Sign in to follow this  
Kate89

Star Fisheries Open Day (very pic heavy!)

Thank you thank you thank you!! Fantastic pictures and video. :thumbup2: All those cute little fishies :wub: . I'm looking forward to your picture of the fish you took home.

I'm so glad you posted! I am in the process of setting up my first fancy tank so I should be looking at getting a couple of fish around Christmas time...perhaps a little after, and I was really considering star fisheries. At the moment I am thinking of getting a couple of pearl scale/a pearlie and a ranchu.

What gorgeous fishes. Love the little celestial and the tri-colour orandas.

The prices really surprised me. I'm guessing that those fish were show quality?

While you were there did you see any cheaper specimens of pearlies and ranchu? And if so, were they still decent quality fish?

Sorry about the questions, I just partly need to feel like I'm doing something productive to reach my fishy dreams :teehee . I'm just so excited about the day I can finally welcome some fish into my home and so frustrated that it's taking me so long to get everything together :madrant

I have been on their website and know you can get small fancy varieties for under a tenner...but it's difficult when I don't really know what I would receive.

I got my new fish from Star Fisheries and as Kate89 said the packaging was terrible. I went for the 'budget' fish and must say that although they are not show quality (Oranda and Pearlie are a bit long bodied for the breed ideal etc etc) they are still lovely quality fish and I doubt I'd be able to find similar in a regular fish or pet shop. If you went for more expensive fish they'll probably bother to package them properly. I spent £25 on overnight shipping and only £16 on the actual fish. It is a bit of a downside not picking the exact fish but you do get to pick breed and colour. I would say that if possible better to go and collect them yourself but if not then the 'budget' fishies are still worth the cost of shipping. I also have to add that they did get my order wrong and I got a crowned calico pearlscale instead of a regular red and white. Still, they are gorgeous fish and so far very healthy.

Awww, your pearlie is so adorable that I would say the mix up was a lucky mistake :teehee

Thanks for your input, I'm relieved that your fish are healthy because this was my main concern as it's possible I won't have the money to travel to their show room and see them for myself. Though after seeing those pics I am pretty desperate to.

Maybe I can wrangle it as a Christmas present from my OH. :hummm

I'm glad you all enjoyed seeing the pictures :D

I wish I could've gone :( kind of glad I didn't go though, I know I would have bought something :rofl thanks for the pictures Kate, looks so good!

Lis if you're ever in the area, you have to make a visit. It is goldfish heaven! :9

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so overwelmed I can't express myself and I can't even see all the pics cuz I'm at work. I'll check things out better when I get home!

I know where I want to go if I visit the UK :thud

Aubrey imagine how overwhelmed I was when I walked in! I didn't know what to do with myself! :krazy:

I'm so glad you posted! I am in the process of setting up my first fancy tank so I should be looking at getting a couple of fish around Christmas time...perhaps a little after, and I was really considering star fisheries. At the moment I am thinking of getting a couple of pearl scale/a pearlie and a ranchu.

What gorgeous fishes. Love the little celestial and the tri-colour orandas.

The prices really surprised me. I'm guessing that those fish were show quality?

While you were there did you see any cheaper specimens of pearlies and ranchu? And if so, were they still decent quality fish?

Sorry about the questions, I just partly need to feel like I'm doing something productive to reach my fishy dreams :teehee . I'm just so excited about the day I can finally welcome some fish into my home and so frustrated that it's taking me so long to get everything together :madrant

I have been on their website and know you can get small fancy varieties for under a tenner...but it's difficult when I don't really know what I would receive.

The fish I bought was £30, and I'd say he's no more than 2'' long (not including tail). I've done a thread on him in the 'new fish arrival' section if you want to have a look. So yes they do have smaller and cheaper fish, but still not as cheap as you would find in your LFS, I didn't see any under £15. Having said that though they were all gorgeous fish, so I was happy to pay it. It's also possible that he didn't have any of the smaller fish on display as it was an open day, he probably just wanted to display his best stock. If you contact Andy Green via the website he gets back to you pretty quick and I'm sure he'd be able to help you out :)

Good luck with your new tank, it's all so exciting!! :D

Wow, that is just amazing. I would LOVE to have a place like this in my area. We have some great auction sites here in the U.S., but nowhere around me that you can go and look at high-quality GF in person.

I am familiar with Star Fisheries and they have many beautiful fish. I actually emailed them once because their website said they shipped to the U.S., but they told me it would cost about $500 to do so!!! :yikes

Err yeh $500 is a bit steep :yikes you could have one of those giant orandas for that price!

I often look at the ECR and Dandy Orandas fish online, you do have some great breeders in the US.

OMG! :thud It's like a candy store in there!

I'm surprised you didn't get one of everything! :rofl

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed it! :D

Oh trust me, if I had the space, I would definitely have one of everything! I'm going to pinch Lis's tank one day :peeka

But until then, I can only dream...

How large is the big tank? Did they say how many gallons?

I didn't ask, I will do next time :) I can tell you that it was narrow and deep and very long. :fishtank

Very nice quality fish! Wish they would ship to Holland.....

Amanda got a quote for shipping to the US, so it might be worth enquiring :idont

I wonder how much rent they would charge, because I definitely want to move in and live there.

Thanks for sharing!

I didn't want to leave! It's definitely the kind of place I wouldn't mind accidentally getting locked in overnight! :rofl

GIVE ME RANCHUS! AND ORANDAS! AND RYUKINS! AND AND :thud

Bought mine from there almost 2 years ago!!! Really should post an update, fishler no longer has a moustache lol.

I bought mine online and they arrived in the post but really want to visit one day. They had a Giant 10" panda oranda for sale a year or so back. If you have to ask how much you can't afford lol.

50c60e53eb259.jpg

Well I thought I would want to live in Japan to get goldfish but I guess I'll be fine with the uk

This gave me a reason to move to the UK...

Lovely goldfish!!! ;)

Edited by litelboyblu

My GF inquired on shipping to Denmark, and it would cost us 3000 danish kroner - which is about 500 US - to the airport (3 hours away by train) for 1 to 30 goldfish, just for the shipping. So if you got a few people together willing to pay the price - it could be worth it.

Now there are different rules for each country regarding importing live animals, so please check your local rules before doing this.

And thanks for the pictures and videos. Will defiantly come back to this thread again!

That was amazing to see all of your photo's and video's. :wub: Thank you for sharing these with us. I would have spent at least a couple of hours in that store just looking at every single fish. Do they sell tanks, equipment, and food also? In the very first photo...I've never seen goldfish before displayed in those small show tanks at a fish store. Is that common to see where you live? If I went there to pick out and purchase a new fish I would have had an extremely hard time deciding. How hard, or easy, was it for you? I can't wait to see who you picked out. I'm really excited for you Kate. :)

Edited by 4prettyfish

Amanda got a quote for shipping to the US, so it might be worth enquiring :idont

If you want to import fish you need to be in a business which deals in live fish to have proper permits, you can get a cites permit(exeption) to import fish, but there are many exeptions and the cost of clearing at customs is very high. Just because the UK is not an 'economical' member of the EU all it is the same as importing from other parts of the world. I will try and check if my local LFS is able to help with importing though, might be costly but i would not want to have the fish held up in bureaucracy!

Bought mine from there almost 2 years ago!!! Really should post an update, fishler no longer has a moustache lol.

I bought mine online and they arrived in the post but really want to visit one day. They had a Giant 10" panda oranda for sale a year or so back. If you have to ask how much you can't afford lol.

50c60e53eb259.jpg

Omg, the size of that oranda!! :yikes

It would be great to see some updates of your fish :D

That was amazing to see all of your photo's and video's. :wub: Thank you for sharing these with us. I would have spent at least a couple of hours in that store just looking at every single fish. Do they sell tanks, equipment, and food also? In the very first photo...I've never seen goldfish before displayed in those small show tanks at a fish store. Is that common to see where you live? If I went there to pick out and purchase a new fish I would have had an extremely hard time deciding. How hard, or easy, was it for you? I can't wait to see who you picked out. I'm really excited for you Kate. :)

You're very welcome! :D I enjoyed taking all the pics and writing the thread, it's nice to document my trip.

As far as I'm aware they don't sell tanks or equipment (I jokingly asked how much for the big oranda tank and the guy just laughed, I bet he's heard that too many times for it to be funny!). The only thing I saw them selling was bags of hikari lionhead and saki hikari. They had big bags of the lion head for £14.99, which is close to what I pay for the smaller bag so I was tempted, its difficult to get hold of in the UK, I've never seen it in a LFS so have to order online. If I had bigger or more fish I would have got it, but it would take me so long to finish a big bag that I'd worry the food would go bad.

I've never ever seen fish displayed in those small show tanks before, its certainly not common practice in the UK. I asked the guy and he said they just put them in there purely for display purposes on open days, so they're in there for max 5 hours, and they only have open days once a month from October to December. I don't know if you can see in the pic but each little tank had an air stone in it.

Choosing one fish out of all of those beauties was difficult!! It was only made easier by the fact that I had some specific criteria. We spent a good hour just looking round, and then probably another hour deciding on a fish :teehee I've written about it in my 'new fish arrival' thread :)

If you want to import fish you need to be in a business which deals in live fish to have proper permits, you can get a cites permit(exeption) to import fish, but there are many exeptions and the cost of clearing at customs is very high. Just because the UK is not an 'economical' member of the EU all it is the same as importing from other parts of the world. I will try and check if my local LFS is able to help with importing though, might be costly but i would not want to have the fish held up in bureaucracy!

Ah ok, it doesn't sound straight forward then. And from what people have said the shipping is very expensive. In my opinion if you are able to get decent goldies in your own country I'd just stick with that, I'm not a fan of travelling goldies. The ones that had been imported from China looked they had been through it, I do think that we have to question the ethics of importing animals for our own pleasure.

It looks like you have some gorgeous fish of your own Hinfin :)

Ah ok, it doesn't sound straight forward then. And from what people have said the shipping is very expensive. In my opinion if you are able to get decent goldies in your own country I'd just stick with that, I'm not a fan of travelling goldies. The ones that had been imported from China looked they had been through it, I do think that we have to question the ethics of importing animals for our own pleasure.

Well, thank you very much. Inherent problem is getting good quality breeding stock, to me there simply is no point in breeding low grade goldfish or even fish that won't colour up fast enough like the ranchu i have now. Even if you can import good quality breeding stock it takes a lot of time to breed a few decent fish. So to be honest, i doubt we can do without importing goldfish.

Saying this i do have to admit i am trying to do the utmost in selecting and raising the fry, to prevent common problems with Ranchu, but also to progress to a point where the quality of my own bred fish surpasses the quality of the parents or maybe even the quality one can buy trough import channels.

Im just getting started with breeding ranchu though, but i will try and submit the diary ive kept for my ranchu fry as soon as i have had the time to edit it. Maybe some here would be interested to try and raise a spawn themselves.

A good tip when buying imported fish is to buy them young so you have time to learn about them and select the ones for breeding which do not express most common health problems. This will also let you learn and implement the best husbandry routine for the fish you have and will prevent early mistakes in breeding genetic problems into your future breeding stock. Smaller fish usually suffer less damage from transport aswell.

So if i lived in the UK, Star fisheries would definately be on my 'must visit' list! :thumb:

Well, thank you very much. Inherent problem is getting good quality breeding stock, to me there simply is no point in breeding low grade goldfish or even fish that won't colour up fast enough like the ranchu i have now. Even if you can import good quality breeding stock it takes a lot of time to breed a few decent fish. So to be honest, i doubt we can do without importing goldfish.

Saying this i do have to admit i am trying to do the utmost in selecting and raising the fry, to prevent common problems with Ranchu, but also to progress to a point where the quality of my own bred fish surpasses the quality of the parents or maybe even the quality one can buy trough import channels.

Im just getting started with breeding ranchu though, but i will try and submit the diary ive kept for my ranchu fry as soon as i have had the time to edit it. Maybe some here would be interested to try and raise a spawn themselves.

A good tip when buying imported fish is to buy them young so you have time to learn about them and select the ones for breeding which do not express most common health problems. This will also let you learn and implement the best husbandry routine for the fish you have and will prevent early mistakes in breeding genetic problems into your future breeding stock. Smaller fish usually suffer less damage from transport aswell.

So if i lived in the UK, Star fisheries would definately be on my 'must visit' list! :thumb:

You'll definitely have to keep us up to date with your fry, I'm a ranchu fan so would enjoy reading about your breeding experiences :)

I totally agree with you about getting young fish - I've had some adults in the past which came with their problems. The other two fish I've got at the moment are babies and I'm really enjoying seeing them thrive and grow under the best conditions I can provide them with, rather than them doing all their growing in sub-standard conditions. To be honest Star Fisheries had very few young fish, my oranda was one of the smallest there, and since I only want to buy young fish from now on it did make my decision easier but it would have been nice to see more of a selection.

You'll definitely have to keep us up to date with your fry, I'm a ranchu fan so would enjoy reading about your breeding experiences :)

I totally agree with you about getting young fish - I've had some adults in the past which came with their problems. The other two fish I've got at the moment are babies and I'm really enjoying seeing them thrive and grow under the best conditions I can provide them with, rather than them doing all their growing in sub-standard conditions. To be honest Star Fisheries had very few young fish, my oranda was one of the smallest there, and since I only want to buy young fish from now on it did make my decision easier but it would have been nice to see more of a selection.

I have started working on the diary, but allready have 28 pages in word on the first week! When i can post it i will try and keep it informative and very pic heavy!

The deal with the large fancy's is that many just want to buy into very large very high quality fish because it is simply the easiest possible way to enjoy the best quality fish the chinese, thai or japanese have to offer. Growing out an oranda to adult size and of top quality is VERY difficult. As is with Koi which i am much more familiar with then ranchu or oranda.

Anyway, observing and learning from the fish is what kept the best breeders occupied for generations, who are we to challenge that.....

Sorry about the rant, will try and limit the occasions. :teehee

There are a few places near where I live that are similar to Star Fisheries ... but they don't sell to the public!! It was very frustrating when I kept coming across all these great goldfish sellers, only to see the fine print: "All buyers must be licensed fish dealers." Argh!

There are a few places near where I live that are similar to Star Fisheries ... but they don't sell to the public!! It was very frustrating when I kept coming across all these great goldfish sellers, only to see the fine print: "All buyers must be licensed fish dealers." Argh!

Its the same here, they just wont bother with us picky hobbyists! :teehee

There is one big importer who also offers 'handpicked A quality Oranda's' which i can order trough my LFS. But i do not need oranda and even then i want to handpick them myself and that will definately be out of the question!

There is one big importer who also offers 'handpicked A quality Oranda's' which i can order trough my LFS. But i do not need oranda and even then i want to handpick them myself and that will definately be out of the question!

Yeah, with goldfish especially you really have to see what the fish looks like, since there is so much variation. My LFS gets faxed a list by their supplier every Tuesday, and the LFS has 30 min to check off what they want and fax it back. Photos are out of the question, and you have no way of knowing if the fish will even conform to what the list says. I would also feel bad if the supplier shipped goldfish to my LFS that I ended up not wanting, since then my LFS would be stuck with them (and they don't carry goldfish, since it gets too hot in the store).

Right. I'm making a two and a half hour each way trip there next month and I don't care if it kills me :rofl

Yeah, with goldfish especially you really have to see what the fish looks like, since there is so much variation. My LFS gets faxed a list by their supplier every Tuesday, and the LFS has 30 min to check off what they want and fax it back. Photos are out of the question, and you have no way of knowing if the fish will even conform to what the list says. I would also feel bad if the supplier shipped goldfish to my LFS that I ended up not wanting, since then my LFS would be stuck with them (and they don't carry goldfish, since it gets too hot in the store).

If your in the US it would seem logical to just rely on ordering fish online, would be more costly but if you get the fish you want it would be priceless :fishtank

If your in the US it would seem logical to just rely on ordering fish online, would be more costly but if you get the fish you want it would be priceless :fishtank
Yeah, that's exactly what I did when setting up my tank. I saved a lot of money by catching 2 of the online sellers on their sale weeks. The Petsmart in my area has had some great goldfish, but you need to be persistent and go every delivery day until you find what you're looking for, and I just don't have the free time. Now I have one Petsmart fish (who has grown so much I can't believe it - I had thought my fish were cursed because they stayed pretty skinny), and one fish each from Dandy Orandas, RainGarden and GoldfishNet. I obviously like variety in my fish - they're all different breeds, too. :D

Thanks Kate for all the answers to my questions above. I couldn't remark back on them for the computer said it already had to many quotes on that particular post/page. :(

Anyway,...........I'm glad to hear that those fish aren't in those small display tanks all the time. Also nice to know they have an air stone in each tank. (I did not notice that before) I need to go find your new thread of your babies. Can't wait to see who you picked.

Beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing! :D