Sign in to follow this  
Ruby

Silly crowned Pearlscale question

So I'm getting my big BIG tank at the end of the month :nana and decided to order the fish I wanted online because the LFS here where I am (North East Scotland) really don't have much goldfish beyond fantails, commons and comets. I ordered standard non-show/breed quality fish online so didn't get the option to pick them myself, just colour and breed. Aaaaanyway to cut a rambling story short I had ordered 1 regular red and white Pearlscale, instead I got a calico CROWNED pearscale. Now this little ball is the cutest thing ever and I am not sending her back (she is surprisingly a very fast swimmer, particularly when there is food). However the reason I didn't initially go for a crowned Pearscale is because the bump on their head freaks me out a little.

So my silly question : Is that bump filled with fluid or hard tissue like the wen of an Oranda and what are the chances of it popping?! :sorry::

I apologise if this question has been asked before, I did try an internet search but it's either all vague information or I'm brain dead (which is a possibility). Instead of worrying about it I thought I'd just ask here and get some clarification. She is 2-3 inches and I'm still deciding on a name. The bump on her head is definitely there but not particularly big, just looks like a little bubble. Any advice from those who have crowned pearlscales would be much appreciated. :thanks

Congrats!!! Pictures! :D

And no, it is not fluid, it is the same as a wen just a different shape :)

Phew! I was worried it was fluid like bubble-eye goldfish have. At least I won't have to worry too much about it popping then :P . I'll try to get some pictures if I can, she's in the QT tub and pretty fast though. I honestly thought Pearlscales were pretty slow swimmers but she's super fast!

We cannot answer any further questions without pictures :nana

:teehee kidding!!! I just want to see your quick little pearlie :D

Congrats on your new pearlie! :D

My boyfriend would side with you on the crown thing, he's scared of wens! :lol

We've had the opposite situation which has really pleased/relieved him, our baby 'oranda' is turning out to be a fantail, so no wens to frighten him! Although there will be an oranda one day, so he's just going to have to get over it :rofl

Good luck with her/him :) and I agree with Aubrey, we need pics!!

Not a silly question! I've actually wondered the same thing. :teehee

Congrats! I'm glad you like this fish even more than what you were expecting. Buuuutttt.... pictures pplleeease! :D

It's been forever since I have posted an image so please forgive me if I do this wrong! I'll try posting the pic again if it doesn't work.

12743452-0be1-4915-b885-c10256b37092_zps

I took them out of the QT tub to give them a once over, make sure they're all healthy - so far so good! I ended up giving her (him?) the name Rambo because she's very active and almost aggresive with the other fish, certainly when it comes to food :Scoff: .

Edited by Ruby

Congrats she's a beaut! :D

Love her :heart

I have a crowned pearscale with his crown coming in nicely with some height on top. It's not one big solid crown but split into two, side by side. I think the "show quality" prefer crowned pearlscales to be one big single crown. (I could be wrong with this information but that's what I think ??) And the crown can get damaged and "deflate". I've seen photo's of their crown looking like that. It reminds me of a poor deflated balloon. :( They are still beautiful fish though. They look like they are wearing a hat now. I would suggest to "baby proof" your aquarium for this reason. Not have any sharp objects in your tank. (rocks, substrate, rough sharp plants, pointy objects in ornaments) Better to be safe than not. I'm not sure if the crown is filled with fluid but I don't think it's exactly like a wen either.

I'm sure others will continue to chime in. :)

Rambo only has 1 bump, so far anyway, hopefully it won't get big enough to be a problem. The tank is definately going to be triple babyproofed, I tend to not go for much decoration anyway, just some smooth rocks and some fake plants. I did check my fake plants for any sharp edges or pointy bits - they seem fine and pretty soft. I guess I'm just worried that the bump is very delicate and that the slightest touch will damage it. I had my fish Scooter get stuck behind a filter once (he likes to shove himself into any small space he can find, I should have called him Houdini). He wasn't hurt and I rearranged everything so it wouldn't happen again, but it does worry me because I know that you can't plan for everything and sometimes stuff just happens. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I'm worrying over nothing :(

Rambo is beautiful. Congrats!

MK aka pearlsckaleperfect, has a pearlie that looks like she is wearing a beret :wub:

cutest pearlie ever :nana

I don't think she's perfect per standards, but I'd love to have her :heart

MK aka pearlsckaleperfect, has a pearlie that looks like she is wearing a beret :wub:

cutest pearlie ever :nana

I don't think she's perfect per standards, but I'd love to have her :heart

I completely agree. I've seen so many cute and beautiful fish that aren't perfect per standards but since I'm not breeding or showing I honestly don't care. The 4 goldfish that I have already I bought from a local fish shop. They were supposed to be fantails but are (as near as we can guess) a wakin/fantail cross, a ryukin/fantail cross, a oranda/fantail cross and the fourth is either a lionhead or a lionhead/ranchu cross. None of them would even remotely be considered 'quality' fish but they have such wonderful personalities and are such a joy. I wouldn't trade them for any expensive show quality fish in the world.

I have a crowned pearscale with his crown coming in nicely with some height on top. It's not one big solid crown but split into two, side by side. I think the "show quality" prefer crowned pearlscales to be one big single crown. (I could be wrong with this information but that's what I think ??) And the crown can get damaged and "deflate". I've seen photo's of their crown looking like that. It reminds me of a poor deflated balloon. :( They are still beautiful fish though. They look like they are wearing a hat now. I would suggest to "baby proof" your aquarium for this reason. Not have any sharp objects in your tank. (rocks, substrate, rough sharp plants, pointy objects in ornaments) Better to be safe than not. I'm not sure if the crown is filled with fluid but I don't think it's exactly like a wen either.

I'm sure others will continue to chime in. :)

I need to correct an error of what I said. My pearlscale's crown is not split into two, side by side. It's coming in as one up front but behind that you can see like another crown that is smaller. :(

Rambo only has 1 bump, so far anyway, hopefully it won't get big enough to be a problem. The tank is definately going to be triple babyproofed, I tend to not go for much decoration anyway, just some smooth rocks and some fake plants. I did check my fake plants for any sharp edges or pointy bits - they seem fine and pretty soft. I guess I'm just worried that the bump is very delicate and that the slightest touch will damage it. I had my fish Scooter get stuck behind a filter once (he likes to shove himself into any small space he can find, I should have called him Houdini). He wasn't hurt and I rearranged everything so it wouldn't happen again, but it does worry me because I know that you can't plan for everything and sometimes stuff just happens. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I'm worrying over nothing :(

I'm glad Scooter was okay after getting stuck behind a filter.

Another safety precaution for all fish keepers that own a siphon; is to have some kind of netting rubber banded to the end of that tube that takes the water out. It can injure a fish or wen if they get curious and get too close to it. Some smaller fish can even get sucked up into it even. (I don't know if you have a siphon that is netted already but if not you can use netting from a bag of onions/oranges or I even use the little netting from a small bag of stones that you buy from Petsmart. Just cut it a little bit bigger than the siphon hole and secure it with a rubberband.)