Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnfriend

frozen brine shrimp for growth?

Can you make sure the video is available to the public or whatever it is that will allow us to see it?

Yeah sorry about that....It should work now...

Thank you for that video. She is certainly a cutie! I can see that she ate the whole pellet. No problem there. During the next meal (sometime tomorrow morning or evening) can you video her the whole time so that we can catch her spitting out food? Can you get a closer shot of her? It would help to have a closer view.

Helen asked if you've ever treated your fish with Prazi for flukes. Have you? I think the reason Helen asked is because if your fish has some mouth irritation and you've not treated for flukes, it may be related.

To me, she looks plenty big enough to eat whole frozen bloodworms by herself. :) The fry I was feeding them to look like they would be about 1/2-2/3 her size, and they managed whole ones just fine. They were young enough to not have colored up yet.

Also, I would go ahead and take out all of the hollow ornaments in that tank right away. Not only are they not necessary, but they trap stagnant water as well as waste. This creates a more toxic environment for the fish. So please take out the castle and all other hollow ornaments. :(

Oh no! I hope she isn't sick! I will get a better video of her eating tomorrow...

She doesn't look sick, though the eating behavior you describe is a bit suspicious. I wouldn't put her in the "sick" category, but maybe in the "let's observe" category. Most goldfish have some level of flukes in their system. When the fluke load gets to be too much then treatment is necessary. When I first got my fish, the fluke load became obvious (they got sick). I didn't know about flukes back then, but I learned on koko's how to treat them. I now do a preventative treatment every 4-5 months.

Have you every treated for flukes?

Oh, I see....Will I catch Flukes from her? No, I haven't treated for Flukes before. Here's a long video of her eating a bloodworm breakfast (since it is breakfast, she has to be hungry). Sorry it is so long, you can skip the middle if you want, but that's how long she chews on things. The last clip at the end is her taking one and spitting it out - what she normally seems to do after eating the first few morsels. Yes, there was another goldfish in there, he was only there for a few hours, beat her up, and I gave him back to the store. I really feel more comfortable having only one goldfish in a 29 gallon tank anyway....the extent of her injuries were some missing scales and ripped fins, which are almost completely healed a week later. I feel lucky that no secondary infection developed! But I don't think that would be affecting her eating....But I don't know...

http://youtu.be/-jr6A5_cq6Q

That's a good video. She looks fine to me. I'm going to check with moderators about it. I think they'll suggest you start a thread in the Disease Diagnosis forum to guide you on the fluke treatment. Stay tuned...

That's a good video. She looks fine to me. I'm going to check with moderators about it. I think they'll suggest you start a thread in the Disease Diagnosis forum to guide you on the fluke treatment. Stay tuned...

Thanks so much for your help! So should I go ahead and go out and buy some Api General Cure or something with prazi?

Oh, forgot, I'm pretty sure you won't get the fluke symptoms from your fish. I didn't.

Regarding Prazi, prazipro is good, and so is Aqua Prazi. I reported your post to the moderators. They or I will get back to you soon. Oh yes, you'll want to get pure salt also, meaning no additives at all.

Oh, forgot, I'm pretty sure you won't get the fluke symptoms from your fish. I didn't.

Regarding Prazi, prazipro is good, and so is Aqua Prazi. I reported your post to the moderators. They or I will get back to you soon. Oh yes, you'll want to get pure salt also, meaning no additives at all.

Okay, cool. I do already have a carton of aquarium salt.

The situation is this. Spitting out food could be a symptom of irritation from flukes. It could also mean the mouth is too full to chew. Goldfish don't really "get full" as we do -- feeling like we don't need more to eat. However, they "chew" with the teeth in their throats. There is a finite space in that throat (which varies a lot among individual goldfish). When that space is full (I always say "when it has a mouthful"), the fish stops eating and chews. A fish that tries to keep eating with a "mouthful" usually spits out the food.

You are absolutely right that fish normally have flukes and coexist with them. However, when a fish is physiologically stressed, those "friendly" flukes can turn on their host. This is one of the reasons we recommend prazi for all new fish, even if they aren't joining other fish. A new home can be stressful. We also feel comfortable with this recommendation because prazi is a very safe medication. I forget the exact numbers, but many times the recommended dose is still harmless.

I don't think you have a fluke problem, but why take chances, when the medication is safe? I would only use prazi and not some combination medicine. Those are only for sick fish.

The other thing to remember about Flukes is the bacterial infections they introduce into the fish's skin and gills. It is often these bacterial infections, not the Flukes themselves that make the fish sick. I would do a Prazi protocol. Better safe than sorry :D

Okay, so, I should get PraziPro? Should I change her food? The bulk of what she is eating these days are; New Life Spectrum all purpose formula, San Francisco Bay frozen blood worms, and Aqueon goldfish pellets for variety. Both pellets are about 1mm.

EDIT: Also, how do you use PraziPro? I looked up the directions online and I am a bit confused....

Edited by finnfinnfriend

The foods you listed look good. Just don't feed too much. I think I posted earlier on how much I feed my fish.

Now for the prazi/fluke treatment, please start a thread in the Disease Diagnosis forum asking for advise on doing a prazi/fluke treatment. You will need to fill out the help check list. It is like a patient in-take form. Look at some of the posts in that forum. You'll find the list. Copy, paste, and fill out for your fish.

Here is the DD forum: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/10-disease-diagnosis-treatments-microscope-videos/

Edited by LisaCGold

Okay, so, I should get PraziPro? Should I change her food? The bulk of what she is eating these days are; New Life Spectrum all purpose formula, San Francisco Bay frozen blood worms, and Aqueon goldfish pellets for variety. Both pellets are about 1mm.

EDIT: Also, how do you use PraziPro? I looked up the directions online and I am a bit confused....

Yes, get the Prazipro. We can help you dose it :)

I think your food is fine. But, moving forward, it might be good to switch the Aqueon pellets (when they run out) for a plant-based gel like Repashy Super Green or Solient Green. The New Life Spectrum/Repashy/Bloodworms diet would offer pretty comprehensive nutrition for your fish.

The foods you listed look good. Just don't feed too much. I think I posted earlier on how much I feed my fish.

Now for the prazi/fluke treatment, please start a thread in the Disease Diagnosis forum asking for advise on doing a prazi/fluke treatment. You will need to fill out the help check list. It is like a patient in-take form. Look at some of the posts in that forum. You'll find the list. Copy, paste, and fill out for your fish.

Here is the DD forum: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/10-disease-diagnosis-treatments-microscope-videos/

Okay, Thanks again! I will have to order PraziPro online, and I assume the use of it isn't urgent, but I will post a thread so I know what to do when it arrives.

Yes, get the Prazipro. We can help you dose it :)

I think your food is fine. But, moving forward, it might be good to switch the Aqueon pellets (when they run out) for a plant-based gel like Repashy Super Green or Solient Green. The New Life Spectrum/Repashy/Bloodworms diet would offer pretty comprehensive nutrition for your fish.

Thanks! So I guess it isn't necessary to give her a goldfish-specific pellet? I was going to get her the New Life Spectrum goldfish formula, but if I don't have to waste the all-purpose formula that would be nice...

I use the all-purpose NLS pellets (1mm). Repashy super green and Repashy soilent green: Yum Yum!!! So says my goldfish. Good stuff, that.

I don't give goldfish-specific pellets. But others do and maybe they'll chime in.

I think the all-purpose is fine and you should definitely use it! I use the Thera-A which is not goldfish specific.

Yay! Now I'm not sure what to do with the Aqueon stuff....She is at a really crucial growing age and I want her to end up HUGE so I want to feed her only the best right now (and in general). How long does open dry fish food stay "fresh"?

Check the container it's in. There should be an expiration date. :D

Could I pipe in here for a second?

On the subject of getting your fish to grow 'huge': A fish's growth is determined by more than just food, but environment and quality of life as well as genetics. I would, instead of feeding for growth, feed for health. A healthy fish my surprise you in growth without sacrificing lifespan (due to accumulation of fat, etc.) and leave you with a friend for a long time. Some fish will never be huge, but they can still be healthy. It's not bad to say that you want a big fish, but try your best not to focus on it and focus more on the health aspect of things. ;)

Edited by ChelseaM

I agree with Chels. I have one fish that is quite small and her growth is very slow compared to other fish. She has been on high quality foods since I got her but she is just a small fish I guess.

Oh okay....I wasn't sure if the expiration date meant if it isn't opened...

The only thing I am unsure of is the genetics ;). Everything else is more than taken care of. I only want the best for her, and I don't think there is anything wrong with hoping for a big fish :).

Edited by finnfinnfriend

Nothing wrong with hoping for a big fish. They are definitely cool. Big healthy fish even better.

I have two fish that I bought at the same time from Petco. I feed them high quality fish food and I do a huge water change each week. I do feed for health and less so for size. One of them is getting quite big, while the other is not. I even tried hand feeding the smaller one in hopes to boost his size. It is not working so far. I'm slowly resigning to the fact that this fish may never catch up and is genetically designed to be smaller (but just as cute!).

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with wanting a big fish. I got that wish when I got my first fancy goldfish, Clementine, who surprised everyone by growing over 5x her original size between July 2012 and March 2014. I rarely fed for growth with her, just to maintain her body, and most of the time where I was feeding for growth was just by increasing her intake of frozen bloodworms. It was really interesting to compare her with my other fish and see, since she was an average LFS fish and the rest had come from beautiful sources like RainGarden and Dandy Orandas. By far, that was my heartiest and happiest fish. She just grew like she was supposed to. :)