Breeding stars or what?

Do you mean the tiny holes along his head? I'm fairly confident they're not breeding stars, but I have no idea what they are :idont hopefully someone else has an idea as to what they are

I don't think they are truly holes, just indentations. The lateral line you see on the body also looks like a series of "long" holes. :idont They are very obvious on some fish. Depends on the coloring of the fish and whether the scales are metallic or matte. :D

He is about 15cm now. And not a year old yet. He had a huge growth spurt this summer. I really need to weigh him. He keeps flipping at the surfaces and splashes water all other the place. I need to get a bigger tank.

His belly is actually white with black freckles. They say that lots of light keeps the black colour more stable.

He is about 15cm now. And not a year old yet. He had a huge growth spurt this summer. I really need to weigh him. He keeps flipping at the surfaces and splashes water all other the place. I need to get a bigger tank.

His belly is actually white with black freckles. They say that lots of light keeps the black colour more stable.

That would be interesting to know his weight and to keep track of it also. He looks like a strong, solid, fish. Again, Just a beautiful fish. Thank you for sharing more info on him. :)

Hi Dandelion Blue, Blackie looks "pure goldfish" to me. Although he is HUGE, hmmmm. And you say he is very intelligent and active.....I wonder if he could be a koi-goldfish hybrid?

I have two fish that have very similar coloration to Blackie. Pierogi and YIFY are a year and 3 months old and the biggest one is only 10 cm from nose to start of their tail. Both their parents are large goldfish. Their Dad, Shinto was nearly all white with a red crown and their mom is gold/with white. I'm curious to find out if they'll stay dark or if they'll change color. It sounds like you're hoping Blackie stays black. I sort of hope mine lighten up, since my pond liner is black.

Let's compare photos in a year. :D

Breeding stars are only found on the gills and fins.

Goldfish can have breeding stars on the gill plates, fins, wen, face, and body. :)

DB, those indents look completely normal to me. They seem too uniform to be anything to worry on.

Hi mysterygirl. I would love to compare photos in a year.

The reason I think he isn't pure goldfish is that I read that black comets are often hybrids. He is very big for his age, acutely intelligent and boy is he active.

I do love his colouring, especially that it isn't entirely black. However I wouldn't mind terribly if he changes colour. So far he's stayed the same. As he's grown bigger the speckled on his white belly almost got stretched, so that's it's now clearer he us speckled down there. Apart from that he's stayed black. When he's unwell he turns slightly reddish. Or maybe that's my imagination.

It would be interesting to see if yours stay black since you know they are 100% goldfish. It's interesting you got black from that combination of parents.

Thanks guys for reassuring me about the indents.

He is very pretty. I think he's a goldfish/koi hybrid. Do a Google image search for black koi goldfish hybrid and the first pic looks just like him. :)

Edit: double post, computer problems ... sorry! ;)

Edited by *Amanda*