Help! BEEFCAKE is in trouble!

DieselPlower

OK need some help here. I will make a quick post and then come back with more info shortly. Beefcake is my favorite fish. A fantail. 230 grams. He has red streaks throughout his body. He was fine when I went to be and this morning he was pinned to the bottom of the tank upside down. When he noticed me he perked up and righted himself and fought to stay upright but it was a lot of work for him. I got home from work and same deal. He is in a 125 gallon tank with 5 other goldfish. I have 2 Aqueon 55/75 filters on it and a Fluval fx5 which isn't cycled yet in my opinion. Ammonia .25 tap 0. Nitrite 0 tap 0. Nitrate about 5 tap 0. PH about 7.2 I have not changed the water for 2 weeks when I did 90%. I am doing another 90% now. I feed them Hikari Lionhead, New Life Spectrum, and Hikari fancy goldfish all mixed together. A few weeks ago I gave them 3 treatments of Kordon Rid-Ich Plus because I thought a couple fish had ich and then I stopped because only 2 fish had small white dots on their gill plates and I thought maybe it was breeding starts. I would say Beefcake is also "flashing". He squirms all over real fast and rubs himself on things every once in a while. At the moment he is actually looking mostly ok from across the room but he is filpping over upside down but can easily right himself. Please help me save my favorite fish! I do have Metromeds and more of the Ich treatment.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are gonna want you to fill this out :)

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

• Supporter

^that will be handy.. although you have answered quite a few questions in your initial post. i request a video of beefcakes current behaviour.

i am wondering if you should try removing beefcake to a smaller tank and making daily waterchanges? until things get back to normal. is beefcake a confirmed male? if so, it could be signs of high nitrates as Lisa mentioned, or constipation. i have experienced pinned to the bottom upside down from constipation with a few of my fish in the past. it could also be a mild infection starting which is affecting the swim bladder function.

streaks in the fins can be from stress. stress caused by trying to right himself or anything that may be affecting him. i am not sure for the product Kordon Rich-Ich or it's active constituents and if they pose harm to fish. we usually combat Ich with increased heat to 82F and salt at 0.3% with the addition of increased waterchanges. nothing more, so Ich medicines i am inexperienced with.

at first, treat for constipation. if it's not resolving the issue within 24-48 hours or if symptoms worsen during this time, i would consider antibiotics. good luck & keep us updated.

Rid-ich is a really harsh treatment. It's Formalin and Malachite Green. Both are not only not necessary for treating ich, but are harsh chemicals that I wouldn't even let my fish near anymore. :( Like Helen said, I would have salted instead. It is safer and broader than using a potentially harmful poisonous treatment like that.

Have the indoor fish grown significantly this year? I also suspect high nitrates, especially if they have. I know the tank's big, but your fish have always been as well.

I hope Beefcake will get better, Jason.

A pic and a video might be helpful, Jason. By any chance did you test nitrates before either of those 90% WCs? :idont

We all know Beefcake. No need to explain. :hug

Yeah last time nitrate was about 40 and this time it's 5. That's before the changes. Give me a little time I'll get the pics.

They are gonna want you to fill this out :)

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

.25ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

7.2. Hardness is around 300. very hard

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

API master

* Water temperature?

room temp 67 degrees

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

125 gallons 6 months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

2 Aqueon 55/75 one Fluval fx5

* How often do you change the water and how much?

90% every 2 weeks

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

2 weeks 90%

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

1 280 gram oranda, 1 230 gram fantail, 3 fish maybe 100 grams each tops

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

none, well water

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

2 times a day hikari lionhead and new life spectrum

* Any new fish added to the tank?

2 tamasabas from ChelseaM

* Any medications added to the tank?

Rid-Ich Plus 3 weeks ago

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

None other than above

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Red streaks throughout body

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

FLoating upside down at the bottom. Can right himself but he gets tired. Flashing infrequently

I'd go for the 150 gph. I know he's big but I think for a fish that's upside down the less current the better.

Agreed I already switched :)

Rid-ich is a really harsh treatment. It's Formalin and Malachite Green. Both are not only not necessary for treating ich, but are harsh chemicals that I wouldn't even let my fish near anymore. :( Like Helen said, I would have salted instead. It is safer and broader than using a potentially harmful poisonous treatment like that.

Have the indoor fish grown significantly this year? I also suspect high nitrates, especially if they have. I know the tank's big, but your fish have always been as well.

I hope Beefcake will get better, Jason.

[/quote

The orandas growth rate has been much faster than beefcakes, although he has grown some too.

SOmeone asked if I knew beefcake was a boy and yes I know because he is my small fishes baby daddy... I saw him doing his thing after mom laid the eggs.

• Supporter

can you add some Epsom and Prazi to the water, please? Epsom at 1/4 teaspoon (dissolved) for every 10 gallons. replenish the Epsom with every water change as well as the Prazi.

if you're doing daily water changes:

Epsom will need to be in there every day for 5-8 days.

Prazi will need to be in there every day for 4 consecutive days.. following 3 consecutive days of no prazi.. then the routine continues. 4 days on, 3 days off etc...

can you add some Epsom and Prazi to the water, please? Epsom at 1/4 teaspoon (dissolved) for every 10 gallons. replenish the Epsom with every water change as well as the Prazi.

Prazi will need to be in there every day for 4 consecutive days.. following 3 consecutive days of no prazi.. then the routine continues. 4 days on, 3 days off etc...

Yes I can do that however I don't have either of those items so I will have to get them.

I have the regular canning salt. Is that the same?

Yes I can do that however I don't have either of those items so I will have to get them.

I have the regular canning salt. Is that the same?

epsom salt is different than regular table (canning salt). It is magnesium sulfate. You want to make sure that's all it is and has no other ingredients in it.