• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5-10
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature? 67* F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 38 gallons, 1 1/2 years
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 60-70%
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 60%
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish about 3"
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day, Hikari Lionhead, NLS Thera+, Bloodworms, and Peas
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
    • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazipro
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Last Thursday added Prazipro and salt 0.1%. Second dose prazi Last Friday salt is up to 0.3%. Monday changed water brought salt back up to 0.3%. Yesterday changed water started round 2 prazi and salt back to 0.3%
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, not eating, twitchy.

This all started a couple of weeks ago when I did a 100% water change. Afterwards Daffodil got very floaty and wasn't very hungry. I fasted her for a few days and then fed her some peas. She seemed to recover and was eating but still wasn't completely herself. This has happened previously as you can see in this thread from March.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116578-daffoil-not-eating-and-having-problems-staying-down/

Last Thursday I decide to treat her for flukes as I did back in March. After the second dose she started bottom sitting and progressively being not interested in food. In the last couple days she has become totally disinterested in food. I have tried soaked pellets and her favorite bloodworms but still no interest. I have been leaving the pellets in the tank for quite some time and after awhile she has tried to eat them but then spit them out. I have seen some poo in the tank so she must be eating something when I'm not watching. She is very lethargic and is either bottom sitting or just skimming the bottom of the tank.

Below are a few sad pictures of her from this morning. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

IMG_20141024_065125_189_zpsdbedfa09.jpg

IMG_20141024_063321_036_zpsfc8aa75b.jpg

IMG_20141024_063329_442_zps4bb61d66.jpg

Bottom sitting is not uncommon with Prazi treatments. But, we need to watch and be prepared for internal bacterial infections that may occur due to the dying Flukes.

Are you doing the 7-day rounds of Prazi?

Are you double dosing the Prazi with the 0.3% salt?

Do you have any antibiotics such as Metronidazole, Triple Sulpha or Kanaplex?

Okay, I just looked at the old thread. We had you get a heater and bring the temp up to 72 F. Now, I see it is back down to 67 F. Do you still have the heater? If so, I would like you to raise the temperature back to 72 F over the next couple of days (like 2 or 3 degrees per day).

I am doing 7 day rounds of the Prazi and just started the second round. I double dosed and have the salt at 0.3%.

I have the heater and will put it back in the tank tonight.

I have both Kanaplex and Triple Sulfa ready to go.

I am doing 7 day rounds of the Prazi and just started the second round. I double dosed and have the salt at 0.3%.

I have the heater and will put it back in the tank tonight.

I have both Kanaplex and Triple Sulfa ready to go.

Let's see what the heat does, first. In the meantime, can you get some Metronidazole powder? This is the preferred treatment for internal infections. We often pair it with either Kanaplex "or" Triple Sulpha. Based on her history, I am inclined to try the Metro + Triple Sulpha if this continues.

Here's what I generally use:

http://www.petmountain.com/searchx/0/0/1/1/?s=seachem+Metronidazole&g=SEARCH

Seachem just changed the name to "Metroplex", so you will find it under that name as well.

I will see if I can find Metronidazole powder at lunch today. If not I will order online.

How gorgeous is Daffodil! :thud

Sending her lots of get well wishes :)

Thank you Kate.

I was able to find the Metronidazole powder at my LFS. I will add the heater when I get home and start raising the temp. Hopefully this will help.

Healing vibes to beautiful Daffodil!

Here's an update on Daffodil. I have had a heater in the tank since Friday and the water temperature is 73*. Over the last couple of days she has improved a little. She is still bottom sitting but will hover around the tank some of the time. She is a little more interested in eating but is still spitting out her food.

I have finished round two of her prazi treatment and will start round three on Thursday.

Should I continue the treatment and see if she continues to improve or should I try something else?

Can you post a video of her please? Do you know when the last time she ate was? Have you seen any poo?

Can you post a video of her please? Do you know when the last time she ate was? Have you seen any poo?

She ate a few pellets tonight but I'm not sure how much she actually ate since she spit it out. I gave her blood worms this morning and she ate some of them. You might see the poo hanging off her butt in the attatched video.

Thanks for the video. It's very helpful.

She doesn't look like a happy camper. Very clamped still.

Has she ever been treated with antibiotics? If so when?

Any meds in the tank currently? Prazi? Salt? If so, what round and what day are you on?

You were able to get both metronidazole and triple sulpa, right? :idont

I think it's time to start some antibiotics but I want to get a feel for what treatment she has had thus far. :D

When I first got her in August of 2013 she was treated with General Cure and Kanaplex.

Right now we are at the end of round two of prazi and was going to start round three on Thursday. There is 0.3% salt in the tank right now.

I have metronidazole, triple sulfa, and Kanaplex.

Is she the only fish in the tank?

Edit: Just read she is the only one in the tank . . .

If you treat her in the main tank with antibiotics, it will most likely mess with your cycle. Are you planning on treating in there?

Edited by fantailfan1

I can set up a hospital tank tomorrow if you think that would work better.

:hmm It's kind of a tricky situation because if you treat in the main tank it messes with your cycle but then you are also treating the tank with the medicine. I hate to treat a fish in QT then return it to a possibly infected tank. :idont

Let's see what the other mods suggest but it's good to know you are open to either option. :D

The other problem is that if you remove her for any length of time, your cycle will suffer for lack of fish unless you dose ammonia to keep it going. One thing you could try is to just dose the Metronidazole in the main tank and see if she improves. The Metro won't harm your cycle or plants. If this doesn't work, then you could add either the Kanaplex or the Triple Sulpha.

Keep in mind that doing the main tank will take more medicine than if done in the QT tank. So, you will probably have to buy more if you go this route.

If it were me, for this particular situation, I would first try pairing the Metronidazole with the salt and Prazi in the main tank.

Is the salt really needed with the metro?

Might help with external infections, but 0.1% would probably be sufficient.

Okay so I will treat her with Metro powder in the main tank. I should continue with the Prazi treatment at the same time correct?

The Metro directions say to treat every two days until symptoms disappear. So I plan on doing a water change today to get the salt down to approximately 0.1% and then doing the first treatment of Metro.

However, I am supposed to start round 3 of the Prazi treatment tomorrow which is supposed to be a water change and then adding Prazi. Do you think I should treat with Prazipro a day early or keep on the schedule and treat tomorrow? With or without an additional water change?

Also, with the Metro there is no mention of water changes. Should I just change water according to the Prazi treatments or do I need to do it more often.

Thanks for your help.

Okay so I will treat her with Metro powder in the main tank. I should continue with the Prazi treatment at the same time correct?

The Metro directions say to treat every two days until symptoms disappear. So I plan on doing a water change today to get the salt down to approximately 0.1% and then doing the first treatment of Metro.

However, I am supposed to start round 3 of the Prazi treatment tomorrow which is supposed to be a water change and then adding Prazi. Do you think I should treat with Prazipro a day early or keep on the schedule and treat tomorrow? With or without an additional water change?

Also, with the Metro there is no mention of water changes. Should I just change water according to the Prazi treatments or do I need to do it more often.

Thanks for your help.

Are you doing the 5 or the 7-day rounds of Prazi?

Precisely when did you start the last round and how many days has the tank been Prazi free?

I want to sync things up to save medicine and make this as easy as possible for you and the fish.

I am doing the 7 day Prazi treatment.

I started round 2 of the treatment last Thursday the 23rd. I did a 60% water change on Monday the 27th so I guess we have been prazi free for two days.

Thanks for helping me with the meds.