White spots are spreading

Isa17

your welcome.

if you feel the flukes issue is resolved, then i would consider stopping all meds and just keep her in QT with the airwand. if you have a spare filter and can seed it with cycled media from the main tank, that would be awesome. since we are not treating with any meds from this point forward, there is no need for many water changes. we can drop the routine down to twice weekly if you can add a cycled filter to the QT tank.

even if you still need to treat with prazi, we are ok to be doing only 2 wc's each week. i think another 2-3 weeks in QT, monitoring these bubbles is a good idea. i will see if i can round up some pictures as an example to what GBD (Gas Bubble Disease) looks like in advanced stages and some information on it, so that you can better understand why i am suggesting this method for your fish.

Could the issue be associated with the fact that I started using a hose to fill her tank instead of buckets?

what immediate temperature fluctuation to you believe is involved with every water change?

The temperature is usually pretty matched. Maybe 1 or 2 degrees difference if any

• Supporter

here is some information i quickly copied off the internet.

Heart and Blood Vessel Disorders

Fish are cold-blooded, which means their body temperature is close to and fluctuates with the temperature of their environment. In addition, all their bodily processes are greatly influenced by the water temperature. Water that is very cold or that has been under pressure can become supersaturated with dissolved gases. If the temperature rises or the pressure drops suddenly, these gases may expand rapidly. If fish have already been exposed to this supersaturated water, the gases they absorbed while breathing may also expand rapidly, releasing gas into the bloodstream. This is called gas bubble disease, and the small bubbles created can result in much tissue damage and death. Gas bubble disease in pond fish can be caused by owners filling an outdoor pond with well water using a hose. If the hose is submerged, gas in the incoming water will stay dissolved in the water and can cause problems. This is especially important if the water source is a deep well. To prevent this, the inflowing water can be sprayed as it hits the tank or pool.

• Supporter

it is exactly what i suspected and the hose information you volunteered confirms that my suspicions are correct. i would be changing my water changing methods to begin correcting what has happened.

it is exactly what i suspected and the hose information you volunteered confirms that my suspicions are correct. i would be changing my water changing methods to begin correcting what has happened.

I feel so bad that this was my fault :undecided: ...but happy that it was catched on time. I will go back to buckets. Is this because the hose is underwater while the tank is filling, I mean I'm curious. Would it be better if I sprayed the water on top of the tank?

• Supporter

you weren't to know, and now you do. this will make all the difference :) spraying the water in is what the article suggests, however, whilst she is in QT and hopefully recovering, i would prefer you use buckets for her. for the main tank, yes, do not sink the hose in for the water change. i don't even do that with my python.. i want to hear the water falling otherwise i will forget it and the tank will overflow. GBD is the second reason why i 'splash' the water into the tank rather than sink the water changer in there.

we read the word 'spraying' but it's more or less allowing the water to 'fall' into the tank like a waterfall, ie, a HOB filter system.

This is very interesting as I think many people use Mikey's method to fill their tanks. Perhaps Mikey needs to do an updated version, informing people to let the water splash the surface as it enters the tank rather than have the hose underwater. :idont

This is very interesting as I think many people use Mikey's method to fill their tanks. Perhaps Mikey needs to do an updated version, informing people to let the water splash the surface as it enters the tank rather than have the hose underwater. :idont

I agree as it's not something I did not imagine could be harmful to my fish Edited by Isa17

you weren't to know, and now you do. this will make all the difference :) spraying the water in is what the article suggests, however, whilst she is in QT and hopefully recovering, i would prefer you use buckets for her. for the main tank, yes, do not sink the hose in for the water change. i don't even do that with my python.. i want to hear the water falling otherwise i will forget it and the tank will overflow. GBD is the second reason why i 'splash' the water into the tank rather than sink the water changer in there.

we read the word 'spraying' but it's more or less allowing the water to 'fall' into the tank like a waterfall, ie, a HOB filter system.

This is something I will always know and remember from now on! I will watch out carefully for temperature, use buckets and change her air stone to a wand. According to you, is she going to be fine and how long can it take for her to go back to "normal"? Thanks again Helen!

I also recommend watching out for differences in ph between tap and tank. I found that my tap water changed in ph from 7.6 to 8.2. Some people find that their tap ph drops. It is not so bad when a fish goes from a lower ph to a higher ph, but the other way around is not good especially if the difference is greater than 0.5.

I also recommend watching out for differences in ph between tap and tank. I found that my tap water changed in ph from 7.6 to 8.2. Some people find that their tap ph drops. It is not so bad when a fish goes from a lower ph to a higher ph, but the other way around is not good especially if the difference is greater than 0.5.

I will watch out for this, too. Thank you

I had a supersaturated gas problem recently, but mine was from filling the tank too quickly (i.e. using too much water pressure). I use a Python and always keep the hose above water when refilling the tank. The only faucet it hooks up to does not have adjustable temp, although the source water is ambient and near the tank temp.

I found that by turning the water pressure way down, the air bubbles no longer formed, save for a couple on the plants (but definitely none on the fish). It was like when you fill up a glass of water with the sink on full blast and get tons of bubbles, but when you fill it up slowly, you don't. Just something to keep in mind, since water pressure makes a big difference too.

• Supporter

This is something I will always know and remember from now on! I will watch out carefully for temperature, use buckets and change her air stone to a wand. According to you, is she going to be fine and how long can it take for her to go back to "normal"? Thanks again Helen!

this is something i am not sure about, hun. GBD does not present frequently and in most cases, it goes undetected. so really, i only recall the symptoms and not much more. lets aim for a few weeks in QT using the boring old bucket method for her and see how she does.

keep us updated with any news on her, good or bad.. especially keep an eye on any symptoms flukes related since you have just finished treating her for that :)

this is something i am not sure about, hun. GBD does not present frequently and in most cases, it goes undetected. so really, i only recall the symptoms and not much more. lets aim for a few weeks in QT using the boring old bucket method for her and see how she does.

keep us updated with any news on her, good or bad.. especially keep an eye on any symptoms flukes related since you have just finished treating her for that :)

Perfect! She is under close observation hihi! I'll keep you updated

• Supporter

:bighug

:bighug

Fiona is doing great! I think time will heal her well.