Sign in to follow this  
GoFishyGo

Daffodil Sick Again not Eating

Baking soda. How many gallons? 15? It should take a total of about 1.5 tsp. the tub has the bottled water?

Okay I over shot the pH. I assume I can just change out some water to get it down to the right level.

pH is 8.2

KH is 125.3

Yep, try and bring it down just a bit. It's easier for them when going from a lower pH to a higher pH so if you can bring it down just 0.2-0.4 you're good to go. In general a pH of 8.2 is perfectly fine for GF as long as it's stable. With a KH of 125, it should be quite stable. :D

I transferred Daffodil to a 13 gal sterilite container yesterday. I used bottled water which I adjusted with baking soda to a pH of around 7.9. I put an airstone and small heater in there to hopefully make her more comfortable.

I wanted to ask whether I should add the final dose Metro powder today and also if I should be adding any salt to the water.

Crossing my fingers that she will get better. Thanks.

Go ahead with the metro. I don't think the salt is necessary.

Has she been eating? How's her behavior? And this will bring you to 2 weeks of metro?

I put a couple of pellets in there last night and I didn't see them this morning so I gave her five more this morning before I left for work. Both times she didn't eat them right away so I will see if they are there when I get home.

She is mostly bottom sittling like she was in the main tank. She swam around a little but not for very long.

This will complete the 2 weeks of metro powder.

Unlike my other two fish Daffodil is not recovering very well. I was wrong when I said that she had eaten a few pellets yesterday. When I looked closer I found all the food that I had given her in the corner of the tub. She is very lethargic and only moves when I try to pick her up. Otherwise she just bottom sits with her fin clamped. It is very sad and I don't have much hope.

I put the last dose of metro powder in last night. Should I be doing water changes on this tub?

Test for ammonia. If it's less than 1, add Prime and test again in 24 hours. If it's 1 or more, do a WC.

I have some positive news on Daffodil that I wanted to pass along. She is starting to eat again. :happydance

I have been leaving food in the tub during the day and at night I end up removing the same number of pellets that I left in the morning. Last night when I got home there weren't any pellets left in the tub and she had poo hanging off her butt. I gave her a few more pellets, some of which she ate, some she spit out but at least there is some progress. I gave her bloodworms this morning which at first she didn't seem to be interested in but eventually she ate some.

I have been checking the ammonia level daily and it is slowly creaping up so I have been adding Prime daily. It has been almost a week since I have transferred her to the tub and the ammonia reading is about 0.5 ppm. When do you think I should do a water change?

Edited by GoFishyGo

:Jig: Great news!! :Jig:

I would do a WC soon, today or tomorrow.

Keep eating, Daffodil. :Scoff:

I will be using water from work that I'm adjusting with baking soda. Matching temperature is going to be a slight problem since I don't have a heater small enough. How much of a water change should I do?

I will be using water from work that I'm adjusting with baking soda. Matching temperature is going to be a slight problem since I don't have a heater small enough. How much of a water change should I do?

Can you heat some of the water on the stove or in a microwave then put back with other water in order to raise temp? I do this all the time using a microwave.

Edited by LisaCGold

I would do at least a 50% WC. If you do 50% or less, it's not a big deal as long as you monitor your parameters and can do another WC when needed. :D

Some of this is also posted in the "Ruby and Lyle" thread.

Okay some more good news on the water front. My friend e-mailed me today to tell me that my water sample had no bacteria or detectable volitiles in it. So it looks like my problems are coming from the pH of my water.

When the guy came on Friday to recharge my neutralizing tank he got a pH reading of below 5.6 before the neutralizer. I tested it on Saturday and got an initial pH of 7.5 out of the tap. After I filled up a 30 gallon tub with water I remeasured the pH and got 6.8 out of the tap.

Right now Daffodil is in a 12 gallon hospital tub trying to recover from my stupidity. She was eating over the weekend and I had a pretty good ammonia spike right now she is back to not eating. Since we aren't treating her for anything I would like to put her back in my cycled 38 tank so I don't have to worry as much about ammonia levels.

Please let me know whether you think I can transfer her back and how I should proceed based on the pH of my water.

Thanks.

I think it's OK to put her back in the cycled tank. I think that she was eating and doing better in the QT without any meds tells us it's a water issue.

If the only issue with your water is the pH, I would continue with either frequent small WCs (daily) or larger maybe every few days WCs. Either way, I think baking soda will be your new best friend. Have you tested the KH recently? :idont

Glad there is nothing too sinister in your tap. :D

I think it's OK to put her back in the cycled tank. I think that she was eating and doing better in the QT without any meds tells us it's a water issue.

If the only issue with your water is the pH, I would continue with either frequent small WCs (daily) or larger maybe every few days WCs. Either way, I think baking soda will be your new best friend. Have you tested the KH recently? :idont

Glad there is nothing too sinister in your tap. :D

The KH is 89.5 today.