Still having issues with ranchu....

kiwikacey

• Admin

Yes, I moved the spray bar to better oxygenate the water, and things seem to be more stabilized now. Just hoping the pump comes soon...it was on backorder until Friday, but they never told me! Anyway, how long does it take to see results from the silver, if there are any?

I want to bump up the silver but I want to make sure your PH is nice and stable before we do.... If the Bumping up for a week or two doesnt help then its not going to...

How is the rest of the crew :)

Ok - sounds good. The rest of the crew is fine, no changes in them, either. I cleaned one of the canisters recently and will probably do the other one next week. I've been debating getting a UV sterilizer for a while now....thoughts? Thanks, as always, for your help!

I had one years ago, they are great at killing algae and keeping ick at bay. But personally I wouldnt get one. Thats just me.

So if the Ph is stable hun. Lets go two drops per gallon for two weeks :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I moved the spray bar to better oxygenate the water, and things seem to be more stabilized now. Just hoping the pump comes soon...it was on backorder until Friday, but they never told me! Anyway, how long does it take to see results from the silver, if there are any?

I want to bump up the silver but I want to make sure your PH is nice and stable before we do.... If the Bumping up for a week or two doesnt help then its not going to...

Ok - sounds good. The rest of the crew is fine, no changes in them, either. I cleaned one of the canisters recently and will probably do the other one next week. I've been debating getting a UV sterilizer for a while now....thoughts? Thanks, as always, for your help!

I had one years ago, they are great at killing algae and keeping ick at bay. But personally I wouldnt get one. Thats just me.

OK - will do! If I notice any changes, I will let you know. Hopefully the air pump will get here....I have the tubing and the stone all set up...what do they expect me to do, blow the air bubbles myself?!? :krazy:

• Admin

OK - will do! If I notice any changes, I will let you know. Hopefully the air pump will get here....I have the tubing and the stone all set up...what do they expect me to do, blow the air bubbles myself?!? :krazy:

I tried that once doesnt work very well :rofl

:thumbs:

Finally got the airpump and everyone is doing well - the fish seem relieved to have their bubbles back :) Only one thing is still odd - Speckle, my calico ryukin, goes on and off being floaty, and she's been "on" for the past few weeks. Have been giving peas and fasting as much as I can, but nothing seems to make a difference in the floatiness. She's still hungry and gets excited about food, but looks uncomfortable. This time, though, it almost looks/feels like her actual body cavity is expanding. Her ribs are "pushing" out to either side, giving her belly a "flat" appearance instead of a round one. She's not dropsying, though.

She was my first fish and she's had all host of problems, but she's managed to beat them all! I'm just stumped by this. Is it normal for SBD fish to experience bodily changes like that?

Dorito is still acting the same. Still eating and excited for food but her swimming isn't getting any better.

• Admin

Finally got the airpump and everyone is doing well - the fish seem relieved to have their bubbles back :) Only one thing is still odd - Speckle, my calico ryukin, goes on and off being floaty, and she's been "on" for the past few weeks. Have been giving peas and fasting as much as I can, but nothing seems to make a difference in the floatiness. She's still hungry and gets excited about food, but looks uncomfortable. This time, though, it almost looks/feels like her actual body cavity is expanding. Her ribs are "pushing" out to either side, giving her belly a "flat" appearance instead of a round one. She's not dropsying, though.

She was my first fish and she's had all host of problems, but she's managed to beat them all! I'm just stumped by this. Is it normal for SBD fish to experience bodily changes like that?

Dorito is still acting the same. Still eating and excited for food but her swimming isn't getting any better.

Can you give me a video please

• Supporter

She seems to be floating on only one side.

i MUST share my thoughts on this video. from my previous experience and confirmed via post-mortem, i believe that your fish is experiencing detached swim bladder. there seems to be nothing more which is wrong with it. unless we can treat for severe constipation and receive favourable results within 2-7 days, my suspicion is that this fish will not improve because it has developed a disability rather than an infection that requires treatment.

things like this can happen via infection which has been treated and resolved. or via injury.

to treat for severe constipation, you can insert an epsom granule or two into a half pea and feed your fish. the epsom needs to be consumed. if the fish is having difficulty consuming food, then we need to treat the water. to do this, i would prefer that your fish be removed to a hospital tank. you can continue to use the silver during the epsom treatment if you wish.

She seems to be floating on only one side.

i MUST share my thoughts on this video. from my previous experience and confirmed via post-mortem, i believe that your fish is experiencing detached swim bladder. there seems to be nothing more which is wrong with it. unless we can treat for severe constipation and receive favourable results within 2-7 days, my suspicion is that this fish will not improve because it has developed a disability rather than an infection that requires treatment.

things like this can happen via infection which has been treated and resolved. or via injury.

to treat for severe constipation, you can insert an epsom granule or two into a half pea and feed your fish. the epsom needs to be consumed. if the fish is having difficulty consuming food, then we need to treat the water. to do this, i would prefer that your fish be removed to a hospital tank. you can continue to use the silver during the epsom treatment if you wish.

Thank you for the reply - I had a feeling this was going to happen to her, eventually :( She's been on and off SBD for a year or so now, and I've treated for every bacterial infection I can think of (all after asking you wonderful people, first!) she's a 2 year old (at least) female and has never laid eggs. I'll try the epsom treatment - she can still eat and enjoys doing so. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll be back, and will make another thread, if I think her quality of life is suffering.

As for Dorito...still no improvement. She's not getting worse, but not getting better either.

I'm sorry to interfere, but does the Ry start sucking in air after being fed?

Yes, sometimes. She doesn't do it reliably, but now that she's upside down most of the time I think she does it more as a reflex?

• Supporter

you may as well run Dorito through the same treatment too, since the symptoms are similar.

do you have any suspicions as to why these two fish are suffering swim bladder problems?

did your tank experience any of the following for long periods of time?

infections?

high nitrates?

high nitrites?

lack of maintenance?

it just strikes me as strange since two fish are having similar issues.

• Admin

you may as well run Dorito through the same treatment too, since the symptoms are similar.

do you have any suspicions as to why these two fish are suffering swim bladder problems?

did your tank experience any of the following for long periods of time?

infections?

high nitrates?

high nitrites?

lack of maintenance?

it just strikes me as strange since two fish are having similar issues.

That was starting to become my thought too hun..... Something is triggering this....

Kiwi,

Can you (if you did Im sorry ) take a video of your tank and set up... slowly if you can....

Lets also visit your water qualities... tank and tap.... I think we might need to just go through this step by step to see what is doing this. :)

I'm sorry to interfere, but does the Ry start sucking in air after being fed?

Yes, sometimes. She doesn't do it reliably, but now that she's upside down most of the time I think she does it more as a reflex?

It is really saddening to read about your problems, especially since ive had them too obviously.

I didnt realise the Ry had this problem for a long time, being new to the forum is limiting. I am glad Helen chimed in.

I wish you and your fish the best and i hope there is still something you can do to help them.

Hi guys,

I am at school right now but will do some serious testing once I get home tonight. The fish are due for a WC tomorrow morning. I usually do 2 per week.

Helen: Speckle was my very first fish, and I had no idea what I was doing with her...she was housed in an unfiltered, 10g tank for a few weeks and got septicemia before I figured out how to take care of goldfish and moved her into a properly sized tank. Unfortunately, she had to go through the whole cycling process....and I was always afraid that she wouldn't be as healthy as the others due to that. I think that, for the most part, I sort of expected this to happen with Speckle at some point. She's been through a lot of less-than-ideal water conditions in her lifetime!

Dorito, on the other hand, utterly stumps me. I got her from ECR in December of last year, and for a few months she was totally normal. Then it seemed like her swim bladder gradually started to have problems, and eventually she got to the point that she's now at. She's never had anything less than ideal water conditions...I don't think she's ever even experienced a pH crash. She's the one I have no idea what to do with!

Speckle ate her epsom pea this morning. I will see if it has started to help when I get home tonight.

If it seems like the best option, I do have clove oil, though this would be a sad solution for me. I don't want Speckle to be in pain, though.

There is a chance I could get injectable baytril, if this would be good?

• Supporter

i really don't see injectable baytril will make a difference, in my honest opinion.. the fish have been treated for infections in the past.. as you mentioned.

just in point form, what medicines have they received in the last 12 months? and how long was the treatment period? and when? i request information relating to only these two fish.

i really don't see injectable baytril will make a difference, in my honest opinion.. the fish have been treated for infections in the past.. as you mentioned.

just in point form, what medicines have they received in the last 12 months? and how long was the treatment period? and when? i request information relating to only these two fish.

Dorito: MetroMeds in July for 1 week (too short a treatment period) then in August for 2 full weeks, with 2 full weeks of JumpStart after.

Speckle: MetroMeds, probably in February (I've lost track! but she's had issues) for a full 2 week course, and then again closer to summer (maybe May? April?) because she was dropsying - again a full 2-week course of MMs

The tank was also treated for flukes last December (2013) over the course of a month, as described in the Prazi thread on here, then in August for about a month and a half (following the "heavy" infestation guideline here).

• Supporter

do you have any MM's left? i am thinking instead of silver, to just do a 2 week course of MM's?

also, have you always had a nitrAtes issue around 40ppm+?

what is the nitrAtes reading from the water source?

do you have any MM's left? i am thinking instead of silver, to just do a 2 week course of MM's?

also, have you always had a nitrAtes issue around 40ppm+?

what is the nitrAtes reading from the water source?

I do - would I just feed to all the fish in the tank? Because I only have a QT of 10g...and I don't want to put both of them in there :( Also, I'll be gone for a few days next week for the holiday. No way I can change that around.

Will MMs, themselves, mess up the tank cycle?

& with regards to the nitrAtes - they are usually closer to 10ppm after a WC. They approach 40 when I am coming up on a WC but yes, this has always been the case...tap reading is 0ppm.

Speckle has still not gotten better, and is listing in the corner of the tank. Still floating upside down, on the same side. As sad as I am, I can't bear for her to live like this...I want to make some kind of ultimatum and at this point it's looking like Sunday. I leave for 5 days on Monday.

Do I start the MMs, or not? What do I do?

I want to give an update. I may be euthanizing Speckle tonight, if you all think this is something past saving. I just went over to the tank to see how she was doing and lightly feel her abdomen...it is nothing but squishy, and looks swollen :( she looks tired and sore, though she's not dropsying. I know I've seen on here that squishy abdomen is bad....any thoughts? I'll be in all night. I have clove oil.

• Supporter

i'm sorry, hun. if you feel it's in her best interest, then you have my support. i am not one to allow illness for too long after exhausting all the usual avenues to repair health with no improvements. hugs to you :(

So, Dorito is still the same, but tonight I euthanized Speckle. She went peacefully in a bath of clove oil and tank water...I was going to wait, but after I fed her a pea I watched her and she could barely even chew it. The poor fish must have been starving...she was so hungry, but couldn't chew. Her lower abdomen is all black and blue now that she's gone...I think I made the right decision, though I don't know what was wrong with her. She'll leave a big gap in my heart.

Thank you, especially, Helen - your video on euthanasia made things much easier for me.

I'll keep everyone updated on Dorito, and hopefully won't have to go this route again.

RIP, Speckle... :heart

• Supporter
kiwikacey, on 20 Nov 2014 - 3:46 PM, said:

So, Dorito is still the same, but tonight I euthanized Speckle. She went peacefully in a bath of clove oil and tank water...I was going to wait, but after I fed her a pea I watched her and she could barely even chew it. The poor fish must have been starving...she was so hungry, but couldn't chew. Her lower abdomen is all black and blue now that she's gone...I think I made the right decision, though I don't know what was wrong with her. She'll leave a big gap in my heart.

Thank you, especially, Helen - your video on euthanasia made things much easier for me.

I'll keep everyone updated on Dorito, and hopefully won't have to go this route again.

RIP, Speckle... :heart

:hug