Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

bristlenose pleco breeding problems

So my bristlenose plecos have bred again for the third time but this time the male is hardly interested in the new eggs. The first batch of eggs the male reared and protected the eggs and fry but with the second batch he kicked all the eggs out which I thought he might had done it but it seems he may not have. At the weekend I moved all the first batch of fry and the few of the second batch of fry (lost nearly all to a random disease) into a 34 gallon tank with my five adults consisting of the mum and dad, a young male long fin, a young female albino and an adult female who just doesn't breed and they all settled in fine. Well yesterday I checked on them and the mum had ripped fins and the dad was in the cave and believe it or not they bred but this time the dad doesn't fan the eggs or stay in the cave all the time so I'm unsure if he was the one that bred but I'm assuming it was him so do any of you guys have any idea what I should do or not do. Thanks (also pics will be added when my computer is fixed :) )

Best of luck; scientific curiosity piqued

Best of luck; scientific curiosity piqued

Thanks I'm just a little worried about the eggs already found one out of the cave but put it back in :)

I would suggest maybe contacting Acro, as he's done some pleco breeding in the past. He may be able to help you out with practical experience. :)

Good luck!

I would suggest maybe contacting Acro, as he's done some pleco breeding in the past. He may be able to help you out with practical experience. :)

Good luck!

Thanks I will message acro :)

And I got the PM. :D

Can you give a little more detail . . .

Are they being kept in 1 or 2 aquariums (I know one is a 34 gallon)?

What is in the aquarium (décor, plants, etc.)?

Are there other fish species in with the bristlenose?

How old are the parent bristlenose?

And yes, photos would be helpful.

And I got the PM. :D

Can you give a little more detail . . .

Are they being kept in 1 or 2 aquariums (I know one is a 34 gallon)?

What is in the aquarium (décor, plants, etc.)?

Are there other fish species in with the bristlenose?

How old are the parent bristlenose?

And yes, photos would be helpful.

They are being kept in one aquarium and there are two baby guppies and a baby platy. There is some mopani wood three small terracotta pots on their side and a bigger with an a Amazon sword in it and some rocks and its barebottom. The parents are probably between 1-2 years probably but the male may be older can't remember when I got him when he was a baby :)

Forgot to update :( but anyway the male kicked out all the eggs :( and only 4 were still fertile so I put them in a plastic breeder and today 2 of them have hatched can't wait for the other 2 to hatch and I will try and take pics of them this time :P:):D

In your first post, I over looked that the female had ripped fins. This may happen with mating. How is she doing?

With out seeing the tank (photo?) I can't really say, but sometimes the males like a tight cave and the terracotta pots may not feel secure enough for him. The young male that's in there may be stressing the older male and cause him to kick the eggs out.

The bristlenose pleco eggs and babies do better with the dad's care, but they can grow up all on their own with a little help from you. Sounds like you've got that taken care of. Just try keeping the eggs (and recently hatched) where there is water movement.

Good Luck!

:D

In your first post, I over looked that the female had ripped fins. This may happen with mating. How is she doing?

With out seeing the tank (photo?) I can't really say, but sometimes the males like a tight cave and the terracotta pots may not feel secure enough for him. The young male that's in there may be stressing the older male and cause him to kick the eggs out.

The bristlenose pleco eggs and babies do better with the dad's care, but they can grow up all on their own with a little help from you. Sounds like you've got that taken care of. Just try keeping the eggs (and recently hatched) where there is water movement.

Good Luck!

:D

The females fins have healed up and the male does have a tight cave that he breeds in with the females but he doesn't seem to like to care for eggs anymore :(. The last batch I raised I did the same thing as this batch as the male kicked the eggs out and I will try and get pics :)

Congrats!!! Good luck with your plecos!!! Where are the pics??? :P

I will try and get some tomorrow lol after I clean the tank out :P