Sign in to follow this  
AllieW815

goldfish seizures (real seizures)

Yes, it's possible.

Thank you. I don't have an empty tank to move him to, but I can remove the decor to prevent further injuries. As for the seizures getting worse, they have been slowly progressing as time has gone by. And then within the last month probably is when they've been at their worst. A tumor could be possible though. He's had seizures for so long that it honestly wouldn't surprise me at all. I did salt the tank to try to help with stress because I know seizures can be stressful. He's having some difficulty swimming right now from hurting himself yesterday, but he's a fighter. He's still moving around and eating. And my other big guys have been trying to help him get to food, and a couple of them have even been spitting out food into smaller pieces to help him eat it. Pretty amazing actually. He's still seizing multiple times a day of course but he's trying hard to fight through it all. I will try treating with some prazi just to be on the safe side as well. Thank you guys. Hopefully something will help my poor guy!

Video?

When you say you salted, what level of salt do you have in the tank?

I think it is unreasonable to keep asking for videos. This is intermittent behavior. Unless one is going to spend hours watching the tank, one is not going to just pick up the camera and get a video. The OPs description of the seizures is very clear and I don't know any value in seeing a video. If one just wants to see what a fish seizure looks like, there are several examples on You Tube.

I think it is unreasonable to keep asking for videos. This is intermittent behavior. Unless one is going to spend hours watching the tank, one is not going to just pick up the camera and get a video. The OPs description of the seizures is very clear and I don't know any value in seeing a video. If one just wants to see what a fish seizure looks like, there are several examples on You Tube.

Eh I dunno she said it happens multiple times a day.

If it was important, I'd get a video of it.

Anyway... Good luck with the fish.

Sharon asked me to describe the issue with my "seizing" fish I had.

I've had a comet, which originally came from the feeder tank. He was part of my initial startup where I did pretty much anything wrong that you could do wrong, such as severe overcrowding (multiple fish in a 10g tank), no fluke treatment for years etc.

A couple years or so back (by then in a 55g with proper filtration, w/c, great water parameters etc), he started to get kind of scrawny looking, with a large, but subtle bulge on one of his sided.

One morning then I found him floating sideways at the surface. Initially I thought he was dead but when I touched him he darted away towards the bottom of the tank, yet he was not swimming normally but spiraling, corkscrewing uncontrollably.

I removed and QT him, and within a few hours he returned to normal. As suggested by Imo I treated him with 2 weeks of .4% salt, prazi and metro as she suspected possibly internal parasites as cause of this.

However, a couple months later he had another episode of which he recovered within hours. I believe there was a third one too, but his overall condition steadily declined until one morning I found him dead for good.

I also have to note that these seizures always seemed to happen in the early morning hours - which is also when I found him dead -, and none of the other fish in his tank was affected.

Interestingly enough I have experienced the same spiraling with one more of my fish, at one single point. The seizure fish had produced offspring a couple months before his first episode, and one of his babies had shown the exact same spiraling/corkscrewing once when he was very little.

I don't know if this was just a coincidence or not, but I found it interesting. The offspring fish is now several years old and has never had any more seizures as far as I'm aware of.

Hope this helps!

how long do the seizures last? and during an episode of seizing, is it just the one or multiple?

i had a 4 year old fish who was affected by external tumors for about 2.5 years. one day, i noticed that he could not find food. i found that odd since i was very sure that in the few days prior, he was finding and eating food with no issues. a few days later i woke up to find him corkscrew swimming. i let him be for a few hours and then i saw him shake uncontrollably, then immediately after coming out of the shake, he swam fast into the driftwood (almost like he wanted to hide and seek comfort).. never lost his appetite, never fell sick with anything else at any given time during my care. since the day i saw him corkscrew swimming (which continued), he began to decline rapidly. almost 10 days later he had declined so much that i had him in a floating breeder's basket and began preparing to euth.

fresh from euthing my fish, i immediately moved on to post mortem. this confirmed my suspicions that there was a tumor growing at the back of his brain, pressing onto the brain. this is what caused him to lose his sight and rapidly, his senses. health wise, he remained as fit as a bull but there was absolutely no quality of life left for him.

i guess what i am trying to say is this. you can try treatment for parasites and other influences, in fact, i encourage you to do so. but you should also be weary with respects to what quality of life he has. perhaps for now and during treatment he will be ok, which is why you should try. but if you notice that he seems to be struggling and getting worse instead, reassess what you consider to be quality of life and make the necessary decision.

Just an update here. Gill has recovered from his injuries from one of his seizures, and is now swimming fine and eating on his own! Though unfortunately since he's had seizures for so long I doubt those will ever go away, I'm extremely happy and proud that he is once again able to function properly on his own. My big boy is a fighter!

Yay for Gill!