QT for two new fish

I have a question on the QT process of new fish. I am currently in the middle of cycling my 40B and was thinking of getting 2 fish from Rain Garnen once my cycling process is done. Should I still QT the 2 even though there are no other fish in the tank? I have a new sterilite 26gal tub and an extra AC 70 and heater. If so for how long and should I medicate for flukes or anything else. On GF connection website it says I could use medi gold for new fish QT but meds like that for no reason scares me. Any input would be great Thanks guys :)

Your situation is a little different than the norm because you don't have any existing fish in your tank. So, you could do your quarantine in the 40 breeder without worry of endangering an existing stock or introducing the new fish to pathogens already in the main tank. However, I would still encourage you to do the QT in the tub for a few reasons:

1) You will need less meds (salt, Prazi, etc.) for the tub.

2) Water changes will be less work.

3) You will have a "better" chance of not introducing pathogens such as Flukes into the main tank.

If you buy, them from Raingarden, check with Steve about his recommendations for quarantine and what his warranty policy entails. But, if it was me, I would QT them in the tub for 2 weeks in 0.3% salt to kill any ciliated protozoans. Next, I would reduce the salt to 0.1% and do two 7-day rounds of Prazi to control Flukes. Then, I would put them in the main tank and do two more rounds of Prazi. We can help you with dosing both the salt and the Prazi. Much of this information is provided in the link that Mikey posted above :)

Your situation is a little different than the norm because you don't have any existing fish in your tank. So, you could do your quarantine in the 40 breeder without worry of endangering an existing stock or introducing the new fish to pathogens already in the main tank. However, I would still encourage you to do the QT in the tub for a few reasons:

1) You will need less meds (salt, Prazi, etc.) for the tub.

2) Water changes will be less work.

3) You will have a "better" chance of not introducing pathogens such as Flukes into the main tank.

If you buy, them from Raingarden, check with Steve about his recommendations for quarantine and what his warranty policy entails. But, if it was me, I would QT them in the tub for 2 weeks in 0.3% salt to kill any ciliated protozoans. Next, I would reduce the salt to 0.1% and do two 7-day rounds of Prazi to control Flukes. Then, I would put them in the main tank and do two more rounds of Prazi. We can help you with dosing both the salt and the Prazi. Much of this information is provided in the link that Mikey posted above :)

Thank you so much!

Thanks Mikey, I did read her QT instructions before just was unsure if it was mainly for sick fish OR brand new ones.

Now I know lol thanks again :)