Sign in to follow this  
Whiskers

Had A Realization

As the title says, I was clicking around today and came to the realization my fish may be at the start of something.

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level (Tank): 0 - When I checked on 10/6 it was < .25ppm
* Nitrite Level (Tank): 0
* Nitrate level (Tank): 0 - When I checked on 10/6 is was < 40ppm
* Ammonia Level (Tap): 0 - Darker yellow than tank but not by much
* Nitrite Level(Tap): 0
* Nitrate level(Tap): 0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): -
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): -

Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Fresh Water Test Kit
* Water temperature? 70f, usually one or two warmer
* Tank size and how long has it been running? 20g - three months at dorm but was up for about four months at home before move. Transferred filter media, reestablished cycle, all that jazz!
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra iWhisper 10 and Tetra Whisper 20
* How often do you change the water and how much? Change water every 4/5 days and do about 75%-85%.
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Earlier today, probably closer to 90% honestly. CC could barely swim. Before that, Friday Oct 10th, about 80%
* How many fish in the tank and their size? A fantail (57g) and an oranda (37g).
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat+ usually always the 20g amount no matter how much I change during a substantial WC
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega One Sinking Pellets usually twice a day (significant pinch) and then hand feed random amounts of Hikari Lionhead
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? No
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None, knock on wood...
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Oranda has had three single "grains" on her tail for a good month and a half now that seemed to come and go. Picture showing them. Fantail will get one that comes and goes. Have started to notice the red veins now because they grossed me out. Honestly can't remember if they were always like that. Can see one on fantail here.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yawning a bit more, and fantail has done very minimal siting.

Please humor my undersized tank. Trust me, I feel the growing pains now that my fish packed on size in the last two months. Come winter break and they'll be getting an upgrade to a tub!

Edited by Whiskers

The little spots on the tail in your photo are often associated with flukes. Considered you have not treated the fish for anything yet, and they show yawning, I would go ahead and do a full course of prazi and salt with them :)

I agree with Fang. Sounds like it's time for a little salt and prazi! :)

Do you need the schedule for the full, extended Prazi course?

Do you need the schedule for the full, extended Prazi course?

Yes, I sadly don't know where to start with this. Can I try with salt first and then do Prazi if salt doesn't work? I'm not sure I can readily find Prazi here.

Prazi and salt are meant to be used in combination with each other. Prazi is your base, and salt prevents any other infections. No, it wouldn't help to skip the Prazi. Prazi is available at many LFS, so shouldn't be hard to find at all. Look for Hikari PraziPro. If you really can't find it, order it online. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

Prazi and salt are meant to be used in combination with each other. Prazi is your base, and salt prevents any other infections. No, it wouldn't help to skip the Prazi. Prazi is available at many LFS, so shouldn't be hard to find at all. Look for Hikari PraziPro. If you really can't find it, order it online. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean skip. I meant more can I start with it and see where it goes. I do have some pickling salt as was recommended here - should I wait until I obtain some Prazi to start adding it?

I'll have to see if I can take a trip tomorrow night or Sunday, I have class obligations for a grade all day tomorrow. :no:

Edit: Do you have a recommendation on which size bottle I should buy too? Seeing a few different ones online, not sure of the shelf life on them once opened?

Edited by Whiskers

Sorry, I didn't mean skip. I meant more can I start with it and see where it goes. I do have some pickling salt as was recommended here - should I wait until I obtain some Prazi to start adding it?

I'll have to see if I can take a trip tomorrow night or Sunday, I have class obligations for a grade all day tomorrow. :no:

Edit: Do you have a recommendation on which size bottle I should buy too? Seeing a few different ones online, not sure of the shelf life on them once opened?

The salt won't work by itself. If you don't use the prazi, you won't kill the flukes, which are the problem here. However, you can raise your salt levels before adding Prazi if you want, or wait until you are ready to put some focus into your fish before doing any medicating.

For the first two rounds of treatment, you want your salt to be at 0.3% and you want to double-dose your prazi because of that. Because you are using the canning salt, you'll only be adding 3/4 level teaspoon per gallon per increase. Here's a quick schedule for you to demonstrate how to get to 0.3%:

Hour 1: Put 15 level teaspoons of salt into a piece of pantyhose. Let this float in the tank until dissolved. This is 0.1% salt.

Hour 12: Repeat step 1. This is 0.2% salt.

Hour 24: Repeat step 1. This is 0.3% salt. You can now add prazi at a double dose and begin round 1.

I would just get the 4oz bottle. Prazi lasts forever. While you're at it, grab a bottle of seachem prime to replace the stress coat. Prime is not only a much better water conditioner, but could be of aid to you while you're treating due to its other magical properties. :)

Here's the link on how your rounds should go. I would suggest going for the full 6 rounds. It is up to you if you want to do 5 day or 7 day rounds. Note that the fish may show signs of bottom sitting during rounds 1 and 2, but if the sitting continues please let the mods know so that we can begin treatment for secondary issues that might happen due to the size of the fluke infestation. :(

Edited by ChelseaM

I too would recommend to get/order the 4 oz of prazi. I believe the shelf life is at least 2 years before it should expire. The date should/will be stamped on the bottle somewhere. Usually near the bottom of the bottle if not the actual bottom. This should give you plenty of prazi even do a preventative treatment down the road of say.....perhaps the start of next Summer.

I hope your fish start to look better once treatment has been started. This will be good for them. :)

Is there a good way to dissolve salt with out a panty hose? My Prazi should be here Friday (I choose fast shipping and that's what I get) but I don't have anything of the mesh sort. I do have plenty of 1 gallon jugs that have only ever been used for water though.

You can heat up some water and dissolve the salt in the water. Before you add water to the tank, the water needs to cool down.

For dissolving salt, I pour the amount in a cup, add water from the sink and stir. Pour only the water containing the dissolved salt from the cup into the tank, leaving the undissolved salt in the cup. Return to the sink, add more water, stir and add to tank ... keep doing this until it's all dissolved. It takes about 5 min and around 8 trips total, since salt won't dissolve all at once in a small volume of water (if I remember the term correctly from chem class, it reaches its saturation limit).

There are many methods for dissolving salt; that's just what I do because I don't have pantyhose. :)

And Drs. Foster & Smith or our sponsor TastyWorms have excellent deals on PraziPro. One LFS near me sells it on occasion, but it's $20 for the smallest size - but every area is different; you may be able to find it locally for a decent price. :)

Edited by *Amanda*

Prazi is finally here. I am not amused, my campus mail system retained it for extra days for some reason. I got tights from Taiwan faster than this. Salting my fish today since I just did a decent water change, and then I'll introduce Prazi in the next few days.

For dissolving salt, I pour the amount in a cup, add water from the sink and stir. Pour only the water containing the dissolved salt from the cup into the tank, leaving the undissolved salt in the cup. Return to the sink, add more water, stir and add to tank ... keep doing this until it's all dissolved. It takes about 5 min and around 8 trips total, since salt won't dissolve all at once in a small volume of water (if I remember the term correctly from chem class, it reaches its saturation limit).

There are many methods for dissolving salt; that's just what I do because I don't have pantyhose. :)

And Drs. Foster & Smith or our sponsor TastyWorms have excellent deals on PraziPro. One LFS near me sells it on occasion, but it's $20 for the smallest size - but every area is different; you may be able to find it locally for a decent price. :)

Thanks for the salt advice, using this method right now. I got my Prazi, it just took it's sweet time getting here. :no:

Alright, first dosage of salt is in. :whistle

All three salt dosages are in so I'm at .03%! However, I have a question. My airstone's bubbles are like covering the surface of my tank. Usually they never stick and pop right away but they're staying together so well they're tumbling in my filter's downpour. Is this because of the salt they're sticking around so well? I was so confused this morning because the top of my lid was wet - they're popping under the opening and spraying out!

go ahead and add the prazi please. if it's flukes, then it needs to be added as soon as possible. both treatments in the tank together will not harm the fish. and that I do not see why you need to wait in order to treat with prazi.

however, from the description of the bubbles coming from your airstones, this is typically experienced when prazipro has been added to the water... so I will assume that you have already added it.

Just starting the second round. I've seen very little clamping but my fish have also been pretty big brats because they're not happy with their reduced diet. :teehee The salt on everything is also getting annoying but oh well, everything seems to be going as planned!

Just started on round four. However, Candy Corn still has noticeable red veins and Jelly Bean's spots still persist. Yawning has ceased. Should there be more results by now, or is it not uncommon for the symptoms to still be around this long?

Edited by Whiskers

A moderator will be by soon, in the meantime: Can you post a close view of Candy Corn's red veins? Are your fish displaying any other symptoms?