Metro Meds Replacement? :O

Mikey

NLS has created a new food called Hex-Shield which as I have been reading has the active ingrident Metronidole. Could these be a replacement to metro meds? They also have a medicated food called Ick-Shield as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LOF33N6?pc_redir=1410356892&robot_redir=1

Edited by Mikey

• Supporter

no, not unless they have the other medicines in it..

there has been medicated food other than MetroMeds on the market for ages.. one example, ken's fish: http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-medication/medicated-food.html

this is actually a good site with good pricing for other products too. also, he sells Repashy.

• Supporter

provided users know the difference between HITH and hole in the wen.

HITH- microscopic parasites.. the metronidazole will treat only the secondary infection.. leaving the parasites behind to re-offend.

Hole in the wen - the metronidazole may help at early stages only. i doubt that the concentration of metronidazole is any feed will be able to treat HITH or Hole in the Wen effectively. ie, you will need to feed a heck of a lot of this product for it to fight such a fast moving parasite/bacteria (whichever of the two is present). and we all know how much a sick fish won't eat. i think it will be great for fish displaying dropsy.

if metronidazole is the only medicine in Hex-Shield, then it's just another product of many similar products, just some people are getting overly excited due to a fresh product on the market from a trusted, well known manufacturer with a good marketing strategy.

My issue with the Hex Shield (which does have Metronidazole) and some others on the market, is the ambiguity of the directions. They don't give you an exact amount to feed. Are we supposed to assume 0.1% body weight like with Metro meds? Wouldn't that depend on the concentration of medicine in the food?

As Helen Said, Hex Shield is not a "replacement" for Metro Meds because it doesn't have the other 2 medicines (Oxytetracycline and Romet B) in it that are in Metro Meds.