baby goldfish and pellets

finnfinnfriend

Hello! I got a new baby goldfish, who is about an inch and a half including her tail. I want to feed her pellets rather than flakes, and I got her the smallest goldfish pellets I could find, but it takes her like two minutes to chew one up! And sometimes, but not every time, she spits them out. Will she be okay? Will it hurt her to have to chew for that long? They are sinking pellets. I also feed her frozen foods in case you were curious. Thanks!

Edited by finnfinnfriend

What kind of pellets are they, do you know the mm size? New Life Spectrum makes some great pellets that are really small in size, the 1 mm size is typically fed to goldfish, so they are easier to digest. They even come as small as 0.5 mm! It's called Thera A. Just in case you were on the market for getting more pellets, I'd definitely check those out. :)

Otherwise, you can crush or cut the pellets, or soak them slightly before feeding, so they are softer. You can also try feeding smaller portions at a time. I remember when my fish were small I'd feed each one 2 pellets at a time, let them chew, and come back. It was a tedious process, but worth it! Nowadays they just vacuum their pellets and swallow them in a matter of seconds. :rofl

Some are about 1mm, some are almost 2...I did an experiment today where I poured some out onto the lid, and picked out the tiniest one and dropped it in. I did this three times and she ate them all without spitting them out, but it still took her a while to finish chewing them. I know nls is a good food, but I am sick of them. They never have the formulas I want available to me locally and I am sick of having to order pet food online. I mean I also have golfish flakes that I could force to sink, but I feel like they will disintegrate fast and gross up the water. Ugh I can't wait till she gets bigger and can vaccum the pellets up like yours!;)

What I used to do was that I got an adjustable sea salt grinder, poured the contents into another container for cooking. Then rinsed and dried the salt grinder and filled it with my favorite pellets, which can then be ground to the desired size for tiny goldfish :)

• Supporter

What I used to do was that I got an adjustable sea salt grinder, poured the contents into another container for cooking. Then rinsed and dried the salt grinder and filled it with my favorite pellets, which can then be ground to the desired size for tiny goldfish :)

you genius, you.. :bighug