Pineconing ranchu

Lily

I would recommend salting with Epsom salt to 1/4 tsp per gallon.

Did you mean this or is it a typo?

It is a typo, but in this case, a harmless one.

The typical Epsom treatment for many places is actually 1 teaspoon per gallon. For largely historical reasons, this forum has stuck with 1/4 teaspoons per 10 gallons. We have not seen it necessary to raise the amount, but at the same time, the larger amount in no way is toxic.

I'm so sorry that the fish passed, Lis, but please don't think it was the Epsom that exacerbated the condition. :hug

• Supporter

i am sorry, Lis and Lily :hug

and i am sorry, Lisa.. please don't be upset about this, since i don't believe that this much epsom can harm a fish short term.

we advise 1/4 teaspoon for every ten gallons, because usually, this is all that is required to resolve issues of fluid retention. however, studies and experiences from here and the internet gives us the understanding that our dose is well below the amount of Epsom which can be used to treat a fish.

although the dosage is wrong according to our treatment methods, in my opinion it is not wrong enough to bring death to your fish. i do not believe that the addition of this much Epsom in such a short period of time would have been the reason why your fish died. i say this because aquarists, some here at kokos and others elsewhere, do use up to 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt for every gallon not only for medicinal purposes, but to harden the water also.

so, the fact that your fish had stopped eating and that infection appears quite large and raw, my suspicions is that your fish died as a result of the infection and complications from it. if required, i can post references to my information above.

Thank you everyone.

Thanks Helen and Alex for explaining, that does give me a little peace of mind since I was worried I'd overdosed him with Epsom salt. Unfortunately I see this fish once a week if that, so I couldn't say for sure when he started to show signs of lifting scales.

Lisa, please don't feel bad, it was an easy typo to make, and as Alex and Helen have kindly explained, not a mistake that was likely to o have caused his death :hug thank you for all your help, I'm just gutted that he fell so ill when I've been having such a busy few days.

That's the thing with dropsy. There seems to be two different kinds. One is slow-progressing, and we can treat that. The other type is faster-progressing, and it is extremely tough (if even possible) to treat. :(

That's the thing with dropsy. There seems to be two different kinds. One is slow-progressing, and we can treat that. The other type is faster-progressing, and it is extremely tough (if even possible) to treat. :(

Yes. I had a fish that appeared normal one day and fully pineconed the next. I removed him from the pond into a tub for treatment and he was dead before I could even start. The first fish I had with dropsy bloated so slowly that I wasn't sure there was anything wrong. Then one morning she was spectacularly pineconed. It took me almost a week after that to decide whether to treat or euth. I treated and she made a full recovery.