Still having issues with ranchu....

kiwikacey

Hi everyone. This is the third post I've made, now, concerning Dorito, my ranchu. She's not been well for a long time, and it seems like I've pretty much tried everything I can think of. I don't know what else to do. I'm posting again because she's not better and also because she's now started to get sores on her belly from bottom sitting...:(

Here's a background: I got Dorito from ECR back in December (I think) of last year. She was awesome, adjusted well to the tank, got along with the other fish, and had no swimming issues for about 3 months or so. Then, she started to look like she was losing her balance, and eventually became a habitual bottom-sitter. She's been like this at least since March-April of this year. I treated for flukes, multiple times. I gave her 0.3% salt baths, I treated her with MMs twice, for a full course. I talked with Cynthia to see if she could think of anything that might be wrong. Nothing helped. Dorito still eats readily, hasn't lost any weight...she just looks so sad and is always in the corner at the bottom of the tank. It's almost as if she's too heavy to swim - when she tries to move upward, she can't. Her head weighs her back down. Here are my test results:

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10-20
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8-8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.6++

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

• * Water temperature? 74˚F

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons, 1.5 years

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim 2217 canisters x2

* How often do you change the water and how much? 70-75%, twice weekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago, 70%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6, 3 under 4", one 4", 2 around 6"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime, Vita Chem Freshwater vitamins, Buff it Up
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3x per day, a variety: bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, peas, repashy soilent green, NLS thera A, NLS goldfish
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi treatment, spring 2014; "heavy" prazi treatment July-August 2014 (according to rules found here in the masterpost), MMs 2x over the summer, salt baths over the past 2 weeks, every few days
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? See description
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? See description

Really hoping you guys can help. I feel so sad looking at her on the bottom of the tank. But...she still eats. Sometimes, lately, she's been listing to one side...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( Poor baby's swim bladder looks like it's really bothering her. I wouldn't want to move around either if I lost my balance all the time like that. I hope you'll be able to ease a little of that discomfort.

Did you see any temporary improvement during any of the treatments you tried? Have you tried keeping her in a tank with a more shallow water depth? I assume treatments were done in a QT which was more shallow?

Hi everyone - getting the video of me bringing her to the surface in a tiny bit. Figured I would answer the other questions in the meantime.

No improvement was seen during the other treatments. I kept her for 3 weeks-1 month in my QT which is a 10 gallon so yes...much shallower. She stayed in another corner of that tank and didn't move much.

I forgot to add - she doesn't move her tail like my other ranchu. As in: she seems like she can't move her tail normally, like he does. All she can manage is jerks, and it's more like her body is moving...while he can move the entirety of his tail, including the tip of it.

I just want her to feel better! Poor Dorito :( Thanks for all your help so far

• Admin

We think his swim bladder is shot hun... I would like you if you want, alot of ppl dont believe in it and it wont hurt my feelings if you say no....

But I would like you to treat with Silver in the tank....

A bottle of Amino Acid and Botanical Supply Colloidal Silver, 1100 PPM, 2 Ounce

Now if you want to do this you will add one drop per gallon. It will not mess up your cycle and it wont harm anything. We add it everyday for up to a month. When doing a water change you want to make sure you add your prime, let the tank cycle for about a min or so. Then you can add it back in.

Like I said if you dont want to no big deal. I have used it many times and each time it has helped me. Now I dont know if the swim bladder had or has and infection but if it did this would help :)

We think his swim bladder is shot hun... I would like you if you want, alot of ppl dont believe in it and it wont hurt my feelings if you say no....

Now if you want to do this you will add one drop per gallon. It will not mess up your cycle and it wont harm anything. We add it everyday for up to a month. When doing a water change you want to make sure you add your prime, let the tank cycle for about a min or so. Then you can add it back in.

Like I said if you dont want to no big deal. I have used it many times and each time it has helped me. Now I dont know if the swim bladder had or has and infection but if it did this would help :)

Thanks for the reply...I had a feeling this might be the case, and I want to do everything in my power to at least try and make her feel better. The silver won't affect my other fish in any negative way, will it? I think I will go ahead and buy it.

So for my 75g tank...that would be 75 drops per day, correct?

Thanks again. You have all been so helpful, I can't thank you enough, even if Dorito doesn't feel completely better. <3

• Admin

Thanks for the reply...I had a feeling this might be the case, and I want to do everything in my power to at least try and make her feel better. The silver won't affect my other fish in any negative way, will it? I think I will go ahead and buy it.

So for my 75g tank...that would be 75 drops per day, correct?

Thanks again. You have all been so helpful, I can't thank you enough, even if Dorito doesn't feel completely better. <3

It wont hurt them at all. In fact if any of them arent feeling good this may help them too.....:) and it wont hurt the filter nor cycle :)

Haven't gotten the silver in the mail yet, so I haven't been able to add it. She's doing the same as she has been - pretty used to that now! I really hope the silver helps

• Admin

Haven't gotten the silver in the mail yet, so I haven't been able to add it. She's doing the same as she has been - pretty used to that now! I really hope the silver helps

When should it get there hun?

• Admin

It's supposed to be delivered at the beginning of next week. I have amazon prime, but unfortunately it wasn't eligible :(

Wish I had an unopened one for you :)

yeah its never Prime available... :(

It's supposed to be delivered at the beginning of next week. I have amazon prime, but unfortunately it wasn't eligible :(

Aww, thanks! I think she should be fine :) They get a WC tomorrow and as soon as the silver comes, I will add it!

• Admin

Aww, thanks! I think she should be fine :) They get a WC tomorrow and as soon as the silver comes, I will add it!

:thumbup2:

Hi everyone! I got the silver yesterday very late, so I have just added it today. will let you know how things progress. Hopefully it will help!

• Supporter

awesome :)

can you take a short video of your fish before you commence treatment? take it from the front of the tank and then overhead so we can see your fish topview as well? you don't have to post it right away.. this request is more for a reference point in order to refer back to during treatment.

• Admin

I'm interested in this treatment, so I'm watching. Healing vibes!

It may not work but its a good shot... works great on bacterial problems... so lets see,,, :)

Awesome lets see if this will help.... :)

you got the 1100ppm one right ? and one drop per gallon right?

:)

Yup! And I'll take the video & post it today :) Fingers crossed that I get some good results!