was under filtered

Filtration can really get you thinking huh? 40 gallons 400 gph, 50 gallons 500 gph... Etc. But why? Lets say you have a 100 gallon tank with 1 average size fish in it. Do you really need 1000 gallons per hour of filtration? No. You're not really filtering a volume of water, you're filtering a "fish load". 2 fish in 20 gallons or 100 gallons will require the same amount of filtration. The 10x filtration is a guideline. 2 huge fish will need more filtration than 2 small fish. Etc etc. It's just important to find an amount that works for your set up. That amount will change as the fish grow, so the 10x works good for around 15 gallons per adult size fish.

Filtration can really get you thinking huh? 40 gallons 400 gph, 50 gallons 500 gph... Etc. But why? Lets say you have a 100 gallon tank with 1 average size fish in it. Do you really need 1000 gallons per hour of filtration? No. You're not really filtering a volume of water, you're filtering a "fish load". 2 fish in 20 gallons or 100 gallons will require the same amount of filtration. The 10x filtration is a guideline. 2 huge fish will need more filtration than 2 small fish. Etc etc. It's just important to find an amount that works for your set up. That amount will change as the fish grow, so the 10x works good for around 15 gallons per adult size fish.

Well now that makes more sense. Thank you

Exactly, Jason.

My golden rule is to filter at recommendation, and increase as necessary. I find it works best that way, and leaves room for error should things go funky.

If I notice any changes in the water quality I'll switch out the 30, but will keep it as it is for now

How big is the QT tank? I think, ultimately having the 2 AC 70s on the 40 and using the AC 30 for the QT would be ideal.

If I notice any changes in the water quality I'll switch out the 30, but will keep it as it is for now

How big is the QT tank? I think, ultimately having the 2 AC 70s on the 40 and using the AC 30 for the QT would be ideal.

The QT is a 99 liter (26) gal sterilite tub but I marked it at the 20 gal point when I was using it, so the AC 30 still might not be enough even for 20 gal... Having the 2 70's on the 40 is what I would like and want to do but I'm hesitant at this stage to switch out because the cycle is newly established within the last few days. I was thinking of maybe getting a 10 gal glass QT but with the GF being large even one of them in there during QT might not be ideal, but I could be wrong.

The QT is a 99 liter (26) gal sterilite tub but I marked it at the 20 gal point when I was using it, so the AC 30 still might not be enough even for 20 gal... Having the 2 70's on the 40 is what I would like and want to do but I'm hesitant at this stage to switch out because the cycle is newly established within the last few days. I was thinking of maybe getting a 10 gal glass QT but with the GF being large even one of them in there during QT might not be ideal, but I could be wrong.

I think the AC 30 would be fine for 20 gallons in the QT. Filters on QT's are mainly for water circulation and maybe some mechanical filtration, not for biological filtration like in your main tank. I also think it is is better to have less turbulent filters on QTs as too much current can stress a sick fish. Many people just use airstones.

Remember, the beneficial bacteria is mainly in the Biomax. So, if you switch the Biomax (un-rinsed) from your 30 to your second 70, you shouldn't harm your cycle. Just be sure not to touch the AC 70 already running and cycled when you do this. I think it is fine to wait a while, though if that makes you feel more comfortable.

I think the AC 30 would be fine for 20 gallons in the QT. Filters on QT's are mainly for water circulation and maybe some mechanical filtration, not for biological filtration like in your main tank. I also think it is is better to have less turbulent filters on QTs as too much current can stress a sick fish. Many people just use airstones.

Remember, the beneficial bacteria is mainly in the Biomax. So, if you switch the Biomax (un-rinsed) from your 30 to your second 70, you shouldn't harm your cycle. Just be sure not to touch the AC 70 already running and cycled when you do this. I think it is fine to wait a while, though if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Thank you, this really helps me out a lot. When I have the time to make the switch I think I will do that and use the 30 for the QT